DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For lack of a better name and to identify my new 4" 3x38 scratch rocket file, I just finished and named it "Triple Threat". This may be one of the last flights of the day at Corsicana, it has been a while (2001) since I have flown and a few successful launches should give me a little confidence boost prior to the cluster. I plan the first launch to be on 3 I140's putting it up to about 4500'.

Very nice!

For whatever reason I've been unable to post to the DARS newsgroup for several months. I tried another email address but no joy. Anyhow, my son has swim lessons tomorrow so I'm unable to attend tomorrow's meeting. However, if you kind gent's would let Jack, Suzy, and everyone else know that we'll be at the Corsicana launch I would appreciate it.

Also, I plan another Pre Order on Monday so if you guys are in need of anything special then just let me know.

Thanks in advance.

For whatever reason I've been unable to post to the DARS newsgroup for several months. I tried another email address but no joy. ...

I got three different emails from you so something got through. Just another disturbance in the Force. :wink:

I would like to make it to a meeting, but I keep having conflicts in schedule.

Tomorrow I am running a RC seaplane fly in at Lake Worth. And flying some seaplanes as well.

Still planning on making the Frisco launch on the 15th and the HP launch at the end of the month.

I got three different emails from you so something got through. Just another disturbance in the Force. :wink:

Wow, three! I saw one come through late last night but that was it. Strange days have found us.

I would like to make it to a meeting, but I keep having conflicts in schedule.

Tomorrow I am running a RC seaplane fly in at Lake Worth. And flying some seaplanes as well.

Still planning on making the Frisco launch on the 15th and the HP launch at the end of the month.

That sounds like much more fun. Bring us some pictures.

The good news is that the field will be clear of crops at the end of the month. The not so good news is that Navarro County is under a burn ban. BUT... the P.O.T.D.A.R.S. will attempt to make contact with the appropriate fire authority having jurisdiction to see if they'll allow us to proceed. Stay tuned !!! :eyepop:

https://tfsfrp.tamu.edu/wildfires/decban.png

Jack emailed me about the burn ban this weekend. I'm under the impression this is more of a logistical thing. It's hard to imagine they wouldn't allow us to proceed and acres of plowed field. Is this a Volunteer Fire Department? I bet they would be totally on board with us based on prior experience in similar circumstances :).

Jack emailed me about the burn ban this weekend. I'm under the impression this is more of a logistical thing. It's hard to imagine they wouldn't allow us to proceed and acres of plowed field. Is this a Volunteer Fire Department? I bet they would be totally on board with us based on prior experience in similar circumstances :).

You might be right. I certainly want to fly on the 29th! Landowner permission is job one and we have that. I don't know who the local fire crew is there. Part of the discussion today was if the field is outside of a local jurisdiction like the town of Kerens. This being our first visit, and there being an official burn ban in place, I think getting the AHJ on board early is a good thing. I still wouldn't call it a 100% lock but I'm planning on a launch that weekend, until I hear otherwise.

You might be right. I certainly want to fly on the 29th! Landowner permission is job one and we have that. I don't know who the local fire crew is there. Part of the discussion today was if the field is outside of a local jurisdiction like the town of Kerens. This being our first visit, and there being an official burn ban in place, I think getting the AHJ on board early is a good thing. I still wouldn't call it a 100% lock but I'm planning on a launch that weekend, until I hear otherwise.

Jack's heading down to Corsicana? Anybody know when?

Ok, I read my post 3 times and could find nothing that said such a thing. Did you hear this somewhere else ? Why did you quote me ? :confused:

Ooops.... Should read, "Is Jack heading to Corsicana....."

From a discussion I had with him at the meeting, yes, Jack is heading down to Corsicana. It will be whenever he gets time scheduled with the landowner. The landowner needs Jack to come down and pick a specifc site for the launch. Jack is going to use the opportunity to (hopefully) have a productive chat with the relevant fire marshal.

One other thing that was discussed and scheduled at the meeting:

This Sunday (8/9) we will be having an equipment clean/refurb session at Jack's house to prep the HP and model gear for this month's launches. We are slated to start around 5:30 and work for about 2 hours. Along with the launch equipment, if anyone is handy with a paintbrush, the trailer could use some touch-up work on the logos.

We are about to have a bit of a heat wave with high temps at 104 and above for a week starting Thursday. Ouch.

Sure hope it abates a little for the model rocket launch n the 15th. And for Corsicana as well.

I might have to be done launching at the model rocket launch by 1-2pm.

Got this email from Jack this morning, all I know.

....the three officials that we need to pull onside to get past the Burn-Ban are not yet convinced, so there is an increased probability that the High Power Launch (set for the 29th) will be called off. Suzy and I went down to the site this week and met with the land owner. Mr Crawford was agreeable to us using a square mile of his place, and was even scheduling to have the rest of the dead crop tilled under by our date. But we were unable to meet with either of the VFD Fire Chiefs (Kerens and Powell) from whom we need support. So with only luke warm support from the County Emergency Manager, it is LIKELY that our launch will not happen. I will spend another week on the phone to these guys, and go down and meet in person if it will help. Stay Tuned...
FYI
--Jack

In addition to the update on the Corsicana launch, Jack postponed the equipment refurb until next Sunday, Aug 23. For some reason, he doesn't want to be climbing in and out of the trailer in 107 degree heat. Can't say I disagree with him.

I have yet to meet a small town official who would refuse a suitable gratuity so long as it was tendered in cash. :facepalm:

Will keep fingers crossed for the end of the month and that the local officials see things our way.

Speaking of burn bans, how are the conditions at Frisco for the low power launch this coming weekend? Too dry to fly? Good to go?

Will keep fingers crossed for the end of the month and that the local officials see things our way.

Speaking of burn bans, how are the conditions at Frisco for the low power launch this coming weekend? Too dry to fly? Good to go?

I took a ride up there this morning to take a look. The western half of the field (from Honey Grove) was cut back but the eastern half, including our typical range area, is still long and wild. The Frisco Fire Marshall has given us the ability to make our own call so I think we should be good to go with our normal precautions. Bringing a couple of gallon jugs of water to augment my mine would be a good thing. :) And maybe a weed wacker. :):)

Last edited:
I took a ride up there this morning to take a look. The western half of the field (from Honey Grove) was cut back but the eastern half, including our typical range area, is still long and wild. The Frisco Fire Marshall has given us the ability to make our own call so I think we should be good to go with our normal precautions. Bringing a couple of gallon jugs of water to augment my mine would be a good thing. :) And maybe a weed wacker. :):)

Good deal and will do on the extra water. My trimmer is loaned out to my stepson, so that might not work out. More than wiling to help do some weed trimming if others can bring trimmers. I went to the the DARS web site and read up after my previous post and am glad you are much more optimistic than it was.

Refresh my memory. What are the practical motors and altitudes for Frisco?

Most of my stuff is RC or a non issue motor and altitude wise, but wanted to launch my new AT Strong Arm on a G40 or alternatively an F24 or F50 if the winds are mild.

Refresh my memory. What are the practical motors and altitudes for Frisco?

My idea for max altitude is in the 1000 ft neighborhood. We've flown higher there without any problem BUT now that the field north of Panther Creek is growing McMansions instead of corn we really want to avoid any landings there. I would bring the G40 and the F motors and we'll see how the winds aloft are blowing that day.

They caught this on a third Saturday! Alot has changed in eight years. When we started there were only a few frames up west of Honey Grove, and cows, corn and sorghum north of Panther Creek and east of the tree line.

2015-08-10 Frisco field.jpg

They caught this on a third Saturday! Alot has changed in eight years. When we started there were only a few frames up west of Honey Grove, and cows, corn and sorghum north of Panther Creek and east of the tree line.

View attachment 269772

I saw that picture at lunch today while looking up the park into on google before you posted and was going to ask if that happened to be a DARS launch going on. Too funny!

Saturday is looking like 101 for a high and winds around 5mph from ENE. Not an optimal wind direction, but not much of it. Temp about 92 at noon.

Last edited:
I saw that picture at lunch today while looking up the park into on google before you posted and was going to ask if that happened to be a DARS launch going on. Too funny!

Around two years ago google got a real good shot when DARS held a launch near Panther Pkwy. The image caught the smoke of a launch. You can see this pic at the DARS website, Shroudlines Page, Jan./Feb. Issue.

I am going to miss the Frisco launch this Sat. Hopefully to start my Estes Ventris for the (hopefully) HPR launch on the 29th.

I could see my white 2001 Tundra parked along the flight line in that Google Earth image. Soon, I look for the entire area of the DFW metroplex to be completely paved over with concrete. This will eliminate any risk of fire at launches but will also make for some hard landings. Yipee! I can't wait! :rant:

Latest posts

Back