DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An extensive (and I mean extensive) 3 hour search proved to be fruitless, no joy. The only reasonable possibility is that it came in ballistic and is buried past the fins. RIP Calisto.

On another note, I finally met tmacklin and Talon on Saturday...so I got that going for me :clap:

A Caddyshack reference??

[video=youtube;X48G7Y0VWW4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X48G7Y0VWW4[/video]

An extensive (and I mean extensive) 3 hour search proved to be fruitless, no joy. The only reasonable possibility is that it came in ballistic and is buried past the fins. RIP Calisto.

On another note, I finally met tmacklin and Talon on Saturday...so I got that going for me :clap:

It was great to meet you Poker! Really enjoyed the Phoenix flight.:cool: Sorry I didn't get any great pix of the flight.:mad: shooting with the sun behind the subject is not easy:dark:
I will work on the best one in photoshop & see if I can salvage one. I also got to meet WiredGoat :cool:
It was a fun day, Thanks to the DARS crew for making it possible:clap:

Paging Tom B.!

[video=youtube;UHHOrWAete4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHHOrWAete4[/video]

If you have a decent idea of where it might be, I'll try to talk my niece's boyfriend into joining me to run metal detectors over the area.

If you have a decent idea of where it might be, I'll try to talk my niece's boyfriend into joining me to run metal detectors over the area.
\

I really don't know where it might be Chuck, after combing the area Monday I believe it may be in the second field across the fence line. I will search for it again at the next launch, thanks for the offer though.

So who plans on making it to the field this weekend? I have 2 new models to maiden this weekend. A Big Daddy and a Nike Smoke PS!

So who plans on making it to the field this weekend? I have 2 new models to maiden this weekend. A Big Daddy and a Nike Smoke PS!

Wish I could make it out, but headed on an international work trip Saturday afternoon.

Good luck on the Big Daddy flight. About a year ago, there where 2 ejection failures back to back. Mine and another flyer. Seems others have had issues too. Best I can tell, the consensus is the small volume along with the sloped nose cone base are leading to separation failure. Post flight review of damage on my BD confirmed the nose cone appeared to only eject to the upper part of the slope. When it impacted lawn dart style, the shock cord mount made a slot on the body tube matching the distance.

Some have suggested a centering ring attached to the base of the nose cone to give a piston effect.

Hope your flight end better!

Jack

Wish I could make it out, but headed on an international work trip Saturday afternoon.

Good luck on the Big Daddy flight. About a year ago, there where 2 ejection failures back to back. Mine and another flyer. Seems others have had issues too. Best I can tell, the consensus is the small volume along with the sloped nose cone base are leading to separation failure. Post flight review of damage on my BD confirmed the nose cone appeared to only eject to the upper part of the slope. When it impacted lawn dart style, the shock cord mount made a slot on the body tube matching the distance.

Some have suggested a centering ring attached to the base of the nose cone to give a piston effect.

Hope your flight end better!

Jack

The issue as I've heard it is that there isn't enough gas to boost the nose cone out fast enough and combined with the large slope on the nose cone (which can pass a lot of gas), the ejection charge only pushes the nose cone until it can vent out. If you cut off the section of the shoulder that has the slope on it and install a bulkhead in the resulting hole (which others have done), you prevent the gasses from venting until the nose cone is disconnected from the rocket. A centering would work as well, but I think you would have to put an eyebolt* into base of the nose cone to tie the shock cord. That's not bad, you'll need an eyebolt for the bulkhead method as well.

*You can also make an attachment point by drilling two holes 1/2 - 1 inch apart, threading in some Kevlar (one end through each hole, so the exposed portion is knot free), and tying the ends together.

I attended, bronchitis and all, following the irrefutable logic that a bad day at a rocket launch is better than... anything !

Wind and weather was ideal and we had a large turnout. I did manage to sign off on a few L1 cert flights by the McKinney TARC team members. They all flew Aerotech H100's in Apogee Hi-Tech models and shared a Perfectflite Pnut and JL Chute Release. The flights were arrow straight and all hit about 2800 feet. Good show. :)

[edit] Some pictures of the day. Don't know Jada S yet but thanks.

https://darsrocketrypics.shutterfly.com/

Last edited:
I attended, bronchitis and all, following the irrefutable logic that a bad day at a rocket launch is better than... anything !

Wind and weather was ideal and we had a large turnout. I did manage to sign off on a few L1 cert flights by the McKinney TARC team members. They all flew Aerotech H100's in Apogee Hi-Tech models and shared a Perfectflite Pnut and JL Chute Release. The flights were arrow straight and all hit about 2800 feet. Good show. :)

[edit] Some pictures of the day. Don't know Jada S yet but thanks.

https://darsrocketrypics.shutterfly.com/

Great day for rockets and great pics! Unfortunately for me, it was also a great day to make slotting fixtures for Apogee and ship them to Colorado before my upcoming surgery on the 22nd. My loss is your gain and there's always another day. It's also great to see the Gunter field is being utilized and a small high power launch is better than none at all! :smile:

Although I spent most of the day at Gunter looking for my lost Calisto from a few weeks ago, I did manage to fly my 20 year old ASP WAC Corporal with Tiny Tim Booster. Boosted well on the C-11, fired the B-6 perfectly but forgot to dislodge. It did manage to come apart at apogee but the booster is pretty much fried. The Calisto has been moved into the "officially lost" category so I ordered new Loki hardware, JL chute release and Eggtimer TRS.

20170218_123022.jpg

DARS is flying HIGH POWER this Saturday the 25th at Prairie Hill. Class 2 6000' waiver will be in effect. Range will be open from 9:00-3:00. $20 HP fee/$10 DARS Members. We need a good showing of High Power flyers at this launch, it is getting harder to justify these HP launches with only a few people showing up at the last couple we have had. Come on out and fly this weekend, should be a nice day to have some fun and burn some AP!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...b25700a5ed47af!8m2!3d31.6377847!4d-96.7849609

Last edited:
How'd it go yesterday? Weather turned out really nice, around here anyway..

I got my level 1 certification finished. Wasn't a lot of people there. I had to leave early so not sure what happened after 1pm.

I got my level 1 certification finished. Wasn't a lot of people there. I had to leave early so not sure what happened after 1pm.

Congrats, and yes, Robert will lighten your wallet...but at least the hazmat fee isn't.

Congrats ! An unforgettable milestone. You know I was thinking about the great rocket launching weather I was missing

It was a great day for flying Saturday, unfortunately we had a very low turnout with only a few HP flights. Some good news that came out of the launch is that the new manager at the drag strip is very friendly towards our activities. We also happen to meet the man who leases the back half of the airport and got his permission to fly there. So we have the whole field available to us again for high power.

It was a great day for flying Saturday, unfortunately we had a very low turnout with only a few HP flights. Some good news that came out of the launch is that the new manager at the drag strip is very friendly towards our activities. We also happen to meet the man who leases the back half of the airport and got his permission to fly there. So we have the whole field available to us again for high power.

That is really good news. What is the current thinking on altitude at Prarie Hill with this land in the equation?

Back