DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the rain we are getting now do anything to the field?

It shouldn't really affect the field but we are calling this off due to the forecast for Saturday of 85% chance of rain. We will reschedule for mid September. You could always come to Airfest Grouch, the waiver is slightly higher! 50K'

It shouldn't really affect the field but we are calling this off due to the forecast for Saturday of 85% chance of rain. We will reschedule for mid September. You could always come to Airfest Grouch, the waiver is slightly higher! 50K'

A bummer, but completely understandable.

We get a site, but we don't get the weather....or we get the weather when we don't have a site....:)

Last edited:
Ok, we need a snap launch, or something...:)

I am tied up for a lot of upcoming weekends, starting Sept 17, though Nov 5. Not going to make the Sept launch dates mentioned on the DARS web site, due to a wedding and a trip.

Ok, we need a snap launch, or something...:)

I am tied up for a lot of upcoming weekends, starting Sept 17, though Nov 5. Not going to make the Sept launch dates mentioned on the DARS web site, due to a wedding and a trip.

... or something. I'll be in Del Rio over the Labor Day weekend. Tomorrow we have the annual YMCA launch at the YMCA camp on the shores of Lake Lewisville. An unusual (and tiny) site with potential for splash downs. They promised 50+ kids this year. You might have to go it alone to get something in before you get tied up.

For the Airfest contingent. The plan is to setup near Jeff who will be flying a TX flag, correct? I plan to arrive about noon on Friday. When I looked this morning the weather forecast is about as good as I could dare ask for...highs around 90, clear skies, and winds 12 and below for all four days.

... or something. I'll be in Del Rio over the Labor Day weekend. Tomorrow we have the annual YMCA launch at the YMCA camp on the shores of Lake Lewisville. An unusual (and tiny) site with potential for splash downs. They promised 50+ kids this year. You might have to go it alone to get something in before you get tied up.

Working Saturday morning or I would come out and help. Tiny sites are good for RC RGs....:) Is this about launching the rockets the campers have built, or are club demos involved?

Hopefully a launch will show up on Oct 8, Oct 15, Oct 29 or Nov 5. Had a couple of more October weekends open than I thought.

Last edited:
For the Airfest contingent. The plan is to setup near Jeff who will be flying a TX flag, correct? I plan to arrive about noon on Friday. When I looked this morning the weather forecast is about as good as I could dare ask for...highs around 90, clear skies, and winds 12 and below for all four days.

I originally planned on arriving late Thursday afternoon to set up but my son has class at UNT until early evening so I am going to pick him up around 4:00am Friday morning (hahahaha) and get to the pasture around 10:00am. I will be flying the Texas flag as long as Chuck has arrived by then (he offered to supply the colors). Either way I have a big red Jeep that should be easy to locate and I will find us a good spot close to the action. See you there!

I originally planned on arriving late Thursday afternoon to set up but my son has class at UNT until early evening so I am going to pick him up around 4:00am Friday morning (hahahaha) and get to the pasture around 10:00am. I will be flying the Texas flag as long as Chuck has arrived by then (he offered to supply the colors). Either way I have a big red Jeep that should be easy to locate and I will find us a good spot close to the action. See you there!

Excellent, see you there.

Though that the gang might enjoy seeing the van packed up for the return from NARAM 5 weeks ago. About 20 rockets, three R/C airplanes, the fincan remains of SOMEONES M powered rocket, boxes and boxes of motors, 5 ammo cans picked up at NARAM, several new rocket kits, etc, etc........

van.jpg

van2.jpg

van3.jpg

Though that the gang might enjoy seeing the van packed up for the return from NARAM 5 weeks ago. About 20 rockets, three R/C airplanes, the fincan remains of SOMEONES M powered rocket, boxes and boxes of motors, 5 ammo cans picked up at NARAM, several new rocket kits, etc, etc........

Nice! You probably had and O motors worth of impulse in there!!

Anyone from DARS ever drive down to Hutto and launch with the AARG group?

Thinking about making a road trip for that first Saturday in Sept launch. Not rediculously further than Hearne, about a 30 minute longer drive.

Planning to leave Friday after school and get tehre Friday night. Staying in a hotel nearby rather not stay in the hot weather for the night. Hey poker can you save me a spot on the field? Planning on flying the L875 loaded it up last night and all went well. Can't wait for airfest gonna start packing tonight.

Planning to leave Friday after school and get tehre Friday night. Staying in a hotel nearby rather not stay in the hot weather for the night. Hey poker can you save me a spot on the field? Planning on flying the L875 loaded it up last night and all went well. Can't wait for airfest gonna start packing tonight.

I'm not getting there until Friday morning so I will have to see if there's room where Chuck setup, I'll try to commandeer some more space for the Texans that are arriving later.

Arlington is closer.

True, but the impulse and altitude limit prevents nearly all of my models from flying. I did email Jack to see if an exception could be made for RC RG models on E6 and E12 reloads flying to well under 1K and landing under control.

Too much going on this Saturday to make it to Hutto this time, but could carve out a half day to go to Arlington if we can work out the motor restriction.

Arlington is closer.

Got the word back from you via Jack Sprague that the field is too small to be legal for any type of E powered model, as it does not meet the 1000 foot dimensional requirement.

I can actually fly the E class R/C rocket gliders under the AMA safety code and with AMA insurance at any reasonable R/C or other field and not be subject to a 1000 foot requirement, as it is as much an R/C model aircraft as it is a model rocket, if not more so.

I might still come by and fly one of my RC RG models that uses a D2.3 motor. Rare to be able to go to a launch so close to Fort Worth.

Looks like the weather's going to be quite nice today for Airfest. Good luck to Poker on his L3, as well as the many other flights planned by others!

Ditto on the best wishes for the DARS folks and other DFW area rocketeers up at Airfest.

Had some unexpected demands on my time today and could not make it over to Arlington today for the low power launch, despite my best intentions....:(

I'll let others update their Airfest experiences, but I hit my goal with my CF Mongoose 54 going to 13923' on a K550 (just downloaded the data, Mach 1.37). On a related note, 7' tall sorghum is evil, but can be combated with an Eggfinder.

I can't recommend this launch enough. It really is everything it is billed as, and the Kloudbusters folks have it down to a science.

Last edited:
Wow, nearly 14k on a K550! That's impressive.

Tried to optimize everything. Tower launched, set screws to hold parts together, internal motor retention, RouseTech Tailcone aft closure, and even cut the head off the shearpin.

Tried to optimize everything. Tower launched, set screws to hold parts together, internal motor retention, RouseTech Tailcone aft closure, and even cut the head off the shearpin.

Dedication.

One thing I learned:

If you use motor backup and don't have the delay drilled for after apogee, bad things can happen. On my last flight, I happened to have the delay drilled to be the same time the drogue charge fired. I ended up with 2.5 times the charge needed for proper separation. Combine this with shock cord lengths for a properly sized charge, and you get a nasty zipper and an Estes dent.

Ok so is it too soon to start talking about a possible med/high power launch in North Texas? Anything on the radar yet?

Ok so is it too soon to start talking about a possible med/high power launch in North Texas? Anything on the radar yet?

Never too soon Grouch! We might be able to get something going down at Prairie Hill this month as long as the weather cooperates. Will post here when I know something.

Back