Unknow Motor Manufacturer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott S

Reaction score
I came across a fellow flier leaving the hobby and picked up a bunch of motors and hardware from him. Brands included Aeotech, Vulcan and Syner-Jet Propulsion. I'd never heard of Syner-Jet before but at least it had labels identifying it.

There was also Kosdon hardware wrapped in Las Angles Times newspaper dated January 2, 1993.
Kosdon 1.jpg

paper date.jpg

If interested, keep an eye out in the yard sale area.

But what I'm looking for is if anyone can identify who's system this is:

motor system.jpg

The smaller 38mm and 29mm motors came assembled and one has the label shown. The case is filament wound fiberglass with the forward and rear closures epoxied in.
The 54mm motor has the graphite nozzle epoxied in, has 9 grains with large cores and a graphite rear closure that looks like it may have black powder packed into to help ignite the motor.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Scott

Wayne Shafer, Syner-Jet. I still have some of his hardware. I will be interested in anything you have, pm me if you don't want to go thru the yard sale. I believe Wayne was one of the first to market snap ring reloadable motors.

Jim,

Is the fiberglass hardware / reload his as well? Was this the system he had before the snap rings?

Thanks, Scott

Yes, it was essentially a LMS. Hmmmm, wonder where Aerotech got the idea? I'm just saying....

Wayne also had the first delay adjustment tool I seen. Essentially a big brass drill stop.

I was familiar with his single use motors, Ravanna Rocket Research and later Synerjet. Used to fly with Wayne in Ohio.

I spoke with the flyer I got these motors from and he thought they were manufactured by Flight Systems for the Steven Seagal movie, Under Siege. Special effects?? Did Flight systems every manufacture motors like these?

But I've found another motor that is very interesting as well. It's the same type, filament would fiberglass with a graphite nozzle and fwd closure epoxied in. The grain geometry is very interesting. The case is 29mm x 15" long. There are 3 grains which are very long for a 29mm motors (4.25" long). All 3 grains have a round core the full length of the motor as well as a c-slot on one side that ties into the core. The bottom (nozzle end) grain has another c-slot on the opposite side as well. I tried to point out the details in the picture below.

motor.jpg

Anyone seen a motor like this before?

I gotta ask..Wayne and Kathy are seen in old HPR mags in Danville showing off Red Anodized snap ring motors with what looks like a green visco fuse in a plastic tube ignition..anyone else remember this?..It was either the first attempt of The Iroc or the second..did they really use a squib to ignite Visco fuse?

I gotta ask..Wayne and Kathy are seen in old HPR mags in Danville showing off Red Anodized snap ring motors with what looks like a green visco fuse in a plastic tube ignition..anyone else remember this?..It was either the first attempt of The Iroc or the second..did they really use a squib to ignite Visco fuse?

Thermalite in sheathing. The plastic sheath makes it burn near instantly. This is to light the top of the motor. Anything from a bridge wire to a flashbulb would light the stuff.

But the green Lacquer color was clearly visible..that's why I mentioned it..not Thermalite..also the tubing was bigger to fit the Visco..I can't scan the picture or I would.

Last edited:
But the green Lacquer color was clearly visible..that's why I mentioned it..not Thermalite..also the tubing was bigger to fit the Visco..I can't scan the picture or I would.

Tubing will make any fuse faster. I would have guessed Thermalite since there were 3 colors (Red - Slow, White - Fast, and I thought Green was Medium). Fast and Slow were the most common I seen.

Visco isn't as hot, I think I tried using different forms of visco with a bridgewire when I first got back into rocketry and thermalite was no longer available. It did not work very well.

Pictures would help identify it.

Back