DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really hate to miss this one but that is some short notice, this Saturday? I'd say 50/50 at best. Heck I might just drive down to see the field and launch a few little ones for fun. Ok, maybe it's more like 80/20.

Unfortunately, it is my turn for the family virus. I was holding out hope, but my lungs are telling me I won't be walking too much this weekend, at least not without their strenuous objection.

Count me as 20:80 :(. Allergies finally caught up with me and big professional business next week. We shall see.

My odds have gone up to 100%. I should be there around 8:00 to help setup.

This month is the 20th anniversary of my Level 1 certification flight. Since I still have the PML Calisto I
used for that flight I think it only fitting to put her up again on an AT H123W I used to cert. It still has a 1/4" launch lug, 1" red nylon shock cord, and L hooks for motor retention, my how things have changed.

Looks like I won't be able to make it tomorrow... Just a little too short notice for me to get everything together and do finishing touches. Next time I'll definitively be present.

Looks like I won't be able to make it tomorrow... Just a little too short notice for me to get everything together and do finishing touches. Next time I'll definitively be present.

I'm with you man. Best of luck to everybody else.

Wife + sick = long shot for grouch. I'd complain but it seems by all accounts I am the one that got her sick. Sucks for me era I mean her.

Yeah man, planets are out of alignment this time around.

Would someone suggest to Marlin to go ahead and schedule some events in advance so we can plan ahead? Something like the 3rd week of every month until whenever, eg.

I ended up with too much to do at work and at home before going out of town to Ogden, UT for most of next week, so no Asa for me today.

Still planning on making Frisco on the 17th if the stars and planets do not line up against getting there.....:)

Heard of a successful Level 3 flight and a 4" rocket on an L-1000W DMS motor to around 10,000'. Wish I could have been there. Maybe next time.

I'd give some serious thought to Gunter next weekend but it's my son's 7th birthday. No lamenting there, for once!

Next weekend is Frisco. Hopefully we'll have as nice of weather then as we had today.

Great day for flying, and some DARS members got in a few including an successful L3 cert. That single use L1000 was awesome. I will put up a link to some pictures soon. Because my very fine 75mm/7680 case died with Marlin's FDNY rocket I didn't fly, I just took pictures and did a stint as RSO .

Great day for flying, and some DARS members got in a few including an successful L3 cert. That single use L1000 was awesome. I will put up a link to some pictures soon. Because my very fine 75mm/7680 case died with Marlin's FDNY rocket I didn't fly, I just took pictures and did a stint as RSO .

Thanks for documenting the proceedings for us armchair flyers Robert. And congrats to Loren Walden; that dude can build a rocket ! What I did to keep abreast of last minute launch announcements is to join all the club mailing lists, at least the one's that don't require club membership. I just went through the links on Art Applewhite's site. Someday I'll be able to attend them all.

Yeah, please post pics and/or video if you can. Loren was really happy with the L1000W.

Yeah, please post pics and/or video if you can. Loren was really happy with the L1000W.

Here is some highlights- https://picasaweb.google.com/102202592926153245127/OctoberSkiesAtAsaTX
The L1000W is in the orange with silver nose LOC rocket, Pushed it to about 10,000 ft. if I got the altitude right. Noise and fire/smoke were awesome. Loren Walden got his L3 with the 10 inch Polecat Nike Smoke . Robert, there are about 400 more pictures if you want a different flight picture or some of the motors pressuring up or something let me know.

Last edited:
Here is some highlights- https://picasaweb.google.com/102202592926153245127/OctoberSkiesAtAsaTX
The L1000W is in the orange with silver nose LOC rocket, Pushed it to about 10,000 ft. if I got the altitude right. Noise and fire/smoke were awesome. Loren got his L3 with the 10 inch Polecat Nike Smoke . Robert, there are about 400 more pictures if you want a different flight picture or some of the motors pressuring up or something let me know.
Thanks for all of the pictures Robert, they turned out great.

Cool, thanks Robert. Yeah if you have anymore pics of the L then let me know where to find them.

Jeff, what's the story on the black DD rocket? Reminds me of an old Dynacom kit that I really liked, but maybe a bit smaller

Cool, thanks Robert. Yeah if you have anymore pics of the L then let me know where to find them.

Jeff, what's the story on the black DD rocket? Reminds me of an old Dynacom kit that I really liked, but maybe a bit smaller

I have a cell phone video of the L1000W I'll post up, what a great motor. The black rocket is a 3" MAC Scorpion flying on an I218R.

https://youtu.be/l6KKLNx9hcg

Yeah, another beautiful rocket from Loren. That big Black Brant of his is one of cooler rockets I've seen in person. Hopefully I'll get to see that Nike Smoke fly one day.

Great launch guys, and thanks for the updates.

Great biiiiig column of smoke and fire. Was that robertv2 in the foreground ?
That was me ( filming from the L impulse min distance shot from the M impulse min distance) just so nobody gets the wrong idea.

That was me ( filming from the L impulse min distance shot from the M impulse min distance) just so nobody gets the wrong idea.

Somebody on TRF getting the wrong idea ?!? :eek: You're over 18 and of (reasonably) sound mind, providing valuable documentary coverage AND a great scale reference !

I always maintain a safe distance, roughly 160 miles this time. :cry:

I will have a new date with more notice soon for an Asa launch. Since playing outside is weather dependent we will have to watch for cancelations. By the way the min distance thing was a joke.

Hey Robert. Give me a call tomorrow; just returned from the northeast.

Back