mach2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
I like going fast. Mach 1 was no problem. 2 is elusive. My current performance champ is my Punisher, but even on L1030/K1440 it is not going that fast.

Is minimum diameter simply required for those kinds of speeds? I suppose much more powerful motors could do it, too, but these are fairly potent by my standards.

I just launched my 54mm MD on a Loki K-350 Moonburner to Mach 1.3. This according to my dual StratoLogger altimeters. One SL100 and the new SLCF, which I am sure you are aware are baro based, so I take the number with a grain of salt. My goal was to join the Mach club, which I am confident I achieved. RASAero and OR predicted Mach 1.21, while RS had it @ mach 1.1.

As it pertains to your goal, if I load a Loki L-1040, both OR and RASAero predict Mach 1.95, which is close to your goal. Now just for fun I extended my booster section to accommodate a Loki L-2050 and RASAero and OR now predict Mach 2.3, but 28,000' so you better have the airspace. I would love to build this booster and swap it into my rocket as it would be so easy but I would have to travel a good distance to launch it...maybe one day.

Pretty sure you could hit it in the L range. Maybe a K with a flying case design--but that's my gut response... I'm out east and don't typically fly that way. Guess it depends on how much cash you want to throw at the goal and what kind of ceiling you have to fly to... then again, that sentence pretty much sums up HPR as a whole.

Later!

--Coop

Oh, it is not a serious goal, more simply wondering what goes into that kind of flight. Especially with the Casey Barker Ken Biba 100k rocket nearing mach3 on 98mm motors, it clearly happens even when the rocket is optimized for altitude rather than velocity. It does seem fairly extreme either way.

M2 is easy on a 54MD, a well designed 38 or maybe even a well designed 29. I think the smallest motor that can pull it off is the AT I204. I flew a minimal mass I204 a few months ago that simmed to M2.2. There's a way to break 2 for under $50. You're going to Aeronaut, right? That may be one of if not the best launch in terms of high speed flights (maybe Balls is #1, I dont know). If everyone's ready in time you'll see a handful of M3+ flights and a dozen or so M2+ flights. If you've caught the speed bug, there's no turning back now. :D

Alex

Back