Back into the Fray

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfytr310

Reaction score
Hello All!

Man. It has been a long time. The last time I posted here was in '08 I believe. I had made the decision to leave the hobby for several reasons but primarily because I had decided to return to college to get an engineering degree and my free time dropped to nil. A lot of time has now gone by. I am now married, have a 4 y/o daughter, a son on the way (~November 9th), graduated college (twice), acquired a firm position in the electrical engineering world, cycled through several hobbies, run 3 marathons (working on #4) and yet, despite all the time, distance and experiences, I do not find myself immune to the bug.

My daughter saw one of my old Estes kits (I think it is the Big Daddy but I am guessing as I rarely put decals on my kits) last week and wanted to see it fly. I took her to the LHS to buy motors, launch pad, controller etc etc and I could already feel the bug making an appearance. We took all the requisite components to a soccer field nearby, set it up and let her fly. Seeing the excitement from my daughter as she pressed the button and the rocket took to the air, the smell of the BP, the anticipation of waiting for the parachute to deploy... It just brought a lot back for me and the bug became fully set in.

That said, I am back. I am planning on spending the summer living in the LP and MP world while working on a L1 project. After the flight mentioned above, I bought an Aerotech Warthog on the way home. I still have my original L1 kit (see avatar) but I would like to reboot my skills and build new. I hope to regain L1 this fall and follow it up with L2 maybe in the Spring. I had passed the L2 test and built a 4" Thor from BSD to 90% completion but it all got trashed (imagine my disappointment when I learned I couldn't repurchase.... :facepalm:). I haven't decided what I will build for L1 but I know for L2 I am between Binder's Velociraptor and Tyrannosaur with DD. We shall see though, I want to take more time to learn the finer points of the hobby and gain a better understanding of the physics behind everything. I plan to use Open Rocket for everything MP and above to hopefully get more out of what I am doing.

So, I know there have been changes. What are the major ones? I see there are new rules from the FAA. It seems the HP certification process is essentially the same but I won't say I have done a deep dive yet. Anything in particular I should be paying attention to in the electronics world? Anything else I should be paying attention to that has changed over the last 7 or so years?

Thanks and I look forward to flying with any of you in the near future!

-Mike

If you got your L1 from NAR you are still certified. Contact them and give them your info and hopefully they can resurrect your certification so you don't need to do it again (unless you want to).

Welcome back.

Right. NAR certs never expire. You just have to renew your membership. You will have to retake the L2 exam if you want to pursue L2, as they rotate and update the exams from time to time.

I enjoyed your post. All those things are quite enjoyable, and bringing your children into it is the best!

I don't really think too much has changed since 2008. I mean, if you read Mark Canepa's book from 2005, it is all still relevant. Obviously, there are new altimeters, new GPS trackers, new propellants, etc. But you still stick a motor up the rocket's rear end watch it blast into the heavens.

Probably easier if you ask specific questions as they arise. And take a good long look through these sites to see what's on the market:

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com
https://www.rocketrywarehouse.com
https://www.macperformancerocketry.com
https://www.missileworks.com
https://amwprox.com

I know others will post their favorite vendors as well.

Welcome back! You seem like you've got a lot on your plate and asking for more! :wink:

I can relate since I've also "run 3 marathons (working on #4)". I would say that finding the time for this hobby between work, family and running is tough...especially when doing the running required for a marathon and also how the long runs often coincide with the weekend launches, but it seems that when there's something we really want/need, we find the time. On the other hand, the running and hobby time can be quite therapeutic.

I would just suggest giving your spouse the greatest appreciation possible for being so understanding (and hopefully supportive) and also making sure to build some with your daughter (time for a Mega Der Kitty Max!!!)...great way to spend time with the kids - time you can't get back and also both of you won't forget. :)

Last edited:
Welcome back for sure..
It's super cool that you came back and now have your daughter in tow...
The next generation....

I'd guess the biggest changes would be in electronics...
But those changes would be for the better,,
more user friendly,, more intuitive...
You'll walk through easy peasy...
Go fly some rockets with your little girl...

Teddy

I just got done corresponding with Marie and Ted at NAR and I am good to go! Fully reinstated L1 and all!

Back