DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I could make it today to see Chris' German buddy and discuss Airfest, TARC, etc. alas, not in the cards today. You all enjoy.

Jack

This thread is dangerously close to page 2! What's everybody working on?

Playin' with my grandson. What does "... close to page 2" mean ?

View attachment 317177

Now that is a Steely Eyed Missile Man of the future.

Also, I think he meant this thread was about to slip off of page 1 of the section of TRF.

Additionally, I'm working on an Estes MIRV. After finishing up the beast I'm burned out on building big rockets for awhile. I think some LP, odd rocks and maybe a MP/low-HP upscale will be the builds for the rest of the year.

Lastly, what would it take to do a LP/MP night launch? Maybe in the fall/early winter when the days get shorter, and we can run a Gunter launch late. Yes, I am volunteering to help with this, so I'm not just suggesting work for others...even if I have a conflict (swimming or a race) that day I can almost always make it by dark to help with operation and tear down. I don't know what special rules govern night launches though. FOUND IT in this thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?34056-Night-flying-with-NAR-Rules

Night Launch Rules and Regulations

The purpose for holding a night launch:
To Advance the State of the Art in Onboard
NIGHT ILLUMINATION TRACKING EQUIPMENT

FAA requirements: Obtain a full FAA Waiver

FAR-101.1: All daylight flights shall cease at sunset, when the sun falls below the visible horizon.
Reduction of maximum altitude to 2500 feet
Four quadrant aircraft lookouts
All models must be safety inspected during daytime operation, including all engines to be used during night flights. All models must have made a successful daytime flight in full night configuration to be considered for inclusion.
All models must be lighted. Models between 1 lb and 3.3 lbs must have a high-intensity light source such as a strobe or high-output LEDs (minimum 2000 mcd visible at 2000 feet).
Special notification to BWI airport and a separate NOTAM

Club and Operational Requirements

Log all observed aircraft entering airspace during night launch operations.
All attending persons are additional aircraft lookouts. Please keep looking.
Keep noise and talking to a minimum during countdowns. Keep conversations away from the range head.
Cylume chemical light sticks shall be used only on models and/or gliders powered by B motors or less. NO EXCEPTIONS
All lanterns and flashlights are to have red lens filters. See Night-RSO if you need one.

Having attended a night launch a few years ago I can attest that even B and C motors are really cool. I think the big Estes bp Es and Fs would be super sweet.

Last edited:

I'm serious about helping make this one go. It could be a really cool one especially when the grass gets short (i.e. dies and the cows eat it) to make glow stick recovery more doable. I guess it all comes down to if the FAA would allow it or not, and if the club as a whole would be interested. I got some semi-transparent fluorescent printer filament, and an idea that involves some blacklight LEDs kicking around too.

What about a night launch/campout? Not sure if this idea has been tossed around before?

This Saturday (4/15/17) looks like a kite flyin' day. We'll make a go/nogo call later this afternoon.

I'm serious about helping make this one go. It could be a really cool one especially when the grass gets short (i.e. dies and the cows eat it) to make glow stick recovery more doable. I guess it all comes down to if the FAA would allow it or not, and if the club as a whole would be interested. I got some semi-transparent fluorescent printer filament, and an idea that involves some blacklight LEDs kicking around too.

FAA regulations prohibit flying Class 2 rockets between sunset and sunrise. You could have a Class 2 night launch if the FAA specifically waived that rule.

On the other hand, there are no such restrictions on Class 1.

Once upon a time long long ago, DARS held a night launch at Windom. The thing I use in place of a memory says that there were two flyers (Bob Wilson and Dave Schaeffer?) Not exactly an overwhelming response. BP powered rockets were the most interesting/visible because they do emit sparks visible at night.

Strobes are completely worthless because it is nearly impossible to track the slow blink rate. Continuous lighting (LEDs or glow stick) is best.

FAA regulations prohibit flying Class 2 rockets between sunset and sunrise. You could have a Class 2 night launch if the FAA specifically waived that rule.

On the other hand, there are no such restrictions on Class 1.

Once upon a time long long ago, DARS held a night launch at Windom. The thing I use in place of a memory says that there were two flyers (Bob Wilson and Dave Schaeffer?) Not exactly an overwhelming response. BP powered rockets were the most interesting/visible because they do emit sparks visible at night.

Strobes are completely worthless because it is nearly impossible to track the slow blink rate. Continuous lighting (LEDs or glow stick) is best.

So no FAA approval or notice is required for a class 1 night launch? Class 1 would make me plenty happy.

Last edited:
Cl(VII), I have a solution for you:

[video=youtube;iAUrDMbK4pc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAUrDMbK4pc[/video]

[video=youtube;Uj3e6xK5s9I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj3e6xK5s9I[/video]

You should check out a PAT gathering or better yet a PGI convention if you're willing to travel. No recovery necessary!!!

Cl(VII), I have a solution for you:

[video=youtube;iAUrDMbK4pc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAUrDMbK4pc[/video]

[video=youtube;Uj3e6xK5s9I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj3e6xK5s9I[/video]

You should check out a PAT gathering or better yet a PGI convention if you're willing to travel. No recovery necessary!!!

The better half is very accommodating of rockets, borderline encourging even, but I'm not about to press my luck with that. Awesome though, no doubt.

I hear ya. While we're at it, how about a rather large BP motor cluster with spin stabilization and an abort feature?

[video=youtube;Jn04oRZ11fI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn04oRZ11fI[/video]

So is Sat a go in Gunter? Should I bother packing up and running sims?

I believe it is a go on Saturday but they may limit it to model rockets due the expected high winds. DARS is flying high power at Prairie Hill on the 29th also if you would like to come fly some bigger/higher rockets.

Gunter is a "GO" for tomorrow. Wind forecast, and the likelihood that wet ground may prevent us from getting all the way into the field will prevent us from flying high power. Baby H ? Under 3k ? some type of delayed recovery deployment ? Maybe, but bring some lower impulse to fly as well. And please don't shoot the messenger... or the piano player !

dontshootme.jpg

Was a nice day but I wasn't paying attention to the wind.... How'd the launch go?

How's it looking for HP at Prairie Hill next weekend, April 29?

Current long range weather does not look too promising, but it's a little early to trust that.

If we can pull off a launch, I'll like to attempt my L2

Anyone else in?

Jack

Weather wise or otherwise?

Definitely both now. The land owner has locked out the drag strip operator (our contact) at Prairie Hill over some dispute and he has stated that he will no longer be associated with the strip. We are now back to trying to negotiate directly with the "rather unstable" landowner. We can fly HP at Gunter if weather and winds permit but this weekend is a wash either way.

How's it looking for HP at Prairie Hill next weekend, April 29?

Current long range weather does not look too promising, but it's a little early to trust that.

If we can pull off a launch, I'll like to attempt my L2

Anyone else in?

Jack

Jack are you certifying NAR or Tripoli? There is always the May 13th launch at Hearne Municipal with Tripoli Houston if nothing else works out before then.

Jack are you certifying NAR or Tripoli? There is always the May 13th launch at Hearne Municipal with Tripoli Houston if nothing else works out before then.

I'm a member of both NAR and Tripoli, so either could work. Thanks for the heads up on May 13 launch. You planning on heading down PokerJones? I'll have to see what the family plans allow, but if it works out I'd drive 😀

Jack

Bad news regarding Prairie Hill, but you won't regret going to the Hearne launch. Great field and good folks.

Since my schedule never sinks up with any other launch I've been thinking about Labor day, and trying to decide on my "other" flight for that weekend. I think I came up with a bad idea.

I've had the order window open for about 2 hours. I'm a little spooked by the 55.6 G acceleration. I've done that to a rocket before with a Warp9, just not to one I won't be able to see. I have no worries about the rocket construction. It is the electronics sleds I worry about more than anything...I'll be 3D printing some new one's for this rocket as the old sled fits an altimeter I on longer trust.

I come here because I know it is full of enablers.

Last edited:
Back