• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Kosdon 54 / 2550 Case Only...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onebadhawk

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I bought a Kosdon case on ebay a while back..
It’s a 54 / 2550..
It is new never fired..
When I got it it was still in it’s cellophane wrap,,
I removed that and put an expanded plastic mesh on it like all my hardware..
This case has an external thrust ring on it..
I understand this is odd as Frank Kosdon friction fitted everything..
I was told by Scott K of Loki that this was done by a man that bought the thrust rings from him and the guy is in Michigan,, I think ??
No matter though..
I do not want this case,, I shouldn't have bought it..

I paid $110 and $10 for shipping for this case..
I didn't think that was a bad price,,
That's what I'd like for it..

Teddy

All my kosdon 2550s came with an external thrust ring groove

I thought they didn't Jim...
I was told that Frank Kosdon friction fitted everything,,
so there was no external thrust ring on his cases..
I'm not very experienced with snap ring hardware though...

Teddy

Mine didn't. I had Ed put a groove in for me. Now it is being cut down by Eric after a hot load. I am not a fan of the way Frank's nozzles and forward bulkheads were cut.

I thought they didn't Jim...
I was told that Frank Kosdon friction fitted everything,,
so there was no external thrust ring on his cases..
I'm not very experienced with snap ring hardware though...

Teddy

Frank WAS very fond of friction fitting things. In fact, the one time that I spoke to him on the phone, he told me that retainers are just unneeded base drag. Fair enough on big minimum diameter stuff, but I was buying some G motors for my 29mm case. :rofl:

My 54-2550 did not come with a groove either. Just throw a few wraps of masking tape on there and you're good to go!

Braden

Yea, you guys are correct. In reflection, I believe all the hardware I got from Dave Triana didn't have a grove, but I have access to a machinist (Alan Whitmore), and that was quickly remedied. Sorry for the confusion.

I know that Ron Zeppin was selling Kosdon cases back 2000 or so and he would put thrust rings on them. That's how my 2550 case came.

If your groove is anodized, it's likely "Kosdon East" hardware. If your case doesn't have a groove or the groove is bare aluminum, you have an original Kosdon.

Frank's cases had reflective gold anodizing, while Kosdon East were more matte copper. Kosdon East is essentially early AMW hardware.

Wow Braden,,
To each his own,,
Friction fit on a "G" load is one thing...
This case will contain a scoootch more impulse then a "G"...
And Andy C told me that Frank K would friction fit an "M" load........

Man,, dat betta be a lota friction...........

Dan,,
I don't know if the grove is anodized,,
but it's definitely reflective gold in color as opposed to matte copper...

I really think this is a quality piece of hardware,,
that's why I bought it in the first place..
But I have other snap ring hardware that is Loki..
I am confused with all the different snap ring hardware,,
This fits with that but only if you use this extra piece..
I find the Loki hardware,, easy to get / readily accessible,,,
and a biggie,, I can use commercial loads at my home / NAR / commercial only field
and become a bit more accustomed to the hardware...
Then,, I do have ex aspirations,,, I can use the same hardware to make my own when the time comes...
So I'm interested in all of my hardware being the same for simplicity's sake...
I really like this case,, it is super cool,, no doubt,, I second guessed selling it,, but ,, ehh,,
I'd rather have the same case that is like the other snap ring cases I have...

Thank you guy's...

Teddy

Opps,,
Sorry,,
I forgot to update this...

Sold....

Teddy

My 75mm baby M case had the snap ring groove. I think he started adding the groove to later cases. I got a pair of SK knock-off pliers that could be converted at the push of a sliding button from exterior to interior rings from a tool house for $40, a lot cheaper than the $85 the SK tool truck wanted :p Always wear safety glasses when using any snap ring pliers. A snap ring in the eye will ruin your day, guaranteed....

Back