DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last Wednesday I had occasion to travel to Pilot Point so I swung by the Gunter HP site. The northern portion of the land is owned by Donnie Martinek and bordered by Old Skaggs School Road on the east and Stiff Chapel on the north and is covered by corn that looks like it is ready for harvest soon. There is about 519 acres in the Martinek tracts which are not under the control of Grayson County Land & Cattle II, which is owned by a large family owned corporation.

Will the land owned by Martinek be available for use by DARS once the corn is picked or is this deal now dead?

Any odds makers out there? If so, what's the prospect of Corsicana going down at the end of this month?

Ted, if that's the portion of the site north of the pole barn, then it is dependent on how far we can set up from any inhabited structures.

Robert, I'm not an odds maker (not much of a gambler, really) but I'd lay 5:1 odds we don't fly at the end of the month. I think it will depend on if our history with the city of Frisco and Collin county fire marshals will carry any weight with the local FD folks down there.

Chuck, I just did some Google Earth and Grayson County CAD Map research. Here attached is the Google Earth image of Martinek's portion of the "Gunter HP Launch Site. I put a placemark at a point approximately 2,500 feet due west of Old Skaggs School Road and 1,500 feet due north of the nearest residence (the Cole farm) whose property abuts Martinek. If this were a launch pad setup there would still be about 2,500 feet of distance to Stiff Chapel Road on the north. Since prevailing wind is usually from the southeast there would be even more room. It could certainly be used for low and mid-power and perhaps even some level one high power. I have no idea what Mr. Martinek would think about any of this, let alone the FAA or NAR folks. Just a suggestion.

:cheers:

Gunter HP site.jpg

Last edited:
And I did some "ruler measurements" on Google Earth and got these approximate numbers.

From the intersection of Stiff Chapel and Old Skaggs School Roads and southward, go 3,240 feet. Then go due west 3,190 feet, then north 930 feet, then 2,610 feet west, then 2,290 feet north to Stiff Chapel and finally 5,840 east back to the point of beginning.

Chuck, I just did some Google Earth and Grayson County CAD Map research. Here attached is the Google Earth image of Martinek's portion of the "Gunter HP Launch Site. I put a placemark at a point approximately 2,500 feet due west of Old Skaggs School Road and 1,500 feet due north of the nearest residence (the Cole farm) whose property abuts Martinek. If this were a launch pad setup there would still be about 2,500 feet of distance to Stiff Chapel Road on the north. Since prevailing wind is usually from the southeast there would be even more room. It could certainly be used for low and mid-power and perhaps even some level one high power. I have no idea what Mr. Martinek would think about any of this, let alone the FAA or NAR folks. Just a suggestion.

:cheers:

Hmmmm. Is that pond dry now? Otherwise, the pond is not optimally located for dry recovery scenarios with a wind from the south or SW......:)

Or is the place mark not exactly where you were talking about launching?

Last edited:
Hmmmm. Is that pond dry now? Otherwise, the pond is not optimally located for dry recovery scenarios with a wind from the south or SW......:)

Or is the place mark not exactly where you were talking about launching?

That pond is most nearly full at present, perhaps about 2-3 feet low of 100% full. The temporary placemark was arbitrary and based on being a minimum of 1,500 feet from any occupied structure or road. That pond is deceptively large. The dam is roughly 600 feet and the pond itself is nearly 1/4 mile (1,320 feet) long. That makes it about 10 acres when completely full. I did a new placemark on the map, placing it about 1,800 feet NNW of the nearest house and about 3,100 feet from Old Skaggs School Road. Since the prevailing winds in the summer/early fall are SSE to NNW, this might work for smaller high power flights and still miss the pond. Of course this is just my speculation and once the button is pushed all bets are off. LOL!

Gunter field.jpg

I've been playing with Google Earth tools and figured out how to outline things, sort of. :rant: Anyway, here's another space shot showing the property outlined in florescent green.

gunter overlay.jpg

The typical wind direction would have recovery happening in the vicinity of the buildings on the NW corner of the property.

That said, when we planned the Mega Launch and DARSTAR contests at this site, we also discussed allowing smaller HP flights. I think the real problem would be access, since the only really practical launch site is a long way from any visible gate. I don't know if getting cars and the equipment trailer to the highlighted spot is without risk of damage to cars or the property. I haven't personally seen this part of the Gunter launch site, so it may not be an issue.

I think it's worth investigating.

Chuck, those buildings you mentioned at the NW corner of the Martinek property are normally unoccupied sheds and also a hay storage area. And yes, getting to the interior of the property is problematic on a number of levels. Road access is one and terrain is another. If you enlarge the map and do a Google Street View along the perimeter you may see an entrance or three and dirt trails to the remote parts of the interior. The last time I personally spoke with Mr. Martinek he did not seem particularly happy to hear from me. Still, I think this is worth investigating especially considering that Preston Road/289 is nearing completion which would make for an easy trip from north Dallas.

On another note, I swung by the Panther Creek site in Frisco after my doctor's appointment this morning. All I can say is there is a nice stand of hay that needs to be cut and bailed. :y:

By way of comparison, the northern portion of the Frisco site is roughly 1,320 feet square or about 40 acres. As such you could put 13 such areas into the Martinek/Gunter field. This is wearing me out so I'm going to take a nap. :yawn:

Last edited:
On another note, I swung by the Panther Creek site in Frisco after my doctor's appointment this morning. All I can say is there is a nice stand of hay that needs to be cut and bailed. :y:

That doesn't sound too promising for Saturday. Ugh.

I guess there will be an email or a yahoo groups message if Frisco gets officially scrubbed?

Sure hope we get to launch. I have several new things to get in the air.

That doesn't sound too promising for Saturday. Ugh.

I guess there will be an email or a yahoo groups message if Frisco gets officially scrubbed?

Sure hope we get to launch. I have several new things to get in the air.

The cancellation email went out last night. I walked the field yesterday. The eastern part is high and dry and that is where we would need to set up based on the forecasted wind. My attempts to get Frisco Parks and Rec to get it cut this week failed. :(:facepalm::mad::confused2::sad::cry:

Collin County is under a burn ban now as well.

What isn't allowed during a burn ban exactly? I recall always hearing "outdoor burning" but what is that?? I know this wreaks havoc on fireworks sales from time to time but is that just because some people decide to forgo these type of activities or that they're specifically prohibited?

The cancellation email went out last night. I walked the field yesterday. The eastern part is high and dry and that is where we would need to set up based on the forecasted wind. My attempts to get Frisco Parks and Rec to get it cut this week failed. :(:facepalm::mad::confused2::sad::cry:

Collin County is under a burn ban now as well.

Bummer. I saw they hope to possibly get it cut and have the launch on the 22nd. I have promised to go to an RC airplane event in Little Rock that day. Argh.

What isn't allowed during a burn ban exactly? I recall always hearing "outdoor burning" but what is that?? I know this wreaks havoc on fireworks sales from time to time but is that just because some people decide to forgo these type of activities or that they're specifically prohibited?

Well, since you asked, https://www.co.collin.tx.us/fire_marshal/Pages/burn.aspx There is a link to a state document that spell out the prohibitions. Rockets and fireworks are not specifically listed. The burn ban itself hasn't stopped us in the past at Frisco. It's more the waist high dry grass and brush (and too much of it). The City of Plano Parks and Rec will tell you (when you get a permit for Bob Woodruff Park) not to launch during a burn ban, so local jurisdictions can add additional rules.

Last edited:
Common sense should dictate given the current conditions. All that rain back in May-June caused an explosion of plant growth and that lush green is now a tinderbox in the middle of suburban Frisco. (There have already been numerous small fires along highways as result of careless smokers pitching lit cigarettes out of their vehicles.) It's Texas, it's summer and it sucks! But it was the right decision to stand down until conditions improve.

Most times, my sense is anything but common. :p I hate cancelling launches.

This morning I searched the Grayson County, Texas website to find out if there was a burn ban in place where I live. There isn't but I'm betting the county commissioners will implement a burn ban tomorrow based on the obvious. I also found this information:

https://www.co.grayson.tx.us/users/OEM/Outdoor_Burning_in_Texas.pdf

Apparently, there really isn't anything that specifically bans rocket launching but it's probably not a good idea under current conditions.

Yeah, I think most things pyrotechnic just require high level discretion in situations like these; unless of course they're specifically prohibited like Sam mentioned in the Bob Woodruff Park permit.

In any event, I'm really looking forward to some HPR in Dallas hopefully very, very, soon!!!!

Yeah, I think most things pyrotechnic just require high level discretion in situations like these; unless of course they're specifically prohibited like Sam mentioned in the Bob Woodruff Park permit.

In any event, I'm really looking forward to some HPR in Dallas hopefully very, very, soon!!!!

The local launch drought has to end sooner or later.

We might have to invade Hearne again soon.

The local launch drought has to end sooner or later.

We might have to invade Hearne again soon.

Asa should get going around October also, and Marlin is good people. Still hoping to play a home game before then though. That being said, discretion is the order of the day with the copious, dry burnables everywhere. I gained an appreciation for how fast grass fires can spread after I got my backside warmed in Hearne spraying down that fire...I really thought that spot was out before I moved past it...nope.

Yeah, a home game sure would be nice. Asa sounds cool as well. Anybody going to Airfest? About a 5% chance for me...

No Airfest for me, I'll be in San Antonio for my parents' 50th anniversary. For some reason, they think that's more important than a rocket launch.

I'll also miss the launch this weekend (assuming it happens). My daughters have voted for a family outing not involving walking a large field in the heat. I'm not sure if they're weenies or FAR more intelligent than me.

So my only hope for a launch anytime soon is Corsicana, and that's not looking too promising. Sigh.

Yeah, a home game sure would be nice. Asa sounds cool as well. Anybody going to Airfest? About a 5% chance for me...
I'm going to miss Airfest too, already have plans to be in Colorado the first week of September. If we don't find a field soon I am thinking about going up to Tulsa at the end of September for their High Frontier 12. It is about the same drive as Argonina and you can camp on site. I NEED to fly something soon.

Flash Flood Warning in Navarro County!!!! Good? Bad? Nothing at all???

KDFW Channel 4 reported that there indeed were flash floods in Navarro County and that Corisicana received 5 inches of rain today! Keep your fingers crossed boys and girls!

This Saturday actually worked out for being able to attend Frisco, any word on the field? I spent part of the evening rehabbing a few dinged up LPR to be flight ready.

Edit: just saw on the DARS website we are on for Saturday. It says the growth is still there. Is it thick enough that I may lose a 4 year old in it...he does come with a built in audible tracker?

Last edited:
Back