DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did the Gunter launch go today? Turned out to be a nice day....until my son started feeling bad and the doctors confirmed it's the flu :(.

We had an great turnout for a January launch, lots of new faces. We started late because of all the standing water I missed on Thursday. :blush: Once we found the right spot we set up expecting the forecasted W-SW winds and of course they came out of the SouthEAST as the day progressed. :blush::blush: But we flew some rockets so it was a great day ! :)

Last edited:
I think I got a pic of a Majestic, could be yours. Photo album for today's launch: https://flic.kr/s/aHskT65Eet

Also, yes the L2 was a success. I got a few pics of that in there too. Hope you'll make it back to another launch.

OH MY! I'm not normally a vain person but did that vest make me look fat ?!? :shock: Great photos, thanks for sharing. :) Welcome to the party again WiredGoat.

Last edited:
OH MY! I'm not normally a vain person but did that vest make me look fat ?!? :shock: Great photos, thanks for sharing. :) Welcome to the party again WiredGoat.

Maybe you can find a fitted vest on Amazon :)?

We have decided to skip Prairie Hill this month and have our High Power launch at the Gunter site this Saturday, the 28th. Details will be on the DARS website. See you there!

Maybe you can find a fitted vest on Amazon :)?

Hmm... I don't think form-fitting is the way to go either. :wink: But that thing was made for someone about a foot taller than me I think. Still, I do like "hi-vis" apparel on the rocket range.

We have decided to skip Prairie Hill this month and have our High Power launch at the Gunter site this Saturday, the 28th. Details will be on the DARS website. See you there!

I know the answer probably varies quite a bit, but what is the typical turnout of high power rockets in Gunter?

I know the answer probably varies quite a bit, but what is the typical turnout of high power rockets in Gunter?

With us not having a regular high power launch date, the turnout can be rather low as it often last minute. The last 2 launches at Prairie Hill averaged 20 flyers or so. I suspect the launch at Gunter will be much bigger, it is at least an hour closer for most of us and we will fly everything from modrocs to high power. The weather is also looking great for flying this weekend.

Poker, is Gunter going to be more or less on the table this spring/summer or will it more likely be Prairie Hill?

Poker, is Gunter going to be more or less on the table this spring/summer or will it more likely be Prairie Hill?

Also, I thought HP at Gunter was limited to super favorable weather conditions. Is this no longer the case? And dare I say it, we're back to the Gunter 'good ole days'?

It may be a mix a of both sites Jarrett, we will have to see how it goes at Gunter with recovery. We can still fly HP at Prairie Hill it's just not available to us this month.

Also, I thought HP at Gunter was limited to super favorable weather conditions. Is this no longer the case? And dare I say it, we're back to the Gunter 'good ole days'?

We shall see Mr. Watson, if all goes well. Are you possibly making it out to the launch this weekend?

It may be a mix a of both sites Jarrett, we will have to see how it goes at Gunter with recovery. We can still fly HP at Prairie Hill it's just not available to us this month.

We shall see Mr. Watson, if all goes well. Are you possibly making it out to the launch this weekend?

Daughter has the flu now :(. And, I'm supposed to be heading to SFO tomorrow but that's not looking too good. All things considered, this isn't shaping up to be a great week or weekend.

I have some pictures of PokerJones's Phoenix, but the resolution is poor.

I didn't take any of the people there, though.

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

How'd yesterdays launch go? Heard of K flight. Do tell!

We had a pretty good turnout Saturday with about 30 people there. Only had 3 HP flyers though which was a little disappointing. It was my first time at the Gunter field and I must say it was really nice, plenty of room for HP flights with the wind out of the NW. I flew a K to about 3000' and recovered within 200 yards of the pad, not bad for being a bit windy (10-15 mph) Hopefully this field will see a lot more HP flying in the future.

I am heading back up there today to search for my beloved Calisto and the $300 worth of electronics and motor it had on-board. It flew out of sight on an H90 and no one saw it after burn out. I am fairly certain it came in balistic but I have a pretty good idea where it is.

Are you planning on making the meeting Saturday Pyro?

Pic of the K513-FJ

Screenshot (8).jpg

We had a pretty good turnout Saturday with about 30 people there. Only had 3 HP flyers though which was a little disappointing. It was my first time at the Gunter field and I must say it was really nice, plenty of room for HP flights with the wind out of the NW. I flew a K to about 3000' and recovered within 200 yards of the pad, not bad for being a bit windy (10-15 mph) Hopefully this field will see a lot more HP flying in the future.

I am heading back up there today to search for my beloved Calisto and the $300 worth of electronics and motor it had on-board. It flew out of sight on an H90 and no one saw it after burn out. I am fairly certain it came in balistic but I have a pretty good idea where it is.

Are you planning on making the meeting Saturday Pyro?

Pic of the K513-FJ

View attachment 310587

Yes, a nice turnout and some great flights. Winds aloft made for some long walks especially with lighter weight birds. I finally managed to get a nice flight out of my Estes Renegade on a D12-0 booster to a C6-7 sustainer. Unfortunately, the booster section came in ballistic causing the faux boosters to shear off along with the tip of one fin and its faux fuel tank. The sustainer landed about 600 yards south of the pad. My plan is to make a new booster section sans all the faux pods for launch purposes, and repair the busted one for static display.

My friend TALON had some great flights which I'm sure he will post as soon as he edits them to his satisfaction. He managed to get several good shots of the staging on my Renegade and a nice shot of his Ventris at liftoff.

Good luck on your search for your Callisto.

GO1_0002r.jpgGO1_0007r.jpgGO1_0008r.jpgGO1_0011r.jpgGO1_0115R.jpg

I lost one as well, but I'm more upset about the JLAlt2 I lost. The rocket was just a PS Mammoth that I got on sale, no big deal. It was a great turn out
though. Hopefully I'll get some pictures next time.

Good luck Poker. Here's hoping for a successful Callisto recovery, looks like a good day to play hookey and walk the field anyway.

Good luck Poker. Here's hoping for a successful Callisto recovery, looks like a good day to play hookey and walk the field anyway.

An extensive (and I mean extensive) 3 hour search proved to be fruitless, no joy. The only reasonable possibility is that it came in ballistic and is buried past the fins. RIP Calisto.

On another note, I finally met tmacklin and Talon on Saturday...so I got that going for me :clap:

An extensive (and I mean extensive) 3 hour search proved to be fruitless, no joy. The only reasonable possibility is that it came in ballistic and is buried past the fins. RIP Calisto.

On another note, I finally met tmacklin and Talon on Saturday...so I got that going for me :clap:

It was my pleasure to meet you. Sorry for the apparent demise of your Callisto...that was a spectacular flight on the LOKI H90. I have a Callisto with a 29 mm motor mount which my son gave me for Christmas several years ago. Maybe one day I'll take the plunge and fly it on a baby H?

I forgot to mention that I witnessed my first E9 cato this weekend. I heard the announcer mention E9 and I quickly turned around to watch. It made it
off the pad maybe 20ft and let go. Sorry to see the loss of a model like that, but why are the E9's so prone to cato? I'm just finishing up a Big Daddy
and I'm positive it will never see an E9!

Back