DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm building a 7.5" scratch built FG around the 98-10240 case for my L3. If there are several available please PM me with the details.
Thanks
Ken
NAR L2 42868
TRA L2 17710

Terrible weekend weather appears to strike again! Bummer :(.

What's everyone working on? I've got a PML Miranda in pieces on the dining room table. Scheduled for completion by 2025 :facepalm:.

Terrible weekend weather appears to strike again! Bummer :(.

What's everyone working on? I've got a PML Miranda in pieces on the dining room table. Scheduled for completion by 2025 :facepalm:.

Yeah the April weekends this year have been bad. I'm stripping my Small Endeavor to refinish in an as yet undecided metallic. I'm saving my pennies for a Chute Release so I can finally fly it with a 38mm motor as the rocket gods intended. Been adapting down to 29mm. Need to see you at Gunter again. BTW are you going to carry the Q-Jets ?

Yeah the April weekends this year have been bad.

You ain't kidding. We've timed races the last two weekends (outside by 5 am)...about blown away and half frozen. Mercifully we don't have one scheduled this weekend.

You ain't kidding. We've timed races the last two weekends (outside by 5 am)...about blown away and half frozen. Mercifully we don't have one scheduled this weekend.

Oh. Neither rain nor heat (or sleet ?)...

The consolation is we're warmer than Boston... or Minneapolis... or...

Oh. Neither rain nor heat (or sleet ?)...

The consolation is we're warmer than Boston... or Minneapolis... or...

True, and it is amazing how fast Wesley runs a 5K in the cold rain. Two weeks ago he blew through the finish line, and never broke stride until he got to the van.

I’ve got a 1/2 completed Interceptor-E with a John Pursley wrap on the bench, and another one with just painted fins and a pile of Parts to start for the boys. Maybe in parallel, a AMW Fiber Max to get started.... with some storm trooper sticker shock action. Pyro, I’ll try to beat you and target 2024! Lol

I did pick up a 54/1709 case..... what loads should I try out?

Pyro, I’ll try to beat you and target 2024! Lol

Nice!

I did pick up a 54/1709 case..... what loads should I try out?

Man, where to begin. If you're old school then the K1100T and K550W. Maybe even the K185W (with extended forward closure of course). Newer school, the K695R, K805G, and K1103X. Then if you're a sparky guy they've got Metalstorm and Dark Matter Metalstorm. Decisions decisions!

...I did pick up a 54/1709 case..... what loads should I try out?
The K185 is my favorite reload in that case. The perfect motor for a minimum diameter 54mm, seems to go forever. On the other hand, if you want to test your building skills, the K1103 also in a MD will do it, just a beast of a motor. About 25% more impulse than the K185 in 1/4th the burn time. The K550 is a good compromise between them, classic White Lightning burn.

The 1709 is my favorite AT case. Great variety of motors to satisfy everything from a real kick in the pants to a nice long burn. Enjoy.

Tony

Yeah, the 54-1706 hardware is definitely the sweet spot for reloads. Plenty of propellant and thrust curves to choose from.

For the longest time my favorite motor for smaller rockets was the K550W until discovering the new K2050ST beast for the 54/1706 casing, you have to give it a try! The K185 is another favorite for that eternal burn time.

For the longest time my favorite motor for smaller rockets was the K550W until discovering the new K2050ST beast for the 54/1706 casing, you have to give it a try! The K185 is another favorite for that eternal burn time.

Yes. How could I have forgotten the K2050ST!

So this is the first kit that I've built that was designed with a piston. I seem to recall that a lot of people omitted them for whatever reason but maybe I'm mistaking.

What would you all do? Piston or no piston? I do like the thought of not having to deal with chute protector and/or wadding.

So this is the first kit that I've built that was designed with a piston. I seem to recall that a lot of people omitted them for whatever reason but maybe I'm mistaking.

What would you all do? Piston or no piston? I do like the thought of not having to deal with chute protector and/or wadding.
When I first started I bought a lot of PML kits that used pistons. One issue with the PML kits is that the plastic quantum tube contracts a lot in cold temps which can cause the piston to bind. Another is is that if you build it according to the instructions the loop for the d-ring is not very strong - you need to have real loop, not one formed by epoxying the tubular nylon to the piston bulkhead. I also had a PML metal d-ring fail on me during a hard deployment. (Admittedly is was on my Sudden Rush which I built over 15 years ago so it had a lot of flights on it, fortunately the fincan survived.) You also have to wash out the inside of the body tube to clean out all the bp residue or the piston could bind on that.

They really do offer some benefits - I never had a chute fail to deploy with a piston and packing the chute was fast and easy. But they have their caveats. It's worth trying at least just for the experience.

Good luck,

Tony

Tony

When I first started I bought a lot of PML kits that used pistons. One issue with the PML kits is that the plastic quantum tube contracts a lot in cold temps which can cause the piston to bind. Another is is that if you build it according to the instructions the loop for the d-ring is not very strong - you need to have real loop, not one formed by epoxying the tubular nylon to the piston bulkhead. I also had a PML metal d-ring fail on me during a hard deployment. (Admittedly is was on my Sudden Rush which I built over 15 years ago so it had a lot of flights on it, fortunately the fincan survived.) You also have to wash out the inside of the body tube to clean out all the bp residue or the piston could bind on that.

They really do offer some benefits - I never had a chute fail to deploy with a piston and packing the chute was fast and easy. But they have their caveats. It's worth trying at least just for the experience.

Good luck,

Tony

Tony

Cool, thanks Tony. Yeah I'm leaning on following the instructions for my first PML kit. What could possibly go wrong??

Yesterday was one of those perfect flying days you read about in fairy tales. Bright sky, high ceiling, <5 mph winds, not too hot yet. Our hosts, Martinek Feed and Grain, cut us a nice path down through the thigh-high grass. Next month I expect to see lots of hay bales. Look for some photos on the DARS shutterfly page. You boys need to get out there. :)

Sam, is Gunter HP happening next weekend or the following? The website is not updated and I would like to attend. Thanks!

Anyone know if there are any launches planned for the Sabine Creek location? We're not far away and between my son's jr. golf tournaments, daughters gymnastics, etc., it's probably the only I can sneak off to without anyone noticing (for no more than hour :facepalm:).

There is a better than zero chance that we'll move to Sunday, May 20th because of the wind forecast for Saturday. Stay tuned.

Back