Should I buy more rocket stuff?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morlock

Reaction score
This is some sort of poll to show to my girlfriend that, according to some highly qualified (and mostly neutral) people, it is fine to buy more and more rocket related stuff (parts, books, motors...).

So, what do you think? Should I buy more rocket stuff?

That's like asking the average passerby if they like breathing...wrong place to ask this question, kiddo!
Here, you could ask the question "If you could sell your brother/sister for a rocket kit-which one would it be"? Most of us would tell you it had to be more than one kit.....
I really like my brother-so I'd hold out for three.

That's like asking the average passerby if they like breathing...wrong place to ask this question, kiddo!
Here, you could ask the question "If you could sell your brother/sister for a rocket kit-which one would it be"? Most of us would tell you it had to be more than one kit.....
I really like my brother-so I'd hold out for three.

Well, it would really depend on the kit, wouldn't it?

Do you have doubles of everything yet just in case you lose one? It wouldn't hurt to have even 3 of everything. One to fly, one to sacrifice to the tree gods, and one to collect in original package.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to look for neutral, unbiased opinions, but it is a GREAT place to find convincing rationalizations and time tested arguments and strategies! So you definitely came to the right place!

I'm looking at the fleet in your signature, and it does not look at all unreasonably big. Also, the rockets themselves are not big. Once the rockets start approaching the size of humans, that's when the trouble starts. Get one that's five feet tall and as thick as your leg. At that size, it's reasonable to say maybe you can only store two or three. But for the smaller rockets, you can definitely justify more of them!

Also, rockets don't last forever. So you need to have the replacement queued up in case one crashes, explodes, or drifts away. And as you get into larger motors, you'll need to have replacements and backups ready for each level --- LPR, MPR, HPR level 1, HPR level 2, etc. --- at least a couple built kits and one on deck for each.

One of the things I've found is that my wife is not that opposed to the number of rockets and related paraphernalia as long as its not intruding into all other areas of life. So if you need a storage solution, then maybe a plastic storage bin would be a better strategy than a display on the mantel. We have a table in our garage where I like to do my builds, and my wife likes to refer to the table as the "laundry table," while I prefer to call it the "rocket factory." Now I tend to keep that term for my private use and just build my rockets on the laundry table and clean it up when done. The idea that we had a rocket factory in the garage seemed to be contributing to the idea that I had lost my mind, and the rocketry had gotten out of hand.

You gotta know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run.

You never count your rockets
When yer at the laundry table
Open up yer rocket factory
When she's gone to bed

Last edited:
Ok, I'll bite. Why, because we all secretly or not want more kits then we can build.

Are we talking a Giant leap 6" Talon or a few Estes LPR?

I would say from my wife's point of view - she met me when I raced sprint cars and ATVs - so in her words " this is by far my husbands cheapest hobby" wow I lov my wife. Plus I'm home more with rockets . Uh no I can't afford race cars anymore..

Questions:
Do u have the $?
Uhm, does she see that you have a passion for a reasonable hobby?... That is up to L2... And for you vice versa.

Beats hanging out with riff raff , some may argue with that :)

On a serious note.
A very wise person told me once... Make sure you family is taken care of first, then your hobby is more enjoyable and not a burden / guilt.

Hope you find your answers .
I personally like to have 4-8 "to be built" kits.

Also you could entertain scratch building. I have several nice shipping tubes and you can make several other components, if u have the tools

Good luck

When I was a BAR and I had very few rockets, my wife agreed to go to Hobby Lobby with me to build my collection a little bit. She would say,"Honey, thank you for fixing up the house, print out some coupons and we will head over to Hobby Lobby". I would also make reasons to sneak to Hobby Lobby to grab a little extra and stash them. One day I waited for my wife to be in the best mood to show her my collection so that I wouldn't have to keep hiding them. The mountain is getting so big now, that I can buy a big shipment and burry them in the mountain and they will go un-noticed.

Yep, but you are asking your fellow addicts for guidance in this issue! LOL

Last edited:
YES !

You need to fly a HPR motor and do an electronics sled .

Buy a 3" Estes PS II or a Wildman Punisher or a DYOK from the Rocketry Warehouse ...time to Level Up.

Kenny

If u can afford it, buy it!! If not, wait til u can, there is no rush. I, for one have WAY too much stuff to even count. I look at it as u live once and better make the most of it.

Preston

I can't remember when I started but I was building kit bashes and building my own launch system when I was 10, that was the year we landed on the Moon (I was there to see the liftoff).
Lost interest around 12 or 13 when my 3 stage D-12 scratch built shredded.
My brother and I saw a magazine around '99 and this guy was standing next to a rocket that was as tall as his shed.
Crap,...now I have a disease for which there is no cure....High-powered Rocketry, haven't stopped buying or building since....you can NEVER have enough stuff

Last edited:
So long as your budget can support it - buy it

You never know when a kit will go out of production, so get them when you can.....

Us addicts love company - it helps to be able to point to other hoarders ........... (no wait) crazies ....... (still not right) uhm, fellow rocketeers!!

Now that all the loonies have had their say ... :wink:

I own five HPR rockets. On a good launch day, I have time to launch four of them. If I launch four, that's costing me roughly $150 in reloads alone.

I have 29mm, 38mm, and 54mm motor mounts, so I can do a little of everything. I look forward to launch day all month, and at the end of it, I am very happy.

So, I'm not one of those people who has to own fifteen built kits and 25 unbuilt kits. I will probably add one HPR kit a year to my collection.

Someday I want to get my Level 3, but I can't see myself paying for it. So I am hoping the company I work for will agree to finance it as an advertising stunt. $3000 should be a drop in the bucket to them, and I can put it up in spectacular fashion at a Red Glare and maybe a URRG.

Anyway, you can probably buy 10 LPR kits a month for what I spend on motors alone--and I am a tightwad. :)

Qualified - probably. Neutral - you gotta be kidding!! "A more wretched hive of scum and rocketeers you will not find." (sorry Mr. Guinness)

Now get out there and support the rocket economy. :cool:

One more loonie has to have his say::grin:
Get her hooked on rockets too!
When Hobby Lobby had 50% on Estes Rockets (MANY moons ago....) I made an unexpected trip and purchased about $150.00 worth of kits before picking her up at work.
The conversation went something like this:

Me- I was bad....
Kelly- What did you do?
Me- I stopped and bought some more kits.
Kelly- How much did you spend?
Me- About 150 bucks.
-silence-
Kelly- Did you get me anything?
-silence-
Me- Wanna go back?
-silence-
Kelly- OK

To make a long story short, when she got out, I got all of her stuff!:grin:

Evil Ed

Back