last minute L3 kit questioning

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
I was moments from buying my Extreme Wildman for an L3 attempt, when I noticed the Interceptor AAD is on massive sale. Any reason not to use that for an L3 attempt? The fins are super long and the deployment might not be as straightforward.

The Extreme Wildman is probably more my style, and I should probably simply spend the extra money, but that price was so low I had to bring it up!

Cg issues with the AAD and heavier motors? I dunno, you should go with what you are comfortable with. I have a an EWM with a lengthened upper bay tube for a larger main chute and more forward cg and a version 1 of the Domnator 4 rocket.
I'm torn between the two. The Dominator is shorter, not enough room for the Starchute 82" I want to use and I used a thrustblock in the sustainer to support the ebay that doesn't have a switchband. Was going to use magnetic switches
but I have my reservation with them as might be too hard to mount. Going with two EggTimer Remote switches. I still don't like the idea of using a 62" Starchute with it. Sooooooo........ my Wildman is more amenable and has a standard switchband.
Decisions decisions....... Photo documented the builds with some videos and stills of epoxying the motor mount with the WM and all of the assemblies of both so now to get the paperwork for the chosen project and start the approval process. Kurt

Yes & No. Certainly L-3 material with small M's fin can is 33 in. and fin-stock is 1/8. Only can fit 4 grain M's. If that's all ya want to do...then there ya go.
Barebones kit. Only glass...no hardware/shockcord etc.

Extreme Wildman fincan is 52-54 [not sure one of them] and has 3/16 fins. Will handle the largest 75's M's out there no sweat. 6xl's plus.

You get what you pay for.
All Extremes come with shock cord both sides 9/16.....1 in Kevlar Strap Y-harness.....eyebolts....washers...rivets etc [hardware]

I got an extreme and knighted it my L3 kit. Nice, simple, done. Well not done yet, but it fits my building style and I won't be doing anything new. I'm not typically a play it safe type, Pushing things can be fun. But if I want to try new techniques, Dropping an M in really doesn't seem like the time for that, or cobbling together a rocket not really setup well for the flight.

Extreme's are a good, stable, proven platform. Why not go that way? Speaking of..... I need to start building mine up soon.

Great points, all. This is no place to shave costs. Extreme Wildman ordered and I could not be more excited!

I think the Extreme Wildman is an enconimical , but solid choice...

I think if you put diameter and estimated weight in thrustcurve.org., ALL the 75mm motors work.

Get your TAPs and their approval of the project before you start construction.

After you cert you can still blast it on some Pro75 2g motors like the L910 for just a few dollars more than a Pro54 4g K motor.

Kenny

Last edited:
Back