DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1ac0d775585614b55f24b4b58ac4d51a.jpg

Welcome back home. Googling Baylor vs Tech outcome in 3, 2, 1....

There was talk about a contest launch in Gunter. Chuck, was high power ever mentioned there? I was distracted with some other things at the time :confused:.

Burn ban in Corsicana still in effect which if I understood, will expire 90 days from initial implementation. Then we should be good. Jack says he still pursuing other launch sites and open to suggestions.

Yes, HP in Gunter was talked about, briefly. Apparently the site we would need to set up is rather difficult to get to, and very unfriendly to access by cars and the trailer.

Are we just waiting for the burn ban to expire to schedule Corsicana; 90 days subsequent to implementation? Anybody know when it was actually implemented???

It was implemented 7/31, so it's in effect until 10/29, unless rescinded by the commissioner's court, which is rare.

With all of the outreach activities scheduled for this fall, it will likely be December before we can schedule a launch, assuming the landowner doesn't have a winter crop in the field.

Yes, HP in Gunter was talked about, briefly. Apparently the site we would need to set up is rather difficult to get to, and very unfriendly to access by cars and the trailer.

Hmmmmm? I drove way out onto the site when I took the series of photos posted earlier in this thread (posts 96 through 100). All the way down to the 10 acre lake, which is maybe 1/2 mile south of Stiff Chapel Road. I had no problem in a 2001, two wheel drive, Toyota Tundra, but we haven't had much rain up here since the first week of July. Since I'm all caught up on income taxes and construction projects I may just swing over to Gunter and see if Donnie will let me do another private launch when conditions look right.

Just want to thank all you TRF's that are keeping us updated on DARS Launch schedule.
:clap:

Anytime. Hopefully the discussion will turn to what has actually flown on a regular basis rather than if a launch is on or not ;). That, or we could all just relocate to Reno or the surrounding area and have access to Black Rock year round?

Hmmmmm? I drove way out onto the site when I took the series of photos posted earlier in this thread (posts 96 through 100). All the way down to the 10 acre lake, which is maybe 1/2 mile south of Stiff Chapel Road. I had no problem in a 2001, two wheel drive, Toyota Tundra, but we haven't had much rain up here since the first week of July. Since I'm all caught up on income taxes and construction projects I may just swing over to Gunter and see if Donnie will let me do another private launch when conditions look right.

Ted, you have an advantage over me in that I have not driven this part of the site. However, a Tundra has a bit more ground clearance and better entrance and exit angles than most cars, so what was easy for you might not be so easy for someone in a non-truck based vehicle. From what I've been told, there is a problematic spot (for cars and especially the trailer) that would need to be crossed to reach the launch site.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'd love to get a launch in.

Ted, you have an advantage over me in that I have not driven this part of the site. However, a Tundra has a bit more ground clearance and better entrance and exit angles than most cars, so what was easy for you might not be so easy for someone in a non-truck based vehicle. From what I've been told, there is a problematic spot (for cars and especially the trailer) that would need to be crossed to reach the launch site.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'd love to get a launch in.

Chuck, there are two parts to the acreage which Martinek owns which are bordered on the north by Stiff Chapel Road. The eastern portion was planted in corn this year and I assume has been disked. The western portion is rolling pasture from which hay has been bailed. When I was there I had no problem driving all the way south to the dam area of the lake (Hunt Lake # 1 as shown on Google Earth). The terrain is a bit rough in that area and might pose a problem for passenger cars, minivans and such, especially if towing a trailer. Can I bum a ride to the next launch in Pawhuska, OK?

Last edited:
I know this is a DARS thread so I want to say that this is not an attempt at stealing sheep, I am just trying to help my brothers in need of a launch fix. Marlin plans on having a launch at Asa in the next few weeks and as soon as he finalizes the date I will post it. If you have not been to Asa it is a great field an easy drive south form the metroplex.

I know this is a DARS thread so I want to say that this is not an attempt at stealing sheep, I am just trying to help my brothers in need of a launch fix. Marlin plans on having a launch at Asa in the next few weeks and as soon as he finalizes the date I will post it. If you have not been to Asa it is a great field an easy drive south form the metroplex.

Please do post, and yes it is a sweet field.

Many thanks for keeping us in the loop. If I have that weekend free I will be there for sure.

So, who is going to Frisco on the 17th for the LP launch? I am currently free that weekend and will be there if the weather is ts all promising.

So, who is going to Frisco on the 17th for the LP launch? I am currently free that weekend and will be there if the weather is ts all promising.

I'll be there. I'll also be flying at Asa, if I don't have another commitment.

I've been meaning to make a trip down there and see the field one of these days. Plus I've got quite a few newly finished rockets I haven't been able to launch yet and Asa has the waiver for them. :)

Don't know if I'll make either, but I'm going to try. Swim meet is going to claim the 24th and Halloween will make the 31st tough. Glad I went to OK, the last few months of the year are shaping up to be NUTS.

Official Launch Announcement
HOTROC Asa Launch

“October Sky” Launch
Saturday, October 10, 2015
9 AM to 5:30 PM

Asa has a limited Launch Season,
This year, October to March
Texas weather being Texas weather,
We have to take advantage of every
opportunity to launch

I regret that this conflicts with other clubs'
launch schedules. We have attempted not
to step on other launch dates in the past and
ended up getting only 1 or 2 launches per year.
I understand people being committed to their
own clubs and respect them for it. All are
welcome at Asa HOTROC launches any time.

This is a Tripoli sanctioned launch. All Tripoli
rules apply. Please bring Tripoli-NAR membership
cards and present your card at registration.
No one under 18 years old near High Power pads
unsupervised by Level 2 Flyer.

Waiver to 11,000 ft. with Call-ins to 18,000 ft.
Launch Fees, 1 Day $15.00

Remember: This is a working farm, large trucks &
equipment use the road, road must be kept clear

All children must be supervised at all times

Please keep all pets on leash

It would be much appreciated if everyone would pick
up any trash or anything that doesn't belong on field

I am proud to help make these "events" an "occasion"

Marlin Philyaw
TRA# 2329 - L 3
Prefect
Triopli Waco #012

Oh I would like to be a part of this. Any restrictions on motor such as skids and such?

Last edited:
Uhh, October 10th as in this Saturday October 10th???????? Sweet, although I may not be able to make it :(.

Regarding motor restrictions, sparkies are cool and up through N impulse. It's a plowed field and the only thing to worry about is the Brazos river about 1.5 miles to the northeast, Castleman Creek to the north (I almost learned about these the hard way....) and some high tension power lines a thousand or so feet to the south. I haven't seen many rockets land to the south of the flight line but it happens. I also haven't seen anybody get hung up on the power lines so not sure if it's happened before. In any case, it's a sweet site. Here's Robert V's Pike at Asa (missed this launch, too):

10425484_1561387734121909_1875857104117970093_n.jpg

And some rockets I flew there about 20 months ago:

10329246_1423320604595290_1779469991821658323_n.jpg

10270664_1423318547928829_8971184494019677158_n.jpg

Wow this Saturday. I'm thinking I might be able to make it... Maybe. Chances are probably around 50/50 right now.

Oh, Will there be people there who might be interested signing off on a couple of my flights? I'm not 18 but I am NAR Jr lv 1, and Tripoli Mentoring Program certified.

Last edited:
Wow this Saturday. I'm thinking I might be able to make it... Maybe. Chances are probably around 50/50 right now.

Oh, Will there be people there who might be interested signing off on a couple of my flights? I'm not 18 but I am NAR Jr lv 1, and Tripoli Mentoring Program certified.

I will be there to help Marlin and I am NAR and TRA

Back