DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean this?

af28831f-133e-48f7-8729-70c2bad080d9_75RAS%20Stock%20Photo.jpg

Yep! When can I order? Any new product discounts?

If anyone is interested in getting the first batch of these at a discount then contact me offline.

The question I must answer for myself, should I buy the 3840 or 5120? Decisions decisions!!!

That looks fantastic!!

Thanks man! I did make some mistakes. Machining metal is much like playing chess. You really have to think things many, many, steps ahead. Of course, if I had a CNC setup things would be slightly different :).

Yeah, we old schoolers need to kick it up a notch or three :).

So, some questions:

1. Should I epoxy or use screws to attach the aluminum switch band to the coupler?

2. What length of coupler do you recommend to actually extend inside the airframe? One caliber, 1/2 caliber?

Would the screws be visible? Because if so I think it'd be cool to get some black or chrome screws and add some detail/contrast to the band.

Would the screws be visible? Because if so I think it'd be cool to get some black or chrome screws and add some detail/contrast to the band.

Great question. Originally I was thinking they would be identical to the screws you see protruding just forward of the aluminum switch band. I could use something different, but that was my initial thought.

Yeah, we old schoolers need to kick it up a notch or three :).

So, some questions:

1. Should I epoxy or use screws to attach the aluminum switch band to the coupler?

2. What length of coupler do you recommend to actually extend inside the airframe? One caliber, 1/2 caliber?

1. I would go with a single screw like the others into a blind nut/t-nut/Pem nut on the inside of the coupler.

2. Depends on how aggressive you will fly it and how loses it is. If the coupler fit is loose I would go longer (1.5 cal maybe). If it is snug fit I would go as low as 0.75 cal. Usually I need a 6-7" bay for the printed sleds and some comfort space, so that often dictates. If you have the room for everything then you are only talking a minimal amount of weight for increased length...then convenience wins.

I defintely plan on putting as much impulse as possible. It's only a 54mm but L's and an eventual M are on the horizon :).

I defintely plan on putting as much impulse as possible. It's only a 54mm but L's and an eventual M are on the horizon :).

Good thing you know a motor dealer. Also, an "M" 54 mm? Is there something we should know???

Also, I would definitely do 1.5 cal then, but I have been accused (rightly so) of being an over builder (he says to the man with an aluminum switchband).

Good thing you know a motor dealer. Also, an "M" 54 mm? Is there something we should know???

Sworn to secrecy :cool:

Also, I would definitely do 1.5 cal then, but I have been accused (rightly so) of being an over builder (he says to the man with an aluminum switchband).

:grin:

On the DARS calendar now, can't wait to finally see this field.

High Power Launch Corsicana!

2/27/16

9:00-4:00

[video=youtube;ZA0n_Cw6E0g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA0n_Cw6E0g[/video]

Today's high winds, bright sun and low humidity will definitely help dry things out. Keep your fingers crossed, say your prayers and this might actually happen!

I have tentative approval on this one as well. Hope to finally get the motivation to get the BD tyrannosaur ready to go. Should habit set with dual altimeters for dual deploy!

I believe Jack Sprague is planning an equipment checkout and clean up the Sunday before.... Some mention of a swap meet / stash sale prior as well.

Thanks jpoehlman almost forgot about the equipment inspection/repair and the impromptu swap meet.

Anyone interested in a attending the swap meet, it will be on Sunday Feb 21st at Jack Spragues house around 10 am. Jack has the DARS stash as usual and a few other folks said they would be there with kits/components/supplies/motors etc. Feel free to bring anything you would like to sell or trade.

If you would like to stick around and help clean and repair the high power launch equipment, that will begin around 1 pm. I'll post Jacks address if I can find it, had it here somewhere, dang.

Thanks jpoehlman almost forgot about the equipment inspection/repair and the impromptu swap meet.

Anyone interested in a attending the swap meet, it will be on Sunday Feb 21st at Jack Spragues house around 10 am. Jack has the DARS stash as usual and a few other folks said they would be there with kits/components/supplies/motors etc. Feel free to bring anything you would like to sell or trade.

If you would like to stick around and help clean and repair the high power launch equipment, that will begin around 1 pm. I'll post Jacks address if I can find it, had it here somewhere, dang.

Jacks address

1104 Ellard Dr. Hickory Creek, TX 75065

Made good progress on my 3" FG rocket yesterday. Really just need to wire up the altimeter and that should do it. I may make some custom aluminum ejection charge canisters but haven't decided. Sims show a J250 Black Jack putting it at 3200', a J275W at ~4000', and a J415W at ~6500'. I've never flown beyond ~5k before so am tempted to go with a 3 grain reload but not convinced this is the best idea for the first flight.... What do you guys think?

Sims show a J250 Black Jack putting it at 3200', a J275W at ~4000', and a J415W at ~6500'. I've never flown beyond ~5k before so am tempted to go with a 3 grain reload but not convinced this is the best idea for the first flight.... What do you guys think?
My opinion on first flights is more motor mo' better. Get it up and going! The only way I'd lob a first flight is if it was a light cardboard rocket.

Back