Rocket launch with a toy on board

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is a little ambitious, plus with what you are attempting with a full camera crew, it would be best not to do this at a scheduled event. That means dealing with the Federal Aviation Administration.

I think it is a little ambitious, plus with what you are attempting with a full camera crew, it would be best not to do this at a scheduled event.

A lot of good information has been passed along thus far. So here is proposal incorporating some of them.

Forget about the 100,000' goal. What will look good is a launch shot and onboard video as it ascends over a massive column of smoke and flame. IMHO, bigger rockets look better doing that as they have a more prototypical (majestic) launch and are easier to track with ground cameras. 5.5" or 7.5" diameter dual deploy rocket, custom capsule for the item with his own camera (as in Mercury Joe or Nibbles the Cat (video below). We'll provide two rockets in the diameter of your choice (one with attachment points for up to 6 Go-Pro cameras, one for exterior shots only), and motors for up to 3 launches. You provide the cameras (onboard and ground based) and any camera operators needed. We'll set up the range with launch equipment (pad and controller), fire suppression, PA and crowd control. We have access to a private field with 10,000' waiver, so won't affect range ops for those guys who made a once-in-a-lifetime journey to a national launch only to be squeezed out by a Discovery Channel "reality" show. This also allows weather backups as required. $4,000 to cover materials plus $1,000 tax-deductible donation to the RC2 (school rocket club). As an added feature, Adrian will show up for free.

[video=youtube;60UQMtebOnU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60UQMtebOnU[/video]

Last edited:
A lot of good information has been passed along thus far. So here is proposal incorporating some of them.

Forget about the 100,000' goal. What will look good is a launch shot and onboard video as it ascends over a massive column of smoke and flame. IMHO, bigger rockets look better doing that as they have a more prototypical (majestic) launch and are easier to track with ground cameras. 5.5" or 7.5" diameter dual deploy rocket, custom capsule for the item with his own camera (as in Mercury Joe or Nibbles the Cat (video below). We'll provide two rockets in the diameter of your choice (one with attachment points for up to 6 Go-Pro cameras, one for exterior shots only), and motors for up to 3 launches. You provide the cameras (onboard and ground based) and any camera operators needed. We'll set up the range with launch equipment (pad and controller), fire suppression, PA and crowd control. We have access to a private field with 10,000' waiver, so won't affect range ops for those guys who made a once-in-a-lifetime journey to a national launch only to be squeezed out by a Discovery Channel "reality" show. This also allows weather backups as required. $4,000 to cover materials plus $1,000 tax-deductible donation to the RC2 (school rocket club). As an added feature, Adrian will show up for free.

This....

That's a really good deal for a group that will make 2 rockets for the event as well as provide motors and a launch event.

As an added feature, Adrian will show up for free.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hey buddy! I usually have to PAY to show up at launches.... ;)

But since Sather has graciously offered, I'll bring my rocket along as a back up, if needed. Mine is 8" in diameter and 127" tall. 36" of payload space in the top and 24" in the drogue... I had 29 feet of tubular nylon and a Skyangle Cert3 XXL chute with 2 nomex shields and I still had extra room in the main payload... :cool:

Adrian

Adrian,

You're all dressed up in uniform and the poor rocket is naked ;(

-Tim

Problem solved. This is a killer deal. I wanna come watch!

I agree that the start looks really exciting with big rockets. However it doesn't make a feeling of going into space because of the low altitude. Is it possible to extend the flight somehow?

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hey buddy! I usually have to PAY to show up at launches.... ;)

But since Sather has graciously offered, I'll bring my rocket along as a back up, if needed. Mine is 8" in diameter and 127" tall. 36" of payload space in the top and 24" in the drogue... I had 29 feet of tubular nylon and a Skyangle Cert3 XXL chute with 2 nomex shields and I still had extra room in the main payload... :cool:

Adrian

Hi Adrian,
I'll contact you directly shortly. Thanks!

What is the reason to go so high? Is it the affect of space darkness and seeing the earth curvature? Is that part of the advertising your trying to capture? Explaining that may help those responding with what your trying to accomplish. That you you may not have to "reinvent the wheel" so to speak. Possible that someone already has a rocket ready that can just be painted / graphics up like you want and then the can start with the correct permits / planning right away

- this will be a very cool project - hope the build is documented here will be great to watch.

That estimate seams a little low - just spit balling doesn't seam that this will happen less than $7-10K
Great advertising idea!

Back