Screw switch DIY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n27sb

N27SB
Reaction score
This is how I make a tiny simple screw switch for my 24mm AV bay.
I'll give details if anyone is interested.

photo 2-7.JPGphoto 1-7.JPGphoto 3-4.JPG

As am I. Is the hole for the screw larger so it doesn't make contact until it is screwed down?
I need something like this for Fat Daddy.

Funny Steve, I was looking for one this morning and was about to buy a few until I saw this!

My girlfriend does stained glass. They use a copper foil with an adhesive that is designed to be soldered. I solder a brass nut on one side and drill holes through the board. Bring the wire you solder through from the other side and it helps lock things in place. Lots of ways to do this but the key is the glass workers foil. It sticks really well after you have heated with solder. BTW you have to use brass nuts.

Tim in I will put some in the mail for you.

I've made a few similar switches, but I used dual sided circuit boards. I only made the switch. Using the foil on a single glass board as part of the whole sled sounds like a really good idea!

That really looks well done...
A touch of thread locker on the screw threads
Will ensure it'll stay where you leave it, either up or screwed down..

Very well done...

Teddy

My girlfriend does stained glass. They use a copper foil with an adhesive that is designed to be soldered. I solder a brass nut on one side and drill holes through the board. Bring the wire you solder through from the other side and it helps lock things in place. Lots of ways to do this but the key is the glass workers foil. It sticks really well after you have heated with solder. BTW you have to use brass nuts.

Tim in I will put some in the mail for you.

Coolness!! Thanks for sharing. I think a run to HobLob/Micheal's is on my priority list again....

Man I stared at that thing for a long time but now I get it. Sheesh I'm getting slow. I have some copper foil I was going to toy with in making a surface mounted dipole antenna for a tracker but since I'm not doing carbon fiber, why bother?
Still have the foil so heck, with your idea Steve I can try switches. Thanks. Kurt

Man I stared at that thing for a long time but now I get it. Sheesh I'm getting slow. I have some copper foil I was going to toy with in making a surface mounted dipole antenna for a tracker but since I'm not doing carbon fiber, why bother?
Still have the foil so heck, with your idea Steve I can try switches. Thanks. Kurt

I could have done some better photos. It's really no different than the screw switches I have purchased in the past except I just incorporate it right into the G10 board that I am already using.
This saves weight and space plus I don't have to mount the switch.
The only nuts I had on hand were #4 but in the future I plan on #2 allen head. This allows for a tiny hole that doubles as one of the three vents.

photo 2-8.jpgphoto 3-5.jpgphoto 1-8.jpg

Completed 24mm AV bay with GPS and Altimeter. Note built in screw switch in photo 1

Latest posts

Back