Thanks to Rocketry...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a blue plastic hard hat that I need once in a while for my job. I'm about to go to a new work site where they will require a white hard hat. Thanks to rocketry, I have the know-how and materials to paint my hat white and do a good job of it. (Yes, my employer would have paid for a new white hat, but I hate wasting money like that, even when it's not my money.)

Thanks to Rocketry, I know that some plastics react to the solvents in some paints and lose their strength. Maybe a new hard hat would be a good alternative.

Yea what Wayco says is true. Once you modify that hard had, it probably won't even meet ANSI standards. I know my employer wouldn't approve. Get a new one!

They gave me a new plastic hat at one place I worked. I hated it because it was so uncomfortable. I got my grandpa's old aluminum wide brim hat and painted it blue. The company let me wear it because it was better than the plastic ones and I had others in the plant offer me a hundred for it...I turned them down :)

Wear their helmet; companies can attempt to absolve themselves of liability should injury occur.

Polymers can (and typically do) degrade over time, depending on environmental conditions. And they'll do it in ways that are not visible to the naked eye...but ARE "visible" to a falling brick, or worse.

The nominal lifetime is 5 years, although it's probably longer if the hat is kept out of the sun. I believe ozone is also bad for plastic, so keeping it inside isn't the only solution. It's a bummer I had to replace mine, because I got no stickers anymore and the bright shiny white hat makes me look like a newbie. On the plus side, it has a full brim so it doesn't dump rainwater down the back of my collar quite as much.

A hard hat is cheap insurance, and not worth skimping on.

Thanks (in part) to rocketry, I lost a fiance.

Thanks to rocketry, I didn't gain an ex-wife.

I think you mean "fiancee," unless he was male.

I had to go and look that up... I never heard of the other spelling (with two "e"s)...

From Wikipedia:
Traditionally, the spelling fiancé is used for a man who is engaged, with fiancée being the female counterpart. (This is a reflection of the corresponding distinction in French.) However, this distinction is not reliably followed today.

She was very much a female. I still think about what could have been, but I know now (and suspected back then) that our relationship was doomed.

Last edited:
Still....

Ok... It's too late for this thread, but I'll note it for future use... However, the next time it might be more properly "spelled" as "未婚妻" which would make me the "未婚夫" and that would be quite a difference.

Back