Mozilla/Firefox Users

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
For the last couple of weeks, I've been experiencing a "Flash Player Block" by Mozilla and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. I can't even watch videos on TRF anymore. So I did a little research and discovered something I didn't know about. It might behoove any of you experiencing this, to read THIS LINK.

Gary,
You do realize this is in the LDRS general discussion sub-forum, right?
And yeah, I had that happen to me today. Didn't know the story, so thanks.

Adrian

Mods, please redirect this thread to the proper avenue.

You're welcome Adrian. It was news to me. I thought it was a XP issue. Yeah, still running the best Windows ever produced.

That happened to me on a Video somewhere yesterday. I closed my browser and did not go back to that site to try again.
I read the article, but it's a bunch of computer stuff they talk about, so I came away not knowing whether or not it is safe to click on "Allow" anyway or not.

That happened to me on a Video somewhere yesterday. I closed my browser and did not go back to that site to try again.
I read the article, but it's a bunch of computer stuff they talk about, so I came away not knowing whether or not it is safe to click on "Allow" anyway or not.

Well apparently, from what I got from the report, they were cautioning on days that end in a zero. Such was the day I had my issue. They're working fine now. They spoke of some hacker issues with days like the 10th, 20 & 30th. So maybe they're disabling for our protection. I kinda like it when companies care about their clients or users.

Adobe has been publishing updates on a weekly basis as of late.
I've installed at least 3 or more in this month alone.
So, they are working on it.....

JD

Well apparently, from what I got from the report, they were cautioning on days that end in a zero. Such was the day I had my issue. They're working fine now. They spoke of some hacker issues with days like the 10th, 20 & 30th. So maybe they're disabling for our protection. I kinda like it when companies care about their clients or users.

Ok, a "zero-day" exploit means something different...it means that people have had "zero-days warning", or in other words, the exploit is out "in the wild" and being actively used by hackers. (Typically, "white hat" hackers will exposee flaws, and then let companies know about them, with the assumption they will give them a certain amount of time, 90 or 180 days, to fix them before they make it known publicly, I guess to give the companies incentive to fix the flaw).

FYI, while I love Windows XP, the real problem is Adobe Flash, which has weekly bugs (more like daily bugs) that would allow a hacker to pretty much take over the computer. Flash is targeted, because it is on a LOT of computers, and it is very easy (apparently) to hack and gain control of a computer.

The solutions are:
1. Don't use Flash --> use HTML 5 to run videos (may be difficult if you are using an older computer)
2. Use Google Chrome to play Flash videon --> supposedly, Chrome has Flash "sandboxed" so that it can't take over your computer, but this has been disputed.
3. Do what you are currently doing, but be really, really careful. Not the most reassuring advice, but if Firefox will stop the video from automatically playing, then just play the videos *you* want to play, and make sure the videos are from legitimate and/or reputable sites (this may not be a 100% safeguard, but you will definitely have more problems if advertizing sites auto-play stuff; there is a lot of virus/hacking activity going on in advertisements, unfortunately).

Back