Greetings from Stafford, VA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culprit

Reaction score
Greetings from Stafford, VA. Another born again rocketeer, here. I built and flew tons of Estes A-B-C's as a kid in the '80's and '90's. Now I'm a married father of 4 and am rediscovering rocketry with the kids. I have been reading here on the forum and have been introduced to this whole L1, 2, 3 thing. I am intrigued and now have a Leviathan kit (and a few others) patiently waiting in the garage for me to finish my wife's drop-leaf table. It looks like there is a club or two about a hour from me so I'll have to look into that.

Semper Fidelis,
Culprit

IMG_2059.JPG

Crimeny, he said L1. He's doomed I tell ya, he's doomed.

Welcome and get out the wallet.

Welcome to the forum! Lots of good people with great info and many interesting? discussions.

Welcome!

The Leviathan is a great rocket, and it flies great on F and G motors. And it can easily be flown on H motors too for L1, but it goes pretty high, and there are a few recommended modifications for flying it on high power motors.

If you've only flown A, B, and C in the past, there are a lot of fun D and E rockets too to try. Have fun!

Thanks guys. Yes, I also bought a Chuter Two and a Super Neon XL in the Estes sale to work up to the Leviathan. I also couldn't pass up the new Estes Mercury Redstone kit (AC Supply). That was my favorite, largest and most complex rocket as a kid. I actually built it as a photo essay in 5th grade. I tore through the boxes under the stairs but couldn't find the pictures. Maybe they're in my parents basement.

I have been reading the forum and learning about modifications to fly stronger motors. In preparation for the Leviathan, I might modify the Redstone for 24mm motors. I've been flying an Astron Outlaw and Longneck Express with the kids. Next will be the Chuter Two, and we'll go from there. I'm loving this.

Check out NOVAAR, great club, nice field at The Plains, good for Estes and motors up to a J.
MDRA, across the river, great time when you like watching or flying bigger stuff, too.
SERVA in Chesapeake, too.
Welcome
Dave Alewine
TRA 7299L3
Alexandria, VA

Welcome! I live just south of you in Fredericksburg. I drive up the the MDRA launches on the eastern shore every month, about a 2 hour drive. Battlepark (Tripoli Central Virginia) is closer but I haven't been there yet. They only fly November through April.

Welcome to the forum Culprit...
There is definitely no better place for information of all sorts,,
and you'll have a laugh or two while your at it....

And this really is an addiction....lol...

Teddy

Also novaar.organd hovar.org. Novaar has one of the nicest fields on the planet, but only ~two* launches a year not on a Saturday. Hovar is maybe as long a drive for you as MDRA and less big rockets to see, but a small club, no fees. Hopefully we can get a launch to work this month and I can make it.

*and I think the one Sept. this year is new (I work on Sat.)

Last edited:
Hello Culorit,

Welcome to the forums I have flown at Tripoli central VA a couple of times and hope to fly there more this fall. I have also flown at HOVAR and I am planning to make it out there for their July 25th launch.

Welcome Culprit,

Definitely check out your clubs. Flying is much more fun with a group.
It's a great inexpensive day with your kids, and they'll like seeing the variety of models and flights.

I'm building the Estes Mercury Redstone on my blog now at:
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
Just starting the capsule and tower.

Back