DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyrobob

Reaction score
Just got confirmation that pending the crop being harvested, the first High Power Launch in Corsicana has been scheduled for August 29th. Jack just updated the the DARS calendar as well: https://dars.org/August.htm

With a waiver to 9250' AGL, I'm definitely thinking of a J90 or J135 in my 4" scratch build. This would put it around 5k' and 6k'.

Let me know if you guys need anything special for the launch.

Last edited:
Awesome. :) I should be there...

9250' though... My MD might break that. I might have to rethink my choice in motors. :confused:

Awesome. :) I should be there...

9250' though... My MD might break that. I might have to rethink my choice in motors. :confused:

What size MD Rocket & Motor are you thinking about flying? It would be awfully hard to break that waiver with a level 1 motor.

I'm gonna need an I59WN and a plugged forward closure. Looking forward to having a motor burn past 4000'. Thinking about it makes me giggle.

I'm gonna need an I59WN and a plugged forward closure. Looking forward to having a motor burn past 4000'. Thinking about it makes me giggle.

I'm planning to fly that one then too as long as the wind isn't too high.

What size MD Rocket & Motor are you thinking about flying? It would be awfully hard to break that waiver with a level 1 motor.

It's a 29mm MD designed around the I205. It's simmed to go around 9500-10000 ft. Those numbers may be a bit optimistic but that's what rocksim has predicted. I originally designed it to break mach on a G motor.

Here's the link to the build thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=121456
Gt-R - A 29mm MD Rocket - Build Thread

Very cool looking build Robert, I love the MDs. I flew a MD 29 on an I200 a few years ago, haven't seen it since :(. Would have loved to have GPS back then, you're going to need it to find this bird on an I205. I hope I get to see it fly at Corsicana.

I've been giving serious thought to its bigger brother, the K375WN in either a resurected 5.5" LOC scratch that I crashed in the early 90's or a new 3" FG scratch.

Very cool looking build Robert, I love the MDs. I flew a MD 29 on an I200 a few years ago, haven't seen it since :(. Would have loved to have GPS back then, you're going to need it to find this bird on an I205. I hope I get to see it fly at Corsicana.

Thanks! Hopefully it'll be able to fly in August. :)

Last edited:
Naah. I have a small RC Space Shuttle already and the Shuttle has been done RC in a lot of sizes.

I have a couple of other things in mind for RC and HP motors. One that is partly done is 4" diameter RC scale up of my 2" diameter Free flight MiG-21, for H and I power.

View attachment 267977

Holy crap, that is freakin awesome!

Holy crap, that is freakin awesome!

It ought to be fun...:)

It will have a fiberglass inlet shock cone that will dispense water ballast out the back near the motor mount during boost to correct the CG position as the propellant burns off. Probably going to be bright red and silver in a airshow team color scheme for visibility. Finish will be Monokote or Ultrakote to avoid a lot of primer sanding and added weight...:)

The 38mm motor mount is already in place. I have a mold for the clear canopy ready to go. Just need to put it to the front of the build pile.

So, I visited the Bob stash today...

image.jpg

Not pictured, 75 mm phenolic MM, CRs, 1/4" honeycomb plate. Throw in a retainer and some plywood and you have everything the tiny fascist needs to terrorize 1:8.3 scale London.

This one is going to take some time.

Nice. By my count you have about 5 weeks. Better get busy :).

Hopefully I can get my **** together and make the 1st launch at the new site with a resurrected Dominator 3 and it's bigger brother the Dominator 4. I've got 5 weeks to finish both builds. Challenge accepted.

As I'm sitting here going through scale drawings of the V2 I realize now that I have definitely purchased Bob's V2 parts. The 5:1 NC has a mark at exactly the place the boat tail should be cut, and one of the lengths of phenolic is within a 1/4" of exactly right to be the bt between the two. It is exactly right if you build without the relatively tiny impact fuse on the NC.

I didn't know Bob, but I think it's kinda cool that I'm gonna get his envisioned V2 in the air...next year sometime...hopefully.

On topic for a moment, is it launch time yet? I'm thinking of repeating that J570 flight. I didn't get a liftoff pic and it should be epic based on freezing the posted video, I'm estimating a >1.5:1 flame:rocket ratio.

Instead of the I59, I'm now planning on a J+2-I cluster, likely blues since it's my first high power cluster.
Maybe a pair of I357s with a J460 or J180 central. That should be fun.

DSCN1729.jpg

7.5" diameter, 52" tall. Central 54 with outboard 38s. Complete with 60" hemispherical chute from the Bob stash. Just needs an altimeter bay. It was designed to use the blacksky AltAcc 2C, based on the hole pattern which matches up perfectly with the altimeter/housing.

It's also plumbed for airstarts, so I've got that to look forward to as well.

Along with this, I'm bringing the rebuilt Scortch and Athena.

Last edited:
Instead of the I59, I'm now planning on a J+2-I cluster, likely blues since it's my first high power cluster.
Maybe a pair of I357s with a J460 or J180 central. That should be fun.

Most excellent!

[video=youtube;T437DdmFNPU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T437DdmFNPU[/video]

Any of the gang going to Frisco on Aug 15 for the model rocket launch?

I have several low power models that I need to get into the air.

Then I can focus on mid and high power two weeks later....:)

I'm planning on being there. I have a couple of new saucers to fly. I'll save long walks in the heat for Corsicana.

I guess this is a good place to seen by DARS members, does anyone have a list of DARS members and their TRF user names . One thing I have learned about our members is we have people with serious skills on a wide range of rocketry areas and I think we should do a better job sharing info. Since the club website doesn't support file sharing maybe this is the place we could post altimeter files, GPS plots, freq usage etc. Is there any interest ? Maybe I am just having a little separation anxiety since the beast is gone for two weeks being painted.

I guess this is a good place to seen by DARS members, does anyone have a list of DARS members and their TRF user names . One thing I have learned about our members is we have people with serious skills on a wide range of rocketry areas and I think we should do a better job sharing info. Since the club website doesn't support file sharing maybe this is the place we could post altimeter files, GPS plots, freq usage etc. Is there any interest ? Maybe I am just having a little separation anxiety since the beast is gone for two weeks being painted.

Ah yes, the website. Serpico has some stories about attempts to moderize that beast. Perhaps we can build some momentum to get 'er done. That Tripoli-Houston site is da bomb.

I started a project last year to have a pictorial member directory. I can restart this and add more info than just a name and picture. Let me know what info would be wanted:

Name (picture)
Handles: TRF, YORF, other
Radio call sign
Trackers and frequencies

Lets figure out what other information may be desired, and I'll get started on it.

I started a project last year to have a pictorial member directory. I can restart this and add more info than just a name and picture. Let me know what info would be wanted:

Name (picture)
Handles: TRF, YORF, other
Radio call sign
Trackers and frequencies

Lets figure out what other information may be desired, and I'll get started on it.

This would be very helpful for people like me who can't remember names (Thanks for doing this, Bill :)). It would also be very useful for tracking EggFinder frequencies. In fact it would be great if there were a single list of those frequencies on the website...this is easy for me to say as I don't maintain the website, and am not volunteering to do so.

Any of the gang going to Frisco on Aug 15 for the model rocket launch?

I have several low power models that I need to get into the air.

Then I can focus on mid and high power two weeks later....:)

Nope, will be at Schlitterbahn that day.

For lack of a better name and to identify my new 4" 3x38 scratch rocket file, I just finished and named it "Triple Threat". This may be one of the last flights of the day at Corsicana, it has been a while (2001) since I have flown and a few successful launches should give me a little confidence boost prior to the cluster. I plan the first launch to be on 3 I140's putting it up to about 4500'.

Triple Threat2.jpg

Triple Threat.jpg

Back