DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am betting that October will be better and we will get a good model rocket launch in. Something will give somewhere and we will get a HP launch at some point.

I've joined the contingent headed to Oklahoma next weekend in search of a HP fix.

I just might schedule a low power event given that I feel required to fly something in North Texas by 2016. It would be nice to just kick back and fly something. Maybe I'll dust off the VB Lil Wild Thing and cluster some BP!

You boys better get this crap worked out before I get down there next week. I hate to think my last flight of 2015 is already in the history books. Shameful!

All kidding aside, I am greatly looking forward to burning some AP in Texas and by the looks of this thread all of you are as well.

Yeah man, we got you. A bunch of addicts looking for another high. Times are tough but you will be richly rewarded. Patience is a virtue for which I have none. However, it's a matter of time. Bet you haven't seen a winter without snow in a while? Ideal rocket launching weather around here on the norm aside from ice.... It'll work out; so I tell myself :eyepop:.

Winter without snow is more than I feel comfortable asking for. I pray that I never have to experience anything approaching last winter. Words cannot capture how bad it was and at one point I even liked the snow. No more.

Are the current burn bans throughout the Metroplex or mostly north of it? I was in Arlington last month and everything looked very green and healthy compared to past memories. You know what really sucks is I was hoping to burn off my stock of sparkies and skids before I headed down there. Does't look like they will come in handy at all now!

Yes indeed, it's been a difficult year to fly rockets in north Texas. But then again hobby rocketry is and always has been pretty much at the mercy of weather conditions. But there are other useful things that can be done with the original composite propellant to relieve stress. I'll bet your APCP can't do this.....

[video=youtube;XG8y5sPOFGM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG8y5sPOFGM[/video]

Kids, don't try this at home! :no:

Winter without snow is more than I feel comfortable asking for. I pray that I never have to experience anything approaching last winter. Words cannot capture how bad it was and at one point I even liked the snow. No more.

Are the current burn bans throughout the Metroplex or mostly north of it? I was in Arlington last month and everything looked very green and healthy compared to past memories. You know what really sucks is I was hoping to burn off my stock of sparkies and skids before I headed down there. Does't look like they will come in handy at all now!

The last I saw the burn bans were hit or miss throughout North Texas counties. And yes, it's frustrating when things actually look reasonably good with no substantial chance of a fire only to find out a burn ban is in effect. Corsicana is a plowed field from what I hear but in spite of that the burn ban doesn't care. Kind of like the Honey Badger, Burn Ban don't care!

Yes indeed, it's been a difficult year to fly rockets in north Texas. But then again hobby rocketry is and always has been pretty much at the mercy of weather conditions. But there are other useful things that can be done with the original composite propellant to relieve stress. I'll bet your APCP can't do this.....

[video=youtube;XG8y5sPOFGM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG8y5sPOFGM[/video]

Kids, don't try this at home! :no:

Would love to see this but it's disabled now. Ted broke the Internet!

//Strike that, you can only watch it on YouTube.

Are the current burn bans throughout the Metroplex or mostly north of it? ...

This is an accurate county burn ban map: https://tfsfrp.tamu.edu/wildfires/decban.png The DARS Class 1 field is in Collin County (Frisco). Our old Class 2 field is in Grayson County (Gunter). Our new Class 2 field is in Navarro County (Corsicana). We have launched in the past when burn bans were in effect but only with the local fire authorities approval. The City of Frisco allows us to fly Class 1 at our own discretion. Class 2 is different kettle of fish.

Perhaps when the burn bans are over, we can have a limited (lite?) high power event in the remaining available property at Gunter.....

Did we ever figure out how much impulse we can get away with at Gunter 2.0?

If my memory is working (which is always doubtful) we'd be able to do "I" motors on the available portion. A 5000' foot waiver and I motors work well together.

If my memory is working (which is always doubtful) we'd be able to do "I" motors on the available portion. A 5000' foot waiver and I motors work well together.

That works fine. Like you say I motors and 5000' are a good match.

Well dang, I have a baby J KBA reload I'd love to fly. Should put 6 fin rocket about 3800' so no waiver issues there. I wonder if we could ask the homeowners to relocate permanently elsewhere????

Well dang, I have a baby J KBA reload I'd love to fly. Should put 6 fin rocket about 3800' so no waiver issues there. I wonder if we could ask the homeowners to relocate permanently elsewhere????

Only 5 hours to Pawhuska...just sayin.

I'm crossing the finish line of the shower remodel tomorrow, otherwise I'd be there. A day late and a dollar short :facepalm:. I just might throw a temper tantrum in a moment seeing that everybody's have fun but me! BALLS a no go and OK a no go :(.

I'm crossing the finish line of the shower remodel tomorrow, otherwise I'd be there. A day late and a dollar short :facepalm:. I just might throw a temper tantrum in a moment seeing that everybody's have fun but me! BALLS a no go and OK a no go :(.

Well, you can always come up to Macklin Missile Works where I'll blindfold and transport you to a secrete location where we can light the candle on something? And you need not load up all your goodies either!

:wink:

At the urging of my son I'm also embarking on a new building project. [video=youtube;f3fLC07tDPI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3fLC07tDPI[/video]

At the urging of my son I'm also embarking on a new building project. [video=youtube;f3fLC07tDPI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3fLC07tDPI[/video]

A rocket factory in the making at last!!!

I plan to be at tomorrows meeting so if you need me to bring any motors or hardware then just let me know. Thanks.

I would like to go to the meeting myself but you guys realize Baylor is playing during???

You a Bear? Baylor vs. Tech. Should be good. With my 6 and 2 year olds, the DARS meeting is about my only quiet time I get these days....

Yup, I'm a Bear. It's funny, when I first moved to CT nobody had ever heard of Baylor. Now days it seems everyone has. Good on them.

About the launch, I just hope I can make the next one coming up. I have to go away on a business trip for a good chuck of October. Hopefully it will fall in my favor.

Back