DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I come here because I know it is full of enablers.

Oh yeah, fly the L, you'll be fine :headbang:

I'm actually flying a similar setup in my Tomach 54 with an L1000 at Airfest, although it looks like you're going a wee bit higher and faster :horse:

I really, really hope they decide not to plant sorghum this year, or the winds are out of the north (not likely)

Screenshot (2).jpg

I'm a member of both NAR and Tripoli, so either could work. Thanks for the heads up on May 13 launch. You planning on heading down PokerJones? I'll have to see what the family plans allow, but if it works out I'd drive 

Jack

Odds are very good that I will be at the Hearne launch Jack.

I really, really hope they decide not to plant sorghum this year, or the winds are out of the north (not likely)

More possible is we get high enough we clear it on the way down. I made it about center last year going to 14k. I'm ok with being on the other side.

Looks like a fun flight for the Tomach also.

More possible is we get high enough we clear it on the way down. I made it about center last year going to 14k. I'm ok with being on the other side.

Looks like a fun flight for the Tomach also.

So I had to Google Sorghum and came across this:

tall-sorghum.jpg

Son of b*(&#)!!!

Now the "Rocket Pasture" name makes more sense! Land your rocket in that stuff, and it will need to grow in the pasture before the cows come home 😀

Trying to add it to my list. Not sure what year that will be though.

So I had to Google Sorghum and came across this:

tall-sorghum.jpg

Son of b*(&#)!!!

Yep, that's the stuff. Now just imagine walking into that about 100 yards deep (which will take you about 15 minutes, notice they don't plant in rows) on a 90 degree day. And then turning around and walking another 100 yards out carrying a 40 pound rocket, thought that may have been my final resting place that day. Yes, it is sticky.

This how I looked when I got back from the sorghum field, not happy.

DSC_0778.jpg DSC_0788.jpg

The pictures don't do justice to how absolutely filthy Jeff was when he got back from his venture into the sorghum.

On a different note, not only has my work travel schedule put a stop to rocket activities, my computer decided it didn't need a significant part of its old hard drive. During an update, one of the partitions got obliterated. Unfortunately, the part that was jettisoned happened to be that part with all of my pictures (of the kiddos, not just rockets and cars), non-MS programs (like OpenRocket), and files so I get to recreate all of my files (simulation, brewing, reloading, etc.). Yippee.

No, I didn't do a back up. In all the years I've had a computer, I've never had a problem. Famous last words, right?

Wow, that really sucks. The pictures are the sad part, hope you find a way to get them back. I have had a few computers that had fatal crashes so I have 3 back up hard drives now, I am guessing you will also get some back ups soon.

How is Airfest looking for you this year? Getting closer.

That's the really sucky part. I do have a back-up drive, plus a couple of cloud accounts. Just laziness and a "it only happens to other people" attitude.

The real loss is the pics and videos of the kids. Everything else is simply a frustration that can be recreated or started over.

Airfest is looking a lot less likely. That's at the end of the first week of school, so I'm gonna have to stay at home. Especially since I'll have spent over half of this year in Japan by that point. Speaking of which, I leave again on Friday, so I won't be at the meeting this weekend.

Last edited:
Is a data recovery service a possibility? I had a HD at work fry and a recovery service got 80 percent of the data back.

In any event that sucks.

That's a good idea, Chris. I took it in to our now regular computer service guy, and he recovered what he could. I'll get the drive back to see what a recovery service can do.

Yeah, I ordered the L1400 and hardware today. I have a sickness, and only Loki White can treat it...maybe it's an addiction...either way, Loki White!

Nice motor choice! I think that Loki L will get your Mongoose off the pad OK :surprised:

Screenshot (10).png

Agreed, and while that would have gotten me close to 20k it wouldn't have gotten me over the Mach 1.37 I got this rocket to last year on an AT K550. I'm trying to let this one stretch its legs as it is on a three year plan...1) L1400 (2851 N/s), 2) L1040 (3708 N/s), then some serious structural modifications for a final flight (one way or the other) on the M1378 (5361 N/s). If it actually survives that run (and there is certainly risk of not at each stop) it will have earned a glorious retirement.

Loki has brought some seriously violent motors to 54mm. I hope this induces the other manufactures to follow, but I don't know how big the market would be to support such production at multiple manufactures.

Nice motor choice! I think that Loki L will get your Mongoose off the pad OK :surprised:

While I was in the garage last night I swear I heard my launch tower whimper at me.

Last edited:
Yeah, I ordered the L1400 and hardware today. I have a sickness, and only Loki White can treat it...maybe it's an addiction...either way, Loki White!

I have a sickness too! A brand new one to add to the collection. It's called "shingles" and it's a son of the beech! I'l see you all in Gunter...in October.

Sorry to hear about the shingles, Ted. My brother had a case last year at the ripe old age of 46. Have you found anything to help alleviate the symptoms yet?

Sorry to hear about the shingles, Ted. My brother had a case last year at the ripe old age of 46. Have you found anything to help alleviate the symptoms yet?

I've been taking acyclovir, gabapentin and Tylenol w/codine for pain. I'm out of medications right now and my doctor is dragging his feet to authorize a refill. Aspirin, acetaminophen and ibuprofen is the best I can do at the moment. I've been doing carpentry work on my son's new building and at first I thought I'd either pulled a muscle, been bitten by a brown recluse or shot in the back. Shingles never occurred to me as I had them back in 1993-4 and at that time it manifested as skin lesions of the left side of my face and neck. This time, it took the form of deep tissue pain without the surface lesions. Either way, it pretty well knocked me out of the running. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy and building or flying rockets is way back on the back burner. :cry::cry::cry:

Agreed, and while that would have gotten me close to 20k it wouldn't have gotten me over the Mach 1.37 I got this rocket to last year on an AT K550. I'm trying to let this one stretch its legs as it is on a three year plan...1) L1400 (2851 N/s), 2) L1040 (3708 N/s), then some serious structural modifications for a final flight (one way or the other) on the M1378 (5361 N/s). If it actually survives that run (and there is certainly risk of not at each stop) it will have earned a glorious retirement.

I've been a bit nostalgic regarding the AT K250 really long burn 54 (https://www.thrustcurve.org/motorsearch.jsp?id=306) since I first saw it in the early 90's so was planning to fly it in my The Dude rocket before I drilled it into the ground in Asa. The disposable version is no longer available but they have an LMS version available with similar performance. However, it's not totally disposable since you have to use RMS closures (the reload comes with a non-anodized aluminum but disposable case https://www.buyrocketmotors.com/blog/whens-the-last-time-you-saw-a-k250/). Anyhow, it's cool that Loki has a long burn reloadable version available for a 2800 case even though it's about 3 seconds shorter in burn time. May need to consider adding Airfest to the calendar to see your flight....

I know they may be a bit hard to get right now but CTI makes motors that are great for the Mongoose 54.

For long burn you can't beat the L265 - nearly a full 10 seconds in the 6XL case, 2645 Ns. (the AT K250 had 2353NS, the new K270 shows 1968Ns). Unfortunately due to a bad tower setup my Mongoose only hit a little over 19,000', but went about 4.5 miles sideways!

The need for speed can be satisfied with the L935, 3147Ns in 3.4 seconds. It sent my Mongoose to 23,500 at Mach 2.3.

The Loki L1400 has 2850Ns so it's in-between the two motors. I flew the Loki 38mm K627 last fall, that was a great flight as well. Scott was very helpful in answering my questions about it.

Best bang for the buck was getting over 7,000' on an CTI I55 in a little MD 38mm rocket.

It's great that there are so many great motor choices available.

Tony

Last edited:
I know they may be a bit hard to get right now but CTI makes motors that are great for the Mongoose 54.

For long burn you can't beat the L265 - nearly a full 10 seconds in the 6XL case, 2645 Ns. (the AT K250 had 2353NS, the new K270 shows 1968Ns). Unfortunately due to a bad tower setup my Mongoose only hit a little over 19,000', but went about 4.5 miles sideways!

The need for speed can be satisfied with the L935, 3147Ns in 3.4 seconds. It sent my Mongoose to 23,500 at Mach 2.3.

The Loki L1400 has 2850Ns so it's in-between the two motors. I flew the Loki 38mm K627 last fall, that was a great flight as well. Scott was very helpful in answering my questions about it.

Best bang for the buck was getting over 7,000' on an CTI I55 in a little MD 38mm rocket.

It's great that there are so many great motor choices available.

Tony

Thanks, as I don;t fly any CTI I don't really know their line well. Part of the reason I'm going to Loki is that the hardware is perfect for EX also. If I'm honest with myself it is a question of when, not if, I start mixing. That and Loki White is just so "angry" looking compared to other motors I've seen. Almost feels like one more letter worth of noise and fire from that formula.

Yesterday was just too perfect not to go fly something, somewhere and somehow. So despite the fact that I'm recovering from bladder surgery and now the shingles, my buddy Nick (AKA "TALON") came up from Dallas and together we went over to the Gunter launch site to light the candle on a few of his favorite birds. We arrived about 4:00 pm and discovered a fairly large gathering of people assembled on the western shore of the lake near the damn. I approached this crowd and was informed that the gathering was in celebration of one fellow's 47th birthday. So I informed him of our intentions to fly a few rockets. He said he was fully aware of the rocket activity and said it wouldn't bother him or his well wishers in the least. (I think I've met this guy before over at the Martinek grain elevator) Anyway, they proceeded with their BBQ party while we moved about 100 yards to the west and set up our GSE.

First up was an Estes Ventris on an Aerotech G40-7. The flight was arrow straight and deployment was perfect using a Jolly Logic Chute Release. Even so she drifted a long way toward the southeast, landing south of the dam in some very tall grass.

Next was an Estes D-Region Tomahawk on an Aerotech E20-7. Once again the flight was seamless but with a much shorter walk. The only mishap was losing one of the fins in the grass upon touchdown.

Then came Nick's beautiful rendition of the Estes Big Bertha. I believe it was flown on an Estes C6-5 an recovered about 100 feet east/northeast of our location...much to the relief of Nick.

The final flight was of an unpainted, unnamed, minimum diameter special flown on a B6-2. Unfortunately it disappeared in flight and apparently fell into the lake.

The grass has been recently been cut for hay and laid in windrows ready for bailing, which will surely be done this upcoming week. It should be in great shape for the scheduled launch on the 20th. All in all it was a great launch on a perfect day with a great friend, and good to be out of the house despite my current aches and pains! :smile:

Yesterday was just too perfect not to go fly something, somewhere and somehow. So despite the fact that I'm recovering from bladder surgery and now the shingles, my buddy Nick (AKA "TALON") came up from Dallas and together we went over to the Gunter launch site to light the candle on a few of his favorite birds. We arrived about 4:00 pm and discovered a fairly large gathering of people assembled on the western shore of the lake near the damn. I approached this crowd and was informed that the gathering was in celebration of one fellow's 47th birthday. So I informed him of our intentions to fly a few rockets. He said he was fully aware of the rocket activity and said it wouldn't bother him or his well wishers in the least. (I think I've met this guy before over at the Martinek grain elevator) Anyway, they proceeded with their BBQ party while we moved about 100 yards to the west and set up our GSE.

First up was an Estes Ventris on an Aerotech G40-7. The flight was arrow straight and deployment was perfect using a Jolly Logic Chute Release. Even so she drifted a long way toward the southeast, landing south of the dam in some very tall grass.

Next was an Estes D-Region Tomahawk on an Aerotech E20-7. Once again the flight was seamless but with a much shorter walk. The only mishap was losing one of the fins in the grass upon touchdown.

Then came Nick's beautiful rendition of the Estes Big Bertha. I believe it was flown on an Estes C6-5 an recovered about 100 feet east/northeast of our location...much to the relief of Nick.

The final flight was of an unpainted, unnamed, minimum diameter special flown on a B6-2. Unfortunately it disappeared in flight and apparently fell into the lake.

The grass has been recently been cut for hay and laid in windrows ready for bailing, which will
surely be done this upcoming week. It should be in great shape for the scheduled launch on the 20th. All in all it was a great launch on a perfect day with a great friend, and good to be out of
the house despite my current aches and pains! :smile:

Yes Sir Tmack, it was a picture perfect day to light some candles! I think I lost the fin on the DRT, because I was lazy! Instead of walking the 5' to get the body, I dragged it to me with the shock cord:facepalm: I like to think that we sacrificed the last rocket (in the lake) to the rocket gods:eyepop: for not taken any of my rockets, as both the DRT & the Ventris was in danger of
getting their feet wet:shock: We do not get many days here in Texas with the temp in the 80s & 0-5 mph wind!:cool:

Today I took a spin by Gunter and visited the launch site. The ground is dry, hard and cracked here and there. The grass has been cut, raked and bailed into large hay rolls which dot the field. If the rain misses us again in southern Grayson county it should be accessible by automobiles but we are overdue for a heavy rain event and the land really needs it. Keep your fingers crossed and say your prayers.

Looks like there's a launch in Gunter this weekend. You guys going? Any high power planned?

Back