ESTES Argent - Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did end up finishing this thing... I took a bit of a hiatus though.

rocketsplit-2.jpg

And here it is assembled and standing next to my Estes Star Orbiter and Estes Magician.

standing-2.jpg

It turned out fantastic. Love how this rocket looks.

I did have to add some weight to the nose to bring the CG forward and make up for the use of epoxy on the fin can and the baffle addition. It was pretty simple... just used some pinewood derby rod weights and epoxied them into the nosecone.

Didn't actually get around to launching it thought until last weekend. Sent it up on a Estes G80-7W composite motor at a local club launch.

launch.jpg

Made it to a height of 1810 feet.

altitude.jpg

I used a Jolly Roger Chute Release in it set at 400 ft... but the parachute took a long time to open (will probably set it for 500-600 ft next time). Fortunately it had a nice safe landing with no damage. Plan to launch it again at the next club launch in April using a Aerotech G79-7W.

[video=youtube;M3uk4nmHIFc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3uk4nmHIFc[/video]

Hope you enjoyed the build log and launch video. :)

That turned out beautifully!

I don't think you needed any nose weight. I built a shortened version that flies great with no ballast. I am pretty certain that the design is over stable by several calibers.

My Arg:

IMG_1792.jpg

First MPR. Then an H115DM got me L1 in it. I love that rocket. FB_IMG_1506566147044.jpg20170817_192831.jpg1202171040.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

That turned out beautifully!

I don't think you needed any nose weight. I built a shortened version that flies great with no ballast. I am pretty certain that the design is over stable by several calibers.

My Arg:

View attachment 340912

I did need some as my baffle, the metal bits and all the epoxy added a ton of weight to the aft end. I over did it though and it's very overstable. Figure if I launch it in calm conditions then I won't have to worry about weather cocking as much. Tried it on RockSim before I ever changed a thing though. According to Rocksim... unless I am launching it during a wind storm, I should be fine.

Back