Donut on a nose cone tradition... Any ideas where it started?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salvage-1

Certified
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea what the donut tradition is, or where it started. I had seen Pete E in Rockets and Extreme Rocketry magazines, with Team NUMB.
It seems that Team NUMB have launched more than a few rockets with a donut on the nose.

So, when I got Pete Ekstrom from Team NUMB as one of my TAP's for my L3 project, I thought that a donut would be a good idea, at least as a joke.

Now, after the launch I have had more than a couple of comments like "glad to see the donut tradition lives on".

The question being, what is this tradition, and where did it start??? Also, who has seen a donut on a nose cone, and where was it launched?

I've never heard of it, but I would guess that prior to the doughnut falling away due to the speed of the air causing it to fall apart, it would raise both the CG and CP.

Oh the humanity!!! Why would anybody waste a perfectly good doughnut doing this? :sad:

The reason for launching a donut is to keep it away from Ariana Grande's slobbery tongue. Who knows where that tongue has been.

I'm going to have to select glazed for my nosecone, they're fairly smooth. Aerodynamics are so important when selecting a donut to put on your rocket so avoid the blueberry at all costs since they're so rough.

I tried a few, but they didn't quite work:

French Cruller: caused a crazy spin
Boston Cream: Just a mess of goo...not pretty. Reminded me of my first rocket build with too much glue.
Bear Claw: Rocket fell off the pad, then motor ignited. Rocket proceeded to do a circular dance while pounding said Bear Claw into the ground
Eclair: Kept falling off the nosecone, so I had to tape it to the side of the rocket. Rocket did a few Loop-the-loops.

780891b1f41c1d45272f284c1596f44f.jpeg

I believe it to be a very old tradition....like from the 50's....

The Launch Director would offer a donut to the gods to insure a nominal flight.

I may be old fashion, but I can't thinik of a creuller thing to do to a donut...would a Canadian rocketeer be a Maple BAR???

"Ay, Claire, get that thing off my rocket." [Ignition occurs] "D'oh! Nuts. I can't cake any more of this, I'm fed up with the hole thing. I'm fried. I think I've gone completely glazey."

I like it. It can go in the same strip mall with my three shops:

• Ye Olde Towne Pizzeria
  • The Ethanol Emporium (a liquor store)
  • Son of Aphrodite (an adult bookstore)

I like it. It can go in the same strip mall with my three shops:

• Ye Olde Towne Pizzeria
  • The Ethanol Emporium (a liquor store)
  • Son of Aphrodite (an adult bookstore)

That would be the kind of mall where you would also fins a "Taco Town" in the food court.

Have been to Rocket Donuts in Bellingham, WA (logo above in post #11). Pretty good stuff (though a tiny parking lot that is a little hard to get into and out of - but it does have a large and cool 1950s science fiction-y rocket in it).....

Last edited:
Back