DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forcasted and likely wind is way over the limit. Expect a email notification from the Yahoo group but the website will not reflect the cancellation yet due to technical difficulties.

If only todays weather had held up until tomorrow.......it was beautiful out there.

I don't get it, sustained 20+ mph winds with gusts to 40+? What's not too like :wink:?

A Sunday Nov 22 opportunity:

from the P.O.T.D.A.R.S. :

"... Therefore, be it resolved, for those of you that feel-the-need-for-speed (and fire/smoke:)
We will launch: ModRocs in Frisco Sunday afternoon.

But we will NOT have the normal mid power stuff, we will support TARC flights, and anybody's F-motor or less. But NO G-power. My little car only has so much room.
Come out if you can, (we hear rumors of another "snap-launch" to be flown on Black-Friday... Stay tuned.
Fly'em Safe! --Jack "

May be the best opportunity. The Black Friday forecast looks ... black. :p

Last edited:
Man what a day it was. I gave some serious thought to attending the 'snap' launch today but instead did some professional work topped off with some hedge trimming.... I was there in spirit at least and was trying to figure out which rocket an F27R-7 would fly best in!

I had already committed to do some needed work. Bath our three K-nines, 2 of which needed additional grooming. :shock: I also had to clean a few weapons.:cool:

However when I took the trash out at around 12:30PM, I started to kick myself & decided I needed to be COMMITTED:facepalm:

What a perfect day to get some birds flying!:surprised:

I was otherwise committed on Sunday as well.......sure was a nice day.

I did carve out two hours to go fly RC in the afternoon, but just could not get the whole afternoon free to make the 60 mile drive to Frisco and enjoy some launch action.

FYI... I don't know about y'all but I will be spending Black Friday:

- trying to stay dry
- trying to stay warm
- taking a nap
- eating a turkey sandwich
- shopping online
- NOT standing in a field in Frisco

Happy Thanksgiving !

FYI... I don't know about y'all but I will be spending Black Friday:

- trying to stay dry
- trying to stay warm
- taking a nap
- eating a turkey sandwich
- shopping online
- NOT standing in a field in Frisco

Happy Thanksgiving !

That sounds like a great plan, especially the online shopping :)

Had some excellent smoked turkey today. My son and I managed to fish a little off the shore with intermittent sprinkles. Too cloudy and windy for rockets but I still had a good time.

Lu picked up a Greenberg turkey from Central Market. Yummmmmmmmmm. Tomorrow we may order a fruit cake from Collins Street Bakery.

Last edited:
Yeah, that does sound good. The turkey we had yesterday was gifted to us, a Greenberg turkey https://www.greenbergturkey.com/. They're out of Tyler and it's odd that I never heard of them until yesterday although I spent about 5 years in East Texas. Better late than never I guess.

Hey Tom. What was the name of those cheap easy to fly starter RC airplane kits you mentioned a while back? There's a ton of stuff to choose from out there... Ideally I'd have something that I could fly in the front yard :).

Ground around here is totally saturated. What a drag. I hear thunder as well. Not boding well for the Baylor/TCU game which was already delay :(.

Hey Tom. What was the name of those cheap easy to fly starter RC airplane kits you mentioned a while back? There's a ton of stuff to choose from out there... Ideally I'd have something that I could fly in the front yard :).

The little Hobbyzone/ Horizon Hobby Champ is tough to beat for small area flying. I would not start out in your front yard, but after you get the hang of it in a schoolyard or park, it is front yard flyable.

Under 100 bucks RTF at Roy's Hobby Shop in Hurst.

A slightly more expensive but even better option is the new Sport Cub S with gyro stabilization and SAFE, with emergency recovery from unusual flight attitudes at the touch of a button.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/sport-cub-s-rtf-with-safe-reg;-technology-hbz4400

About 130 at the LHS.

Thanks Tom. How young do you think a kid could be to learn to fly something like this? I'm thinking about how I can justify the expense :). A present to my son perhaps????

Thanks Tom. How young do you think a kid could be to learn to fly something like this? I'm thinking about how I can justify the expense :). A present to my son perhaps????

With adult supervision, I think a 6-8 year old can successfully fly some of these new micro aircraft....I have seen it done. 10-12 is a better bet, though.

Then again, we have to consider the adult he is being supervised by.......;)

The next time we are both at a launch, I will bring one of these type models for you to play with.

Although, it does sound like you are Xmas shopping for this...:)

Well it's official...2015 is now the wettest year on record for north Texas. Over 57 inches total at DFW Airport, and the year isn't over. (Average rainfall is about 35 inches.) I poured 8 1/2 inches out of my rain gauge since this event began on Thanksgiving, and McKinney 20 miles south has officially recorded 9.02 inches during the same time period. More on the way tonight and tomorrow.

Time to get started on the ark?

With adult supervision, I think a 6-8 year old can successfully fly some of these new micro aircraft....I have seen it done. 10-12 is a better bet, though.

Then again, we have to consider the adult he is being supervised by.......;)

The next time we are both at a launch, I will bring one of these type models for you to play with.

Although, it does sound like you are Xmas shopping for this...:)

Cool, thanks Tom. 10-12 seems ideal so I may hold off. I do have - correction - my son has a quad copter and it's fun but I lose my bearings pretty easy. I think an actual plane will solve this.

Well it's official...2015 is now the wettest year on record for north Texas. Over 57 inches total at DFW Airport, and the year isn't over. (Average rainfall is about 35 inches.) I poured 8 1/2 inches out of my rain gauge since this event began on Thanksgiving, and McKinney 20 miles south has officially recorded 9.02 inches during the same time period. More on the way tonight and tomorrow.

Time to get started on the ark?

Someone in Kentucky beat you to it: https://www.wdrb.com/story/29410041/noahs-ark-project-taking-shape-in-northern-ky

I can't help but wonder where Noah would have obtained those steel gussets?

The recent monsoons have raised the ground water enough that there is some flowing through my basement as it seeps in between the wall and slab :( What's the chances of a high power launch in January before spring soccer starts up. I so badly want to get some of the rocket specials right now, but have not even used anything from last year.

Jack

Hey Jack. Fingers crossed, but I would put a January launch in the 'not too great of a chance' territory. I hear that high power at the Gunter site is back on, but would have to be in a different location. Anybody know where that is?

Hey Jack. Fingers crossed, but I would put a January launch in the 'not too great of a chance' territory. I hear that high power at the Gunter site is back on, but would have to be in a different location. Anybody know where that is?

Robert, see my posts at 64 through 68 of this thread which show the area that I was talking about. (If I knew how to post a single thread, I would!) I do not know if it is available to the DARS at the present time or will be in the future. Now would be a good time for those who desire to fly high power to pound some pavement and beat some bushes. :cyclops:

Did any DARS members indulge in BF sales?

I meant to make an order with Pryobob, but got too busy with family stuff over the holiday....:(

My only rocketry related indulgence last week was an early Black Friday deal on a Madcow 2.6" thin wall fiberglass DX3 with a 54mm motor mount.....:)

Hope to lauch it close to the waiver altitude in Asa one of these days.

I thought it was time to try a modern glass kit.

I kinda did but the preferred vendor was out of what interested me. I hope there may be a second swipe at the apple so I am not too disappointed. Didn't need it anyway and creates more problems than it solves but it sure would have been cool!

Back