Irregular heartbeat of the Sun driven by double dynamo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You two should get a room...

Why is it that when one does not agree, or expresses...

A different opinion than that of the alarmists...

Dispersions get cast against character and intelligence...

It is automatically assumed that the "denier"...

Is either too stooopid to understand or hasn't done their due diligence...

Seems with this group that there is always a crisis...

One that should not be wasted...

I don't think there are any stupid people participating in the thread. Most are probably smarter than average. What bugs me is when a person actively participates in a thread, takes a side, has an opinion, but can't or won't say why. If you are going to get into a debate, then state your case.

I don't think there are any stupid people participating in the thread. Most are probably smarter than average. What bugs me is when a person actively participates in a thread, takes a side, has an opinion, but can't or won't say why. If you are going to get into a debate, then state your case.

I would love to "state my case" regarding the whys of my position...

It simply can't be done on this forum without getting banned again...

Maybe it is not so much the fact that we are creating too my CO2 maybe it
is because we are destroying the part of the ecosystem that removes it...

No doubt things like deforestation or other ecosystem destruction are not helping, but even healthy ecosystems would not be able to absorb all the extra carbon being added to the system. If a pound of fossil fuel were equal to a pound of biomass (they probably aren't exactly), and we are burning 30 billion tons of fossil fuel a year, then the world's ecosystems would need to produce 30 billion tons of extra biomass each year, over and above what they already produce. And that extra biomass would need to actually accumulate and build up and remain biomass, otherwise it would decay and go back to CO2. You aren't going to get 30 billion tons of new living forest each year. If anything, the world is losing biomass. I think someone actually started a thread on that recently.

... And that extra biomass would need to actually accumulate and build up and remain biomass, otherwise it would decay and go back to CO2.
That is not completely true, if it was we would not have fossil fuels... right?

That is not completely true, if it was we would not have fossil fuels... right?

When the biomass that eventually became fossil fuels was stored away, the world was covered in huge swamps. Plant matter was able to sink into the swamps, away from oxygen, and be covered by sediment. It didn't decay and eventually became fossil fuels. Now our world is not covered in swamps, so the conditions don't exist for that to happen on the same scale.

Also the process of sequestering all that biomass took about 30 million years, and now we are digging it all up and burning it in about 100 years. You can't do 30 million years worth of work in 100 years.

The Earth is obviously not storing away biomass and producing new coal and oil at the same rate we are digging it up and burning it.

I'm not worried about the burning of fossil fuels. When we run out of it the economy will collapse, food production will cease and we'll all die of starvation. That is if the Iranians don't nuke us first. :rofl:

QUOTE PatD I would agree that many, especially in America, are narcissistic. However the word I would use to describe those that subscribe to the faith of anthropogenic climate change is megalomania.They believe that we as humans have the power to change mother nature. There is a large body of evidence on both sides of the argument, but I have always subscribed to the concept of follow the money. The largest high profile proponents, and many less obvious ones, are proponents for one of a couple of reasons, power, money or both. Who of them, that you are aware of, do not contribute 10,000 time the carbon footprint of the average American, let alone the average world citizen? They expect everyone, except the ruling class or themselves, to reduce their standard of living to "fix the planet". They also make great profits by the fixes that they prescribe. This simply is not going to sell in 2nd and 3rd world countries that have seen what they can have on the internet and won't stop until they get it. I personally do everything I can to "think globally and act locally", however I am a pragmatist. The situation will eventually be resolved by mother nature. We as a species will survive or not depending on our personal actions. As a combat arms guy of 21 years I believe that when it's your turn, it's your turn and it is always your turn sooner or later, but you can try to leave things better for your contemporaries or those that follow. Do what you can personally and influence those close to you, it is the only way a movement actually starts. The ruling class is not your friend if money or power is at stake and I don't care what side of the political spectrum you come from. Sorry about the long screed, but I am really tired of the manipulation of major situations for benefit. End QUOTE

I always avoid the "what we need to do to fix it" topics on this forum. It never goes well. I limit myself to trying to discuss the scientific truth of what is happening, not what it means for the policy or politics. Questioning people's motives is also non-scientific. It's better to look at the facts and logic of what they say, not the motivation or "end game."

But if you want to talk about following the money with regards to the truth about whether or not global warming is happening, on one side you have the vast overwhelming majority of scientists saying that it is happening. What money do these scientists have at stake in making that case? What is their motivation? What drives them to say what they do? I've known scientists involved with basic research all my life. They don't make jack squat doing research. But they also don't make dirty money taking a side in a policy argument. They do research because that's what they like to do, and they sacrifice a lot to follow that calling. I personally believe the science is legit and not faked for profit.

Now if you choose to believe that scientists are motivated by money, they are corrupt, and they are willing to make up research to take a side in the global warming "argument", which side do you think would have the most money to offer? Would it be the side hoping someday to make money by offering a solution? Or would it be the side already making billions of dollars every single week selling fossil fuels, running power plants, selling cars, or running industries that benefit from the cheapest energy possible. Who do you think would have the most money to buy off corrupt scientists?

How much money do you think has been made in the past century from fossil fuels and the industry it drives? How many hundreds of billions or even trillions of dollars of fossil fuel still are in the ground just waiting to be extracted and sold? Wars have been fought over these resources. People murdered. Governments overthrown. And even with all that power, you expect me to believe that somehow those fossil fuel interests have not managed to do a better job buying off some of the 97% of scientists who say global warming is real, and it's caused by burning fossil fuels? Somehow Al Gore and the other enviro-bogey-men have managed to buy off almost all the world's scientists with "carbon credits", and the oil and coal industry could not get the cash together for a better offer? All they have been able to afford is 3% of the world's corrupt, money-grubbing scientists? Seriously?

I decided to let this marinade for a while before I replied. Post in haste, repent in leisure you know. :) I copied my initial post above yours so the context will be clear.

I must improve my communication skills. Perhaps you could point out where I denigrated scientists in general or climatologists specifically? Although obviously not as well versed as you, I have been following the climate change issue for years. In fact I believe the science reliably demonstrates that global warming exists and that there is a high probability that AGW is the major cause.

My issue is with the faith of AGW,as I noted in my original post, and those that profit from it (and I am not talking about the PV installer, one of whom I will be employing shortly). I believe in another post you called it "one of those identity politics issues where I think people wear their beliefs like some kind of identity badge to show what "tribe" they are in. It's part of their identity group.". Since you brought up Al Gore, 20 foot sea rise in his "documentary"? I believe at the time the IPCC was predicting a worst case of 2.6 feet in a century (yes I know that would be catastrophic for most coasts). People like him use hyperbole to separate the sheep from their fleece. And the hypocrisy of Gore, https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2011/06/29/is-al-gore-a-fossil-fuel-industry-mole/ . Of course many on that side don't care if he lies, cheats and steals as long as the cause is moved forward. The problem of identity politics, particularly in the U.S., in my opinion has become an impediment to rational reactions to a host of issues. I believe from your posts that you would agree that the vast majority of people with an opinion are either to lazy to do their own research, improperly educated on the issue or ignore facts contrary to their beliefs.

One issue I have with the science of climatology is that some of the participants, not necessarily pure researchers, appear to have moved to the "faith" side of the issue. One example I found in a casual search was that of Judith Curry. Links to her blog and articles she is referencing found here https://judithcurry.com/2010/10/25/heresy-and-the-creation-of-monsters/ . She is referred to as a heretic and the consensus as dogma in a Scietific American article submitted by a ClimateCentral journalist. Yes I understand that this is five years old and the writer is not a noted researcher; it is just an example but I doubt the attitudes have changed since. She had the temerity to question the issue of uncertainty because it was essentially treated cavalierly at the time in her opinion. She also had the bad judgement to engage with people on the "denier" side of the discussion. Basically she was open to questioning the IPCC and improving transparency in the climate change field and was excoriated for it from some in the field. Granted others were puzzled at the uproar over the issue. The upshot is, how do you get 97% of the vote? Kill all the dissenters. Same concept.

On the subject of "pure of heart" researchers only interested in the science. The recent release of a non-peer reviewed paper by Jim Hansen essentially predicting a >5 meter rise in sea level within the 21st century would appear to be designed to influence the COP21 talks scheduled for this fall, specifically the 2% limit issue. It has since been somewhat modified after the outcry within the field. Kinda the flip side of the CRU issue prior to COP15 which most on the AGW side of the discussion decry as an attempt to sabotage the talks. And yes I know the result of multiple investigations into that situation.

Of course these things I bring up as my concerns will not interest you because they are issues of human nature, not strictly scientific truths as you stated. The problem with that, in my opinion, is that the scientists, policy makers and general population are human. They are subject to the foibles of the human race. Good and bad decisions, policy making and profiteering are all part of the human equation in this issue.

If you want to discuss the petro-chemical industry, that is a whole other can-o-worms. I was involved in one of those wars you refer to, giving me a slightly different view than the majority. In brief I think that the influence you noted is based on a number of things. Crony capitalism, self enrichment and strategic concerns by the ruling class are high on the list. I won't go further down that rabbit hole right now.

It is obvious that you are very well read on the science of climate change. I am pretty well versed in people and a competent jack of all trades in a number of subjects. Both of these are why I waited to post. "screw you, you angry ass, that's not what I said" probably wouldn't advance the discussion in a civil manner. :) Presentation does make a large impact on the way people perceive the message you are trying to convey.

You have a great evening. I will look forward to additional posts from you on this and other issues.

I must improve my communication skills. Perhaps you could point out where I denigrated scientists in general or climatologists specifically? Although obviously not as well versed as you, I have been following the climate change issue for years. In fact I believe the science reliably demonstrates that global warming exists and that there is a high probability that AGW is the major cause.

Maybe you should clarify what you mean by the "faith of anthropogenic climate change" and who exactly you're accusing of "Megalomania".

Before Googling these, how many of you reading this thread know who or what "Suspicious Observers" is?

How many of you have heard of the "Electric Universe" theory?

I have followed "SO" since ~May 2013 with great interest and I can see a great deal of evidence that the "EU" theory holds water quite well.

Before Googling these, how many of you reading this thread know who or what "Suspicious Observers" is?

How many of you have heard of the "Electric Universe" theory?

I have followed "SO" since ~May 2013 with great interest and I can see a great deal of evidence that the "EU" theory holds water quite well.
I had never heard of either.

[video=youtube;7jzBWmpzifc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jzBWmpzifc[/video]

I had never heard of either theory so I did a Google Search. Thanks for posting them Scott!

Ron, I would make you a deal, I watch your video if you watch mine, but I already believe Global Warming is a hoax, at least for the reasons we are lead to believe.

If there is any one thing I can point to, which would address 85-95% of the last 4 pages of "on topic" discussion in this thread, it is the video below. Keep in mind that it was published in May 2014, over a year ago, well before the "double dynamo" findings. So to that paper, I would say it is a direct and firm reinforcement to the video I present you all with here.

The Electric Universe theory is a much more in depth theory to the interactions between the bodies in out universe. If you had heard of this theory, you would probably already understand some of the information presented in the video below.

To the skeptics, Ben Davidson, the man in the video, is an independent researcher who gave up his well paying job at a hospital in Columbus Ohio to pursue his passion of studying the sun. He is not a climatologist. He is not even a scientist, but why would that allow you to dismiss his abilities to do research, study the sun and intelligently debate the facts with those in the field of climatology? I say you do not need to be a climatologist in order to know what you are talking about when it comes to climate change. You only need study the field and all influences on climate To prove my point, I have no formal education in any field related to rocket science or solid rocket propulsion, yet few would argue that I do not know what I am talking about when it comes to designing and building a working high performance solid rocket motor. No, I don't know it all, very far from it, but I probably know more about solid rocket propulsion than 99% of the worlds population. I guess that makes me a rocket scientist or a solid rocket propulsion engeneer ;-)

If you have a favorite show, a ball game or something else you planed on watching this evening, I would argue that the following is more important in shaping your world view of current and future events. Enjoy!

[video=youtube;5c4XPVPJwBY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c4XPVPJwBY&feature=iv&src_vid=_PDC5s3VD7I&annotation_id=annotation_1314790757[/video]

Scott, I watched the video you posted at number 108 and found it very informative and worth every one of its 36 1/2 minutes. I'm sure there are deniers about, silently lurking and concocting rebuttals. :pop:

Since we're on the subject of the sun, I thought I'd add the following about a paper that was submitted, but denied review about the link between the sun and earthquakes here on earth. I can't do the explanation justice myself, but there is a correlation between the suns polar fields (SPF) and earthquakes here on earth. There also seems to be a correlation between sun spots on the sun, and hurricanes/typhoons here on earth, but that isn't covered here I don't think. They act in very similar manors.

The paper they submitted is available to anyone who would like to read it in full. They are above the video on the web page linked here. https://spaceweathernews.com/spf/

If you follow Suspicious Observers on Youtube, Ben does a short 4-5 minute video every day showing brief highlights of the suns activities, space weather, earth weather, earthquakes and other new news in those fields. You can always find links below in the video descriptions to all sited informational sources from every video. His Youtube channel also has several insightful Playlists on Climate Change and Space Weather.

The Electric Universe theory is a much more in depth theory to the interactions between the bodies in out universe. If you had heard of this theory, you would probably already understand some of the information presented in the video below.

Electric Universe rates right up there with Time Cube theory. Only without the annoying HTML.

Okay David, you lost me there, except to say (I think) that you believe the electric universe is a bunch of gibberish? Incoherent gibberish is what came to mind when I tried reading the link you gave.

Electric Universe theory reads much better than that which you posted. ;-)

If you think about it, many things have an electric field. Our brains, well all living things for that matter, your carpet holding a static charge, electrons and so on all have electric fields. They are all around us every day of our lives, so I don't think it's too far fetched to think it is possible.

Okay David, you lost me there, except to say (I think) that you believe the electric universe is a bunch of gibberish?

Got it in one.

If you think about it, many things have an electric field.

Big deal. I have had the usual crop of courses required to get an EE degree so you can't snow me with talk of electric fields. Things like
The Sun and stars are electrically powered by drift currents
are complete and total flup.

Big deal. I have had the usual crop of courses required to get an EE degree so you can't snow me with talk of electric fields. Things like are complete and total flup.
My whole profession is playing with electrons, in tiny orbits...
Funny thing about electrons, they never give you their whole
story, either know where they are or what they are doing but
you can never know both...

Heisenberg and Schrödinger get pulled over for speeding.
The cop asks Heisenberg "Do you know how fast you were going?"
Heisenberg replies, "No, but we know exactly where we are!"
The officer looks at him confused and says "you were going 108 miles per hour!"
Heisenberg throws his arms up and cries, "Great! Now we're lost!"
The officer looks over the car and asks Schrödinger if the two men have anything in the trunk.
"A cat," Schrödinger replies.
The cop opens the trunk and yells "Hey! This cat is dead."
Schrödinger angrily replies, "Well he is now."

Last edited:
I'm am neither a chemist nor an electrical engineer but it is my understanding that chemistry and electricity are intimately related, so much so that chemical reactions are actually electrical in nature. So also are electricity and magnetism intertwined. It is pretty well established that solar flares can disrupt Earth's magnetosphere, disrupt radio transmissions and cause other undesirable havoc for Earthlings. Here's some food for thought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrochemistry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(lightning)

I'm am neither a chemist nor an electrical engineer but it is my understanding that chemistry and electricity are intimately related, so much so that chemical reactions are actually electrical in nature.
Exactly, and well put. Chemistry is the rearrangement of atoms. Bonds between
atoms are actually the transfer and/or sharing of electrons between atoms.
Electricity is the movement of electrons. Some materials allow free movement
of electrons, copper is an good example, it is a conductor, most metals due to
the nature of the metallic bond are conductors, some are better than others.
Some materials are semi-conductors and have the ability when properly engineered
to allow electron flow in only one direction, silicon, in particular, contaminated
silicon (doped), then there are materials that do a very good job of stopping the
flow of electrons, insulators, such as glass or mica, etc.

So also are electricity and magnetism intertwined.
They are actually 2 halves of the whole picture. When you have a radio wave,
microwave, light, gamma radiation; they are all electromagnetic waves. That
means that they have both a electrical component and a magnetic component.

An electron (or any charged particle) travelling through space will be influenced
by any electrical or magnetic field. Particles that have a zero net charge will not
be influenced. The stronger the field the larger the influence.

Latest posts

Back