Bell X-1 ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a thought about a fairly easy way to get a near scale looking X-1 that is nice and light using the Depron technique.

Some R/C guys scale up various paper models and construct them in 3mm Depron sheet to fly. They look pretty good, even though the fuse sections are conics and not true third order curved shapes.

An X-1 or other similar model would not be hard to do. Use a lightweight keel of 6mm Depron and a few light weight formers and with some careful construction, it would look good and fly well. The reduced drag of the full shape over a profile with tons of intersection drag would offset the small weight gain, I predict.

This one is at Fiddlers Green. Free paper models of the X-1 out there as well.

https://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/Aircraft/Bell-X1.html

I am totally stealing Georges water ballast tank setup for a couple of projects I have in mind....;)

I can't take the credit. I'm copying and pasting what I said long ago in another X-1 discussion:

I saw an ME-163 in R/C Modeler magazine in the early 1990’s. The one in the magazine used some sort of HPR motor, do not recall if it was H or I powered. One thing it featured was a balloon in the nose to hold water ballast to counteract the weight of the propellant in the tail, to maintain the right CG for control/glide. It was rigged with a plug that yanked out when it started to roll, letting the water flow out as the engine burned. I used something similar to that with my X-1 in 1997 and Orbital SkyDart “SkyBooster “, except I used a rigid tank and gravity-flow rather than a balloon.

Of course, too many things "never happened" before the InternetZ became popular. So the above ME-163 is lost to history as far at the internet goes, at least until or unless someone can dig up a copy of that issue of RCM and post some scans or something. I'd sure like to see it again, and who it was that did it.

- George Gassaway

I can't take the credit. I'm copying and pasting what I said long ago in another X-1 discussion:

I saw an ME-163 in R/C Modeler magazine in the early 1990’s. The one in the magazine used some sort of HPR motor, do not recall if it was H or I powered. One thing it featured was a balloon in the nose to hold water ballast to counteract the weight of the propellant in the tail, to maintain the right CG for control/glide. It was rigged with a plug that yanked out when it started to roll, letting the water flow out as the engine burned. I used something similar to that with my X-1 in 1997 and Orbital SkyDart “SkyBooster “, except I used a rigid tank and gravity-flow rather than a balloon.

Of course, too many things "never happened" before the InternetZ became popular. So the above ME-163 is lost to history as far at the internet goes, at least until or unless someone can dig up a copy of that issue of RCM and post some scans or something. I'd sure like to see it again, and who it was that did it.

- George Gassaway

The article entitled "ME-163b Komet" was written by Earl Aune and appeared in the January 1995 issue of RCM. The model is based on a semi-kit by Bob Holman. Earl used a H-45W plugged AeroTech motor. The G.G. was balanced 5.9" from the leading edge. Video is available from Hansen Scale Video, Video #23 and #25. The 7 oz of propellant is countered balanced by a 7 oz water balloon. I have the original magazine issue.

$20 + shipping can get you the entire 1995 collection:)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Radio-C...te-Year-of-1995-Issues-SEE-PICS-/290963542786

It says from Bob Holman plans. Under Dennis Bryant, MESSERSCHMIDTT Me 163 “COMET”
Span 61” Plan $30.00 + $8.00 postage USA
Plan shows all built up construction
Engine .45 - .60 cu. in.
Accessories: Fiberglass nose piece &
canopy$35.00
Epoxy glass fuselage, foam cores and the above
$175.95 Shipping at cost
New Laser Cut Part $100.00

I wonder if that's what Dave Schafer used as the basis for his...I think it was 60" span although he did not do any cg adjustment, just ran it nose heavy on glide if I remember.

$20 + shipping can get you the entire 1995 collection:)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Radio-C...te-Year-of-1995-Issues-SEE-PICS-/290963542786

It says from Bob Holman plans. Under Dennis Bryant, MESSERSCHMIDTT Me 163 “COMET”
Span 61” Plan $30.00 + $8.00 postage USA
Plan shows all built up construction
Engine .45 - .60 cu. in.
Accessories: Fiberglass nose piece &
canopy$35.00
Epoxy glass fuselage, foam cores and the above
$175.95 Shipping at cost
New Laser Cut Part $100.00

I wonder if that's what Dave Schafer used as the basis for his...I think it was 60" span although he did not do any cg adjustment, just ran it nose heavy on glide if I remember.

The Me-163 that Dave Schafer is flying on I motors is the ARF model that was originally sold by Fly Boy Models and is now sold by Hobby King. He always launches it at one of our large warbird meets.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...e_163B_Flying_Wing_Composite_1540mm_ARF_.html

Some other ARF distributor also has it in the Red scheme.

If I recall correctly, the Me-163 that was talked about in RCM many years ago was indeed the Bob Holman model.

I actually and recently saw the mold for the glass fuse for the Bob Holman model at a local fiberglass shop that I use for some work projects. They still make one for Bob Holman on rare occasions.

The article entitled "ME-163b Komet" was written by Earl Aune and appeared in the January 1995 issue of RCM. The model is based on a semi-kit by Bob Holman. Earl used a H-45W plugged AeroTech motor. The G.G. was balanced 5.9" from the leading edge. Video is available from Hansen Scale Video, Video #23 and #25. The 7 oz of propellant is countered balanced by a 7 oz water balloon. I have the original magazine issue.

Great, info, thanks for looking it up.

Would you or Frank mind scanning it and e-mailing it to me if you do not want to post it here?

- George Gassaway

Atlantic Rockets used to make an X1 kit. Apparently they stopped production long ago, briefly resumed production, and then stopped again.
I bought one and still have it unopened.
Maybe I'll build it one of these days...
AtlanticRocketsX1.jpg

Last edited:
Atlantic Rockets used to make an X1 kit. Apparently they stopped production long ago, briefly resumed production, and then stopped again.
I bought one and still have it unopened.
Maybe I'll build it one of these days...
View attachment 273725

Did you get that off Ebay last year? If so, you outbid me on Ebay, so good for you! I haven't seen one for sale since. :wink:

The X1 would be easy peasy to make as a silly airplane oddroc scratcher (no RC). Looks like a Duces wild nose cone hollowed out, a modicum of nose weight, some BT 70 tube, an Apogee plastic tail cone. some cheap squishy balsa and label paper. Put the tiny landing gear down, load in a peppy composite motor and let her rip. After some flight experience put in a longer delay for a few seconds more glide time.

Bob Parks once built and flew a RC Bell X-1 and entered it in a World Championships.

The X1 would be easy peasy to make as a silly airplane oddroc scratcher (no RC). Looks like a Duces wild nose cone hollowed out, a modicum of nose weight, some BT 70 tube, an Apogee plastic tail cone. some cheap squishy balsa and label paper. Put the tiny landing gear down, load in a peppy composite motor and let her rip. After some flight experience put in a longer delay for a few seconds more glide time.

Seeing your work, I think you could make a shoe fly. :wink:

Seeing your work, I think you could make a shoe fly. :wink:

Thanks. With the crutch of ample power and nose weight, coupled with plenty of highly questionable rocket science, almost anything can fly. Just look at that brick called the F1 Phantom. Just follow some very basic rules, Keep It Simple Stupid, have your project supervised by Highly Certified individuals and any scratcher X-1 should be fine. It is not like it is "real" rocket science.

Singing: Shoo fly don't bother me, I'm as busy as a bee.

Bring this one up to the olde tyme, retired military RSO and say you are "pushing the envelope." I think it is 50-50 he might get the wrong idea! Bucking for a Section 8 are you Corporal, well it is not going to work, here is you pad assignment.:wink:

stiletto.jpeg

Bob Parks once built and flew a RC Bell X-1 and entered it in a World Championships.
X-2 , 1978 WSMC :)

0jahcWv.jpg

BTW - The Atlantic Rockets X-1 did not glide. It popped the nose and used chute recovery.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that picture of Parky's X-2, George. I had heard about it and read a little about it in the book "The Fullness of Wings", but had never seen a picture of it until now.

His X-2 was uber cool for the late 1970s!

My first RC rocket glider (boost glider in this case) was a modified Larry Renger Skydancer built and flown in 1980.

Last edited:
X-2 , 1978 WSMC :)

0jahcWv.jpg

BTW - The Atlantic Rockets X-1 did not glide. It popped the nose and used chute recovery.

You ought to post that picture in the rocket glider area.

This has to be the first scale RC rocket glider, or at least the first significant one.

The father of all that followed.

Unfortunately I don't know what the glide CG was. The model crashed in 2000 and the whole rear fuselage burned up. I still have it but it is in storage where i do not have access to it (I THINK I did mark where the glide CG was). Its status is a "I hope to rebuild it someday" project.

The Boost CG was probably at least as far forward as 25% of the root chord, back from the leading edge, or more forward. I wanted it to be more nose-heavy on boost than it would be for glide, so there was more water in the nose tank than needed "just" to counterbalance the mass of the propellant burned off during boost. Also the water drain rate purposely took a few seconds more to completely empty than the burn time of the engine. I did that in part because during the boost itself, the acceleration loads would make it drain a bit quicker than during the ground testing. Although I had no really good way to fine-tune the flow rate, simply that tank volume and the diameter of the hose connections happened to work out to take about 11 seconds to drain, 3 seconds longer than the 8 second burn of the G12.

OTT beat me to it with the video above. Mac Hodges (Hodges Hobbies, Americus, GA) has (had) been flying that combination for years. Mac was the B-29 Pilot, I don't recall who the Bell X-1 Pilot was. After re-building the B-29 several times, and a scary crash a couple of years ago, they have decided not to re-build or fly it anymore. It may be worth trying to contact him for more info on the X-1 model though.

With the recent passing of Chuck Yeager somebody needs to re-visit building a LPR or MPR version of the X-1.

X-1A_Bell Revell 4565 32nd(128dpi)_96.jpg

With the recent passing of Chuck Yeager somebody needs to re-visit building a LPR or MPR version of the X-1.

YES!!! I last heard it should be easy, but I've been waiting for YEARS! 😁

Actually I'd like to build that Canadian Arrow bash one...had forgotten about it. I did visit the actual plane in the National Air and Space Museum...simply amazing.

Back