Most Difficult LPR Kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if your definition of LPR is anything under Level 1, the Sheri's Hot Rockets Shuttle is likely a good candidate here. :)

Chan Stevens had built hundreds of rockets, but he had a heckuva time with the Shuttle:
"Let's get this much out in front--this is a skill level 4 or 5 kit, not for the faint of heart or inexperienced modeler. I have over 400 rockets under my belt, mostly LPR, and this was much more difficult than I expected, and absolutely kicked my [fanny]. This is coming from a guy that's built several Saturns, including the Apogee V and 1b. It took much longer than I expected, and I wound up with a mediocre finish that I'm not especially proud of. If you plan on building one of these, be prepared to invest a considerable amount of time and set the expectations at a decent, not flawless finish. This is a very nice model, but not likely a museum piece without extraordinary finishing skills." - 3/24/08 Chan Stevens on RocketReviews (https://www.rocketreviews.com/sheris-hot-rockets-cjs-aviation-space-shuttle-162-by-chan-stevens.html)

I haven't seen Chan Stevens around in a while, not since he built the Decim8. He still posting his builds?

Hey Daddy, what is this kit and model of this one on the bottom? Looks very similar to the Mitsubishi H2-A I'm wanting to scratch build and that come and transition is what I need!
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1437935547.219582.jpg

Hey Daddy, what is this kit and model of this one on the bottom? Looks very similar to the Mitsubishi H2-A I'm wanting to scratch build and that come and transition is what I need!
View attachment 268481

That is the Noris Ariane. Usually in stock at Apogee components. Large peel and stick decals are not for the faint of heart. Launch in low wind conditions. The nozzles will eventually break off and get lost, good flying rocket on a C6 3 or 18mm composites. The generic German directions that came with the kit are a real hoot. This one does have a Fallschirmhaltenrung! Do NOT take the provided recovery wadding to a launch or even think of using it in the USA. Kinda expensive but money is no object with these kits. Some molded parts, some vacuform, I believe some kit provided nose weight from Apogee, Apogee tubes, paper fins. If ordered direct, or you get an old one off Ebay, the tubes may be thin and no predetermined nose weight provided.

Back