DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too :). If I'm lucky I'll have my LOC Expediter retrofitted with rail buttons and testing the Jolly Logic shoot release on an I140. If goes well I plan to fly it on a J90 :):):).

Here is the official/formal announcement - DARS will be having a HP Launch October 29 in Prairie Hill

Robert is planning to be on-site as a vendor, and a flyer!

Launch Details:

Date: Saturday, 10-29-2016

Time: 9 am setup, 10am – 4 pm Launch hours

Location: Prairie Hill High Power Field – Follow this link for directions

Altitude/Impulse Limit: 10,000 ft AGL, M impluse

Pads Available: Model Rocket, Mid Power, and High Power (Please let us know in advance if you plan on flying K or larger or a complex rocket)

Certification: NAR or Tripoli - All high power flyers must show a current NAR or TRA membership card to prove certification level - no exceptions.

Flight Prep: All high power rockets and flight plans will be reviewed by the RSO before pad assignment to ensure compliance. If you are planning a flight that will be close to our waiver, be prepared to answer many questions or provide a simulation.

Registration/Range Fees :FREE - Under 18 modroc/sport

$5 - Adult modroc/sport

$20 - High-Power (non DARS member)

$10 - High-Power DARS member

Bathroom Facilities: There is a port-a-potty on site, but donations will be accepted to help cover this cost

Food/Beverages: It's a decent drive to a convenience store. It is best to bring your own.

Flight Cards: to speed up range operations please bring your flight cards already filled out to the field.

Last edited:
Damn school carnival, I hate that thing even when I don't have to miss a launch...have fun folks.

Damn school carnival, I hate that thing even when I don't have to miss a launch...have fun folks.

Now, now, now. You must remember "it's all for the children". Your carbon footprint will be minimal and just think of all the gasoline you'll save! :cry:

Did you get to put any up then ?

No. I'm still busy repairing all manner of stuff that refuses to fix itself. Just when I see light at the end of the tunnel, here comes another freight train! :rant:

Damn daughters baby shower ! Me, a granpop ! :shock:
Even in jest, not sure you sure post that on a public forum where your daughter might see it. You may be babysitting a lot more to make up for it!

Congrats on the event.

Tony

Even in jest, not sure you sure post that on a public forum where your daughter might see it. You may be babysitting a lot more to make up for it!

Congrats on the event.

Tony

You're right of course, I feel shame. :blush: Although I feel it's much more likely that Chris will get busted for his school carnival crack ! :)

You're right of course, I feel shame. :blush: Although I feel it's much more likely that Chris will get busted for his school carnival crack ! :)

Possibly, possibly...looks like time out in the garage to think about what I've done. :cool:

So who plans on making it down to Prairie Hill on the 29th for the DARS high power launch, only a week away. This is a great field, it would be nice to have a big turnout to show that there is still a large number of high power flyers in North Texas that will support having these launches on a regular basis. Don't forget you can also buy motors on site from buyrocketmotors.com, aka pyrobob, aka "The Dude"

So who plans on making it down to Prairie Hill on the 29th for the DARS high power launch, only a week away. This is a great field, it would be nice to have a big turnout to show that there is still a large number of high power flyers in North Texas that will support having these launches on a regular basis. Don't forget you can also buy motors on site from buyrocketmotors.com, aka pyrobob, aka "The Dude"

halloween-in-los-angeles-dress-like-the-dude-from-the-big-lebowski-1.jpg

Hello all, I have been out of the loop for the last month or so.:mad: It is because I have joined a GREAT organization, the MID AMERICA FLIGHT MUSEUM in Mount Pleasant, Texas:cool:. Just like the HP Launches, its a 1 1/2-2 hour drive for me, but just like the launches it is too much fun. They do NOT charge any money for you to look at their aircraft, there is NO chains or ropes around the A/C & you can get in some of them! 2 1/2 weeks age I flew down to Rusk Tx. in their C-47. They gave 8 rides (18 people per ride) to veterans at NO cost. This last weekend they hosted the National WWII Glider Pilots Association Reunion. I cant tell you how many rides they gave in the C-47, C-41, Stearman, Waco, Travelair & P-51 Mustang!:eyepop: I cant tell you the joy these men in their 90's had in flying (and pulling many Gs), one vet commented that his pacemaker wound up in his belly button:jaw:.
Scott Glover, the owner has a heart of gold in giving back to the community & veterans. Below is a link to the museums website and a well done video of the weekend (by my freind Erik Johnston).

Oh, what I originally wanted to post is that I will try to be there for the high power launch, I miss seeing my fellow Rocketeers and their rockets.

https://www.midamericaflightmuseum.org/

[video=youtube;BuvRimkxuvo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuvRimkxuvo[/video]

1a1sk.jpg

GPA_0335r_w.jpg

GPA_0348r_wc.jpg

GPA_0682rCR.jpg

GPA_0679rCR_edited-1.jpg

GPA_0719r4ps.jpg

GPAb_0424rwcCR.jpg

I am planning on two fairly mundane HP flights, an I and an H.

And a number of RC RG flights, of course. And a couple of mid power flights.

I should be there talked to Jack and he said I could fly it if the conditions are right that day. If he lets me fly it I'll be at the DARS launch but if he doesn't I'll be at the hotrocs launch. And wow the 54/2550 casing is BIG! Planning with my GoPro going to 11,000 ft.

I don't see any reason your flight is not doable. Looks like clear skies and light winds for the 29th.

Played with the JL chute release today and it seems realy straight forward. I have no idea what I'll be able to put up on Saturday but I figure I'll get one or two up. Looks like nice weather and hopefully it holds!

Hello all, I have been out of the loop for the last month or so.:mad: It is because I have joined a GREAT organization, the MID AMERICA FLIGHT MUSEUM in Mount Pleasant, Texas:cool:. Just like the HP Launches, its a 1 1/2-2 hour drive for me, but just like the launches it is too much fun. They do NOT charge any money for you to look at their aircraft, there is NO chains or ropes around the A/C & you can get in some of them! 2 1/2 weeks age I flew down to Rusk Tx. in their C-47. They gave 8 rides (18 people per ride) to veterans at NO cost. This last weekend they hosted the National WWII Glider Pilots Association Reunion. I cant tell you how many rides they gave in the C-47, C-41, Stearman, Waco, Travelair & P-51 Mustang!:eyepop: I cant tell you the joy these men in their 90's had in flying (and pulling many Gs), one vet commented that his pacemaker wound up in his belly button:jaw:.
Scott Glover, the owner has a heart of gold in giving back to the community & veterans. Below is a link to the museums website and a well done video of the weekend (by my freind Erik Johnston).

Oh, what I originally wanted to post is that I will try to be there for the high power launch, I miss seeing my fellow Rocketeers and their rockets.

https://www.midamericaflightmuseum.org/

[video=youtube;BuvRimkxuvo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuvRimkxuvo[/video]

Beautiful birds!!

Played with the JL chute release today and it seems realy straight forward. I have no idea what I'll be able to put up on Saturday but I figure I'll get one or two up. Looks like nice weather and hopefully it holds!

Very nice I am very pleased with my unit. Flew it on a rocket Mach1.2 and like 8,000 ft deployed perfectly at 500 ft.

I'm happy with mine too. I had a perfect flight to 3300' in my Squat with a deployment right at 500.

I used the smaller one. I find it pops open with more authority on the chute I'm using. So far I have only tested flat panel chutes because I can pack the small. Nice and small Z fold works well. 30 or 32" chute if I remember correctly.

Back