Six Million Dollar Man Bionic Transport

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serpico

Reaction score
I picked up a a mint condition Bionic Transport on eBay!

Got me thinking .... ... .. . Plastic Model Conversion? Sure why not! I bought another not-so-mint one and plan to attempt a PMC:

View attachment 267154View attachment 267155

EDIT: I had NO idea just what I purchased: unopened (until 10 minutes ago lol), mint, instructions, no fade or yellowing, all parts and packing materials still sealed in original bags, and original sticker sheet. WoHooo!!

Last edited:
That is a great find!
I have thought of a PMC of this too but could never figure a way to make it work other than using it as a capsule.

Clever. I'll bet my mom still has mine stored away somewhere.

What I wouldn't give to have my Evel Knievel stuff again.

That is a great find!
I have thought of a PMC of this too but could never figure a way to make it work other than using it as a capsule.

There is gonna be a lot of Dremel action on the innards that's for sure - my initial idea is to gut it and use it as a "wrap" around a 4" airframe. Fins will be challenging and not accurate to the model. Maybe clear plexi?

Started the project last night - A leftover Precision Loc IV tube fits pretty well with the Bionic Transport shell after some dremel work:

I kept the MIB. For this build i purchased a used old transport, broken Steve Austin (ironic), and replacement stickers.

Almost finished the build. Still trying to figure out what to do about fins.

Custom retaining bracket for the motor: Expecting to fly with an Aerotech F50 ~ so far so good!

So after a lot of thought on fins, I decided to go with removable fins. I'm trying to keep as close as possible to the original toy design; adding removable fins allows me to maintain the original form factor outside of flying.

Found some fins that work however I had to sacrifice another kit. Used the 3D printer to print fin mounts:

Recovery system installed. Chute fits nicely in the nosecone, cord tucks into airframe. The cord is mounted to the nosecone using a small eye hook/bolt - which mounted perfectly in a hole that was part of the toys' initial design! Like it was meant to be!!

This is the coolest thing I've seen in ages, and I really wish I had thought of it! Second to that, I wish I were your neighbor.

Rocksim data below. I used fin tubes to replicate the toy rocket motors. Going to fly an Aerotech G80T-7. Should get her to 1500' ~ I expect a much lower altitude due to all the drag from the MANY MANY MANY airframe anomalies, bumps, humps, etc. lol.

Last edited:
When's the launch? We need video!!!!

Our launch sites are under a burn ban right now :/ ... was hoping to launch last Saturday but the meet got cancelled due to dry overgrowth. I am traveling this weekend so it may be a few weeks now :(

Will definitely do my best to get pix and video.

Let's just hope for a smooth flight...

[video=youtube;HoLs0V8T5AA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA[/video]

Otherwise you may have to rebuild it...

You have the technology...

You have the capability to make the world's first Bionic Man Transport.

The Bionic Man Transport rocket will the be that rocket.

Better than it was before.

Better...

Stronger...

Faster.

Last edited:
Let's just hope for a smooth flight...

[video=youtube;HoLs0V8T5AA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA[/video]

Otherwise you may have to rebuild it...

You have the technology...

You have the capability to make the world's first Bionic Man Transport.

The Bionic Man Transport rocket will the be that rocket.

Better than it was before.

Better...

Stronger...

Faster.

Nice! :grin:

Very cool! I must have watched that intro like...six million times! :wink: Still love it...seems the only time they showed him running fast too. lol! Even as a kid, I used to wonder why they would slo mo him to show him running fast when they could've just as easily sped him up. I felt that the slo-mo on the power parts looked good, but the running looked like an old person on a scooter could beat him. :)

The plane/spaceship that is shown in the intro was a real craft...the M2-F1 (here's a link...lots of ads though):
https://space.io9.com/nasa-and-the-six-million-dollar-man-1574799649
Would be cool to make that into a rocket as well!

This is cool, I still remember the roll back skin and removable plexiglass ckt modules you could remove from his arms....

As for a rocket, I haven't done an M2F1 but I have done an X-24...

It's interesting, the actual drop picture is an HL-10, it has three vertical stabs, and there are some scenes in an opening and one of the shows where he is shown in an HL-10, but the crash is the M2F1

Frank

WP_000539.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool! I must have watched that intro like...six million times! :wink: Still love it...seems the only time they showed him running fast too. lol! Even as a kid, I used to wonder why they would slo mo him to show him running fast when they could've just as easily sped him up. I felt that the slo-mo on the power parts looked good, but the running looked like an old person on a scooter could beat him. :)

The plane/spaceship that is shown in the intro was a real craft...the M2-F1 (here's a link...lots of ads though):
https://space.io9.com/nasa-and-the-six-million-dollar-man-1574799649
Would be cool to make that into a rocket as well!
That intro was cool. For the first few episodes they went to great lengths to get things as real looking as they could for the time. In the running scene--if memory serves me---they sped up the speed a bit but also shortened the distance between the fence posts in the foreground--a neat trick that worked really well. Also they had a scene where he was running--I think on a treadmill---anyway when he stopped, he was only sweating under one arm. I thought that was a cool touch, some one had their head in the game. -----------The rocket is very cool---I like the removable fins---very crafty !!!!----H

...and it's probably been mentioned before, but Bruce Peterson, pilot of the M2-F2 in the opening credit footage, survived the accident with a fractured skull, broken teeth and a broken hand and had his forehead scraped off. He ended up losing an eye due to an infection he'd acquired in the hospital.

Back