Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49
Results 1,441 to 1,464 of 1464
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaBrewer View Post
    I've had my share of sushi and sake, but my favorite so far has been takoyaki - chunks of octopus covered in balls of batter, deep fried, and served with an awesome sauce.
    Texas State Fair style Octopus...fusion cuisine! Does sound good.

So much of my rocket building time has been diverted toward my "other hobby": Race Timing

Any one know what happen to the Pairie Hill launch that was planned for the end of the month? I just checked the web site and found:

##: High-Power Launch...
    Prairie Hill on 25/26 March IS CANCELLED!
    May fly in Gunter or elsewhere instead.

Bummer as it was looking like I might have finally been able to make a High Power launch and have some birds ready.

What's the current thought on High Power in Gunter? Good for H-I flights with Dual Deploy? I've got an I65 I'd like to fly on an 8lbs Fiber glass 3" Tomahawk, sim predicts 2889'.

Any chase if an L2 Cert flight? 4" Binder Tyrannosaur on J425 with Dual deploy - Sim predicts 3341'

Quote Originally Posted by jpoehlman View Post
    Any one know what happen to the Pairie Hill launch that was planned for the end of the month? I just checked the web site and found:

Bummer as it was looking like I might have finally been able to make a High Power launch and have some birds ready.

What's the current thought on High Power in Gunter? Good for H-I flights with Dual Deploy? I've got an I65 I'd like to fly on an 8lbs Fiber glass 3" Tomahawk, sim predicts 2889'.

Any chase if an L2 Cert flight? 4" Binder Tyrannosaur on J425 with Dual deploy - Sim predicts 3341'
    I don't know what happened to the Prairie Hill launch Jack but I will find out today. In any event, I think both of your flights would work at the Gunter field.
    Jeff Jones

TRA 04736 L3
    NAR 75968 L3
    KF5YYI

We're still trying to sort out the weekend of the 25th. Yes, Gunter is an alternative. We've already had an L2 flight there when the winds were favorable and the low spots were dry enough to cross to get to the best location on the field.

FYI. The DARS Yahoo group is still the official club communications vehicle. Or a direct email. The forum is kind of a side channel.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaBrewer View Post
    I've had my share of sushi and sake, but my favorite so far has been takoyaki - chunks of octopus covered in balls of batter, deep fried, and served with an awesome sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Cl(VII) View Post
    Texas State Fair style Octopus...fusion cuisine! Does sound good.
    I agree, sounds awesome ! I don't suppose it would ship very well.

So the HP launch at Prairie Hill is cancelled for the 25th, no problems with the land owner just a scheduling conflict on that day. We will fly HP at Gunter on 3-18 along with mod-rocs and TARC, this Saturday with a ceiling of 4K'. That should give you plenty of room for your L2 cert flight Jack.
    Jeff Jones

TRA 04736 L3
    NAR 75968 L3
    KF5YYI

Thanks for the update Pokerjones. I might be able to pull that off. Let me see if I can work it out with the Family schedule.

Can I count on you to supervise and sign off for an L2?

I'd need to work out the written as well. Is JackS the best contact for that?

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks for the update Pokerjones. I might be able to pull that off. Let me see if I can work it out with the Family schedule.

Can I count on you to supervise and sign off for an L2?

I'd need to work out the written as well. Is JackS the best contact for that?

Thanks,

Jack
    Sure thing Jack, I can help you with whatever you need for your L2 flight. As far as the written test, yes contact Jack S. Here is a good reference if you need to brush up-http://liars.org/Level2/Index.html
    Last edited by PokerJones; 15th March 2017 at 04:14 AM.
    Jeff Jones

TRA 04736 L3
    NAR 75968 L3
    KF5YYI

Foiled by a change in my boys soccer schedule. Maybe next weekend.

At least I have 3 rockets ready to fly now.

You all have fun today.

Jack

This was the perfect day to fly, unfortunately that made it the perfect day to treat my yard and that of two friends with Bifen. Oh well, at least there were no bugs in my paint job this evening.

Hopefully we can attend next week.
    So much of my rocket building time has been diverted toward my "other hobby": Race Timing

Anybody know anyone who welds in the North Dallas area? I have been kicking around the idea of having a small tower build for 38mm min dia stuff. I'm a ways out, just lining up dicks at this point.
    Jarrett Dorough

Most people are average

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Anybody know anyone who welds in the North Dallas area? I have been kicking around the idea of having a small tower build for 38mm min dia stuff. I'm a ways out, just lining up dicks at this point.
    What kind of welding?
    I've got a small MIG welder for steel. I've tried aluminum with a TIG welder, but that is an art I have yet to master!

I think Chris B. has a tower you could use if you didn't want to bother building one. I've been tempted to buy a cheap mig welder and will probably do so someday. I've got a little experience welding, or at least enough to know I'm terrible at it. No experience with aluminum but as Jack mentioned I've heard it's rather difficult.

The Fastest and Most Reliable and Transparent Way to Buy High Power Rocket Motors

Same/Next Day Shipping, Real Time Inventory, Order Confirmation, Package Tracking

Tripoli #3135

Confirmed OG
    Level Too

launch of a NASA SLI flight at the DARS launch at Gunter TX on March 18th

This video was loaded to the DARS Shutterfly page by Keith Pate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pSx...ature=youtu.be

https://darsrocketrypics.shutterfly.com/pictures

We had a "Spring Slam" yesterday with many scouts, many TARC teams, an SLI flight, first sunburn of the year, and some surprising and unexpected water in the low spots.
    PokerJones Jeep doubled as the emergency tow vehicle for a few folks.

I would ask my friend Royce Frankum from Terrell about any metalwork project.

https://www.frankumperformance.com/pads

BTW, not judging or anything but many of us line up ducks !

Quote Originally Posted by pyrobob View Post
    I think Chris B. has a tower you could use if you didn't want to bother building one. I've been tempted to buy a cheap mig welder and will probably do so someday. I've got a little experience welding, or at least enough to know I'm terrible at it. No experience with aluminum but as Jack mentioned I've heard it's rather difficult.
    Yep. You are welcome to use it, but it is cumbersome as it is not easily collapsible. Let me know in advance if you need it for a launch, so I can set the rail spacing to the correct diameter and desired length (6 or 8'). That is easier done in the garage than at the field. It is currently setup at 54mm 8'.

The Fastest and Most Reliable and Transparent Way to Buy High Power Rocket Motors

Same/Next Day Shipping, Real Time Inventory, Order Confirmation, Package Tracking

Tripoli #3135

Confirmed OG
    Level Too

I am looking for something much more simple. The only way to get what I'm looking for is to building it.
    Jarrett Dorough

Most people are average

I am looking for something much more simple. The only way to get what I'm looking for is to building it.
    Fair enough. My setup (http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...18#post1410818) definitely doesn't fall under simple. I think I've seen some straight forward tower ideas around here based on bicycle wheels that didn;t require welding, but I can't seem to find the links now.

Found it, kinda: http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...ain-Bike-Style

Sounds like you already have a plan in mind though...good luck regardless.
    Last edited by Cl(VII); 20th March 2017 at 08:01 PM.

Hello, folks.

Back after a little break from rocketry and TRF due to a perfect storm of personal stuff, work stuff and running Aero Design West 2017 weekend before last.

Hope to make it to the next launch!
    Tom Blakeney
    NAR 52002 L1, AMA 28682
    2016 launches so far: 36: 2 HP, 7 MP, 6 LP, 21 R/C RG. R/C Chute Sled: 8 for 8!

Quote Originally Posted by tab28682 View Post
    Hello, folks.

Back after a little break from rocketry and TRF due to a perfect storm of personal stuff, work stuff and running Aero Design West 2017 weekend before last.

Hope to make it to the next launch!
    Welcome back Tom. We'll be at Gunter this Saturday if we can avoid the "perfect storm" forecast for Friday.

Hopefully the weather holds off until Sunday. I'm sure there are a few TARC teams that would like to have a nice day to fly.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things...

McKinney High and DARS get some press

Nice write-up and some video. The flight happened on March 18th at Gunter.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/mckin...et-competition

Was that an L-850?

Tripoli #3135

Confirmed OG
    Level Too