DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The water was about waist deep for the first 60 feet and then it dropped off and I couldn't touch anymore.

I learned some new things. First George helped me with my first reload! Yay :) My blue leviathan screamed on a g76. Secondly, rockets float. Third, I can still swim. Fourth, möbius action cams don't do good with water. Fifth changes in center of pressure cause wobbly flights. From now on electronics will be mounted inside. Sixth, 31g lift off acceleration is too much force to keep the memory card in the camera. Seventh, paracord makes great recovery harnesses. Eighth, I love that field!

Glad you survived your aquatic adventure. Next time I'll put out the call for a jon boat and some U.S. Coast Guard approved life vests.

JonBoat.JPG life vest.gif

Last edited:
Nice pics. I see my LOC Aura and my wet Ascender made the cut.

If more of you DARS guys flew RC rocket gliders, you would get more of a vote about whether your model lands in the pond or on dry ground....;)

Anybody else planning on going to Hearne the following weekend? I am... provided it's not under water. Any thoughts on caravaning or carpooling?

My daughter turns 3 next Friday and we had her birthday today since I'll be in San Francisco next week. This has nothing to do with DARS but why not post anyhow?

I am currently planning on going to the Gunter low and mid power launch this coming Saturday, June 18,

As am I. I won't be flying any of the contest events. I'm going to be flogging a couple of rockets to try out a new(ish) glue.

Will the High Power Gs (G138 example) be allowed again?

Good question. I'll see if I can get an answer for you.

And the answer is maybe. It all depends on where we can set up. We need to meet the 1500' setback, but otherwise, we're good to go with the HP G motors.

Last edited:
Will the High Power Gs (G138 example) be allowed again?

Good question. I'll see if I can get an answer for you.

And the answer is maybe. It all depends on where we can set up. We need to meet the 1500' setback, but otherwise, we're good to go with the HP G motors.

I say bring 'um if ya got 'um but be prepared for "Plan B" if the winds or a soft field force our hand.

I'm working this Saturday guys so looks like I won't make the launch in Gunter... bummer 'cause I enjoy that field. Plus I kinda already spent my money's worth of motors down in Hearne last weekend. Have fun!

Well, I now have to work Saturday, so I will miss the launch. Argh.

Looks like a good day to get your flights in as early as possible. Temps do not hit 90 until noonish.

Last edited:
Right now we're looking at a pretty waterlogged field so a few days of uninterrupted sunshine will be key. As usual, my boots will be on the ground on Thursday to make a call.

I don't know whether I will be at the June 18th launch or not. It is going to be very hot and humid and given my age and health neither pleasant nor safe. This is not meant to discourage others and I hope many of you will be able to attend the launch. Water, sun screen and shade for sure.

And one other word of caution: Many people may be tempted to take a cooling dip in that beautiful 20 acre lake, especially young people. That lake probably contains a fair share of water moccasins, snapping turtles, old barbed wire fencing and other hazards. Think before you dive in and keep a watchful eye on the youngsters. A rocket isn't worth a life.

The field is ready for action on Saturday. Much drier than last month because the sun has been shinin' and it's frickin' hot ! Now the grass is a little longer, knee high in a lot of places (at least knee high to me). Here's some of the views:

looking north, the gate is to the right, up the hill:

Gunter north 616.jpg

looking northwest towards the buildings:

Gunter northwest 616.jpg

looking south:

Gunter south 616.jpg

Last edited:
Temps in the 60's the last few days in San Francisco and then I come back to, well, hot and way humid Dallas! I think I'll lounge around watching the US Open this weekend instead. Stay hydrated!

Temps in the 60's the last few days in San Francisco and then I come back to, well, hot and way humid Dallas! I think I'll lounge around watching the US Open this weekend instead. Stay hydrated!

Now that sounds like a good plan, think I'll join ya :cheers:

You see the tee times for round 3 yet? Heading to the store for a bottle of Scotch in the meantime :).

Back