DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be awesome. Throw a DARS logo on the side and we'd be in business!

The long range weather forecast for the Frisco launch on Nov 21 is looking promising (yeah, long range forecasts are not reliable, but still......) Clear and winds about 9mph from the NNE.

I am still looking good to have that day off and be there to fly some stuff.

Uhhh, I totally can't believe:

a. I've lived in North Texas all my life
b. I've been a rocket buff for most of it
and c. I never knew this: https://www.wfaa.com/videos/news/lo...texas-terrells-nuclear-missile-site/75860866/

You guys been holding out on me all this time???

For many years there was a static display real Nike Hercules at a VFW post in southeast Fort Worth, on the Mansfield business highway a little inside of Loop 820/i20. Don't know if it is still there or not.

Maybe y'all could pass the hat and provide the DARS brass with one of these? Add a trailer and they could even transport the cub scouts, kinda like a hay ride. I understand these are being sold as surplus now that the war has been won.

[video=youtube;_74RbrPyN-Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_74RbrPyN-Y[/video]

Problem is ya gotta keep the darn things running, and the military ones aren't all that reliable, at least the ones my unit had back in 1991 weren't.

Well, one is scheduled. However, the winds forecast for Saturday have turned sort of ugly, darn it.

Winds 15-20 in the AM and early PM, with gusts higher.

I probably will not make the drive from Fort Worth unless the winds are more like 10-12 and the launch will probably get called if the forecast holds up.

Launches are just not as much fun in the wind.

I think I will have my new home-brew no pyro dual deploy unit ready for a test in my Aerotech Strong Arm, but it might have to wait for a better day.

The official call will come out on the DARS Yahoo list. I reconnoiter the field at lunch on Thursday . We usually wait 'till Thursday afternoon at least to determine what the likely weather might be on Saturday . Even if the winds cooperate I suspect the ground will still be pretty soft after yesterdays thunderstorms.

BTW I intend to have a Black Friday launch this year. Stay tuned

Last edited:
I don't know how much rain fell in Frisco but my rain gauge had 2 5/8" in it yesterday from the recent storm and there is liquid water standing wherever the land is flat. It's been a bizarre weather year in north Texas, has it not?

I don't know how much rain fell in Frisco but my rain gauge had 2 5/8" in it yesterday from the recent storm and there is liquid water standing wherever the land is flat. It's been a bizarre weather year in north Texas, has it not?

Hmmm... Mine had 2 11/16th in it. :grin:

The official call will come out on the DARS Yahoo list. I reconnoiter the field at lunch on Thursday . We usually wait 'till Thursday afternoon at least to determine what the likely weather on Saturday might be. Even if the winds cooperate I suspect the ground will still be pretty soft after yesterdays thunderstorms.

A BF launch would be great...no swimming that day. My Dad is even in town that day, and I know he would enjoy it.

Hmmm... Mine had 2 11/16th in it. :grin:

You probably need to calibrate that thing or return it to the manufacturer. 0.0625 inches doesn't sound like much but could be the difference between a go or no go Frisco launch. :cry:

You probably need to calibrate that thing or return it to the manufacturer. 0.0625 inches doesn't sound like much but could be the difference between a go or no go Frisco launch. :cry:

Now that's the kind of precision I was expecting from the old woodworker ! I'd plan for at least a puddle or two; I'll know more tomorrow.

The official call will come out on the DARS Yahoo list. I reconnoiter the field at lunch on Thursday . We usually wait 'till Thursday afternoon at least to determine what the likely weather might be on Saturday . Even if the winds cooperate I suspect the ground will still be pretty soft after yesterdays thunderstorms.

A BF launch in Frisco?

I could likely make that, if the weather is decent.

I have been hearing that the weather is going to be windy and cold Sat morning. That would be less than optimal.

Well the field is dry enough, thanks in no small part to the wind. Look to www.dars.org and a DARS yahoo list message for the official announcement. If I was a bettin' man I'd plan for some kite flyin'.

I plan to have the GSE out on Friday, Nov 27th, weather permitting of course ! :)

Last edited:
Well, the forecast for Black Friday is less than stellar as well...lets hope it changes for the better over the next week!

Well, the forecast for Black Friday is less than stellar as well...lets hope it changes for the better over the next week!

Aw Tom! Just like an engineer trying to make a workable plan based on data, forecast, science. Let's all Keep Calm... think pure thoughts... enjoy some kite flying this Saturday... enjoy some turkey next Thursday. And on the morning of the 27th we'll wake up, stick a wet finger out the window, and see what we'll see ! :grin:

Aw Tom! Just like an engineer trying to make a workable plan based on data, forecast, science. Let's all Keep Calm... think pure thoughts... enjoy some kite flying this Saturday... enjoy some turkey next Thursday. And on the morning of the 27th we'll wake up, stick a wet finger out the window, and see what we'll see ! :grin:

To paraphrase a little, when your favorite tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.....

Guilty as charged!...;)

On a side note, I am currently planning on going up to MO for NARAM 58 next summer, just for the Sport Launch weekend.

Not a terrible drive from DFW. Cannot stay all week due to other vacation time commitments and my competitive urges are not strong enough to make me stay all week, anyway....:)

Any other DARS members thinking about going for the Sport Launch?

The early report is that the waiver will be about 12,500....:)

Forcasted and likely wind is way over the limit. Expect a email notification from the Yahoo group but the website will not reflect the cancellation yet due to technical difficulties.

Back