Possibly very interesting week for the DJIA and S&P coming up

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Well, the can-kicking to forstall the inevitable that has allowed the Greece situation to be kicked down the road for the past five years has finally hit a huge speed bump today. In those past five years, the PRIVATE banks and bond holders who knowingly loaned huge sums to the known bad credit risk called "Greece" because of the high returns they'd get, nearly identical to the reason behind our 2008 sub-prime debt problem and crash, have managed to dump that debt now that it's gone sour onto the backs of EU taxpayers, knowing they'd be able to get away with that from day one just as it was allowed here in 2008 and since then.

Now, unless the ECB can come up with more monetary shell games to kick the can down the road yet again, other countries whose economies are in bad shape, like Spain, Italy, and France will be among those countries liable for any Greek debt not paid, an additional burden which will only make their situations worse. The very few economic analysts in the mainstream media with IQs over 60 have realized that the game theory expert in the Greek government has knowingly and cleverly played on that fact with a delaying game to intentionally make the outstanding Greek debt even larger (with 90% of all of that debt-increasing debt "aid" going simply to pay Greece's creditors and NOT the Greek people) and therefore more systemically dangerous to the EU economy, thereby greatly increasing the likelihood of some debt forgiveness. Applicable quote: "If you owe the bank $100 that's your problem. If you owe the bank $100 million, that's the bank's problem." - J. Paul Getty

Trouble is, if Greece gets some debt forgiveness, all of the other countries with too much debt in the EU are going to want it, too, and will probably put the decision to refuse to go along with repayment agreements to a public referendum just as the Greeks just did. And so the EU/Euro dominoes may begin to fall. The ECB and, especially, Germany has known this all along, playing like they held all of the cards when, in fact, they didn't and most definitely do not. Back to that J. Paul Getty quote which too many in the mostly brain-dead mainstream financial media seemed to conveniently forget (those being the same idiots who were screaming "buy, buy, buy" right up to the 2008 crash).

Meanwhile, the Chinese are probably in the midst of an economic hard landing with a HUGE real estate bubble that's popping, a major internal debt problem, a stock market that's crashing 5-6% PER DAY, and a major export drop that'll only get worse when the EU's economy, then the world's, sinks even further. The China that helped dig the world out of the last bubble crash won't be there this time.

The other BRIC countries which also greatly helped the world to climb out from the depths of the last crash are also not doing at all well.

Additionally, nearly every central bank in the world has used up their recession fighting "ammo" in order to produce this artificial, unsustainable, economic "recovery" made possible only by the BORROWING of more trillions of dollars worldwide. They have few tools left for fighting the next crash from the new, even bigger bubble they've thus created.

The Fed has held interest rates at zero for an unprecedented seven years and the US economy is still at stall speed. Why? One reason is that we have reached debt saturation where there is little or no multiplicative effect from each additional dollar of debt accrued. In other words, whereas one dollar of new debt would have at one time generated, say, $1.50 worth of new economic activity, a current dollar of additional debt produces little or no additional economic activity beyond that dollar spent. That's the inevitable result of the law of exponents when corrective recessions are, via central bank monetary manipulation, not allowed to naturally run their course and through the resulting, absolutely essential Darwinian effect of bankruptcies wiping debt off the books to reset the debt growth curve to a more acceptable slope.

All it takes now is some unknown trigger event to get the whole set of dominoes falling as Lehman Brothers did in 2008. And since the trigger event doesn't have to be large (unstable systems don't take much to disrupt), Greece might be it.

Or not.

If I knew, I'd already be insanely rich.

Anyway, it might be a very interesting week in the equity markets (DJIA, S&P, etc.).

BTW, you can credit (har!) this mess to a near-religious adherence to a GARBAGE economic theory, the garbage models based upon it, and the garbage data fed into them (the economic data manipulated for political reasons) despite the same theory and models being proven time and again to be unable to even see let alone predict economic bubbles.

So, why the adherence to it? Because it tells both banks and governments what they WANT to hear - that you can PRINT and BORROW your way to prosperity. BTW, it doesn't matter what major political party is in power. This is NOT a partisan issue. They all hire and rehire the same clueless ivory tower types who caused the last crisis, the serial bubble/bust creators. And like both Greenspan and Bernanke, they always manage to retire just in the nick of time.

A short video on the garbage theory and its models being used to run the world:

[video=youtube;jIP7ES1lCGk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIP7ES1lCGk[/video]

and

[video=youtube;bjstqoRz6IE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjstqoRz6IE[/video]

Here are some of the things that kept the equity bubbles going today:

Central Banks Scramble to Rescue… Stocks, Not Greece (6 Jul 2015)

https://wolfstreet.com/2015/07/06/greece-votes-no-central-banks-try-to-rescue-stocks/

China Brokers Dust Off Wall Street Playbook From 1929 Crash (5 Jul 2015)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...off-wall-street-s-playbook-from-crash-of-1929

Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis Resigns After Referendum (6 Jul 2015)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/greek-...aroufakis-resigns-after-referendum-1436162284

Greece’s outspoken Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis resigned on Monday under pressure from his government and his country’s creditors, who identified him as an obstacle to productive talks about a new bailout deal.

Actually, he resigned because the game he's been playing, expertly playing the ECB like a violin, is over and he got the "no" vote in the referendum that he wanted. Now, because the EU central bankers absolutely hate his guts, he resigns to make possible debt forgiveness negotiations friendlier.

IMF "Ready To Assist" Greece, Lagarde Says (6 Jul 2015)

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-07-06/imf-ready-assist-greece-lagarde-says

More can kicking.

Greece is a mess. I do not think anybody should loan them any more money. They need to fix their internal issues. They need to figure out the concept of a balanced budget.

Frankly, I wish the United States would figure out balanced budgeting too. We are running something like a 40-45% deficit yearly- time to cut spending an equal amount to the deficit. Maybe other nations should stop loaning us money too. People need to live within their means, and so should Governments.

NYSE temporarily suspends trading of all securities
Wed Jul 8, 2015 11:56am EDT

https://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/08/us-interconti-exc-nyse-trading-idUSKCN0PI1ZF20150708

Intercontinental Exchange Inc's (ICE.N) NYSE Group, which includes the New York Stock Exchange, said on Tuesday it temporarily suspended trading in all of securities on its exchanges following earlier reports of technical difficulties.

A NYSE spokeswoman was not immediately available for comment.

China stock market freezing up as sell-off gathers pace
Jul 8, 2015, 12:01pm EDT

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-stocks-nosedive-despite-fresh-022752194.html

Chinese stock markets continue to nosedive as regulator warns of panic
Jul 8, 2015

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...continue-nosedive-as-regulator-warns-of-panic

Frankly, I wish the United States would figure out balanced budgeting too.
It's really not a matter of figuring it out, it's a matter of continuing to use a garbage economic theory to centrally plan the world's economies via monetary manipulation. It is the absolute ULTIMATE in economic central planning and we all know how the USSR turned out.

The Wall Street Journal's web page is now down. So is another financial site I go to daily.

See how fragile the world markets are? When there is any chance of a widespread revelation, no, a widespread admission that markets worldwide are all a "feel good" farce maintained only by monetary manipulations, the facade is removed very rapidly. This may be just a blip this time and yet another feel-good save will be made that raises the facade again, but this event goes to show what economic conditions truly exist behind that facade.

EDIT: An "advantage" of dictatorships:

From Bloomberg:

China’s securities regulator banned major shareholders, corporate executives and directors from selling any of their stakes for six months, the latest effort to stop a $3.5 trillion rout in the nation’s equity market.

Controlling shareholders and investors holding more than a 5 percent stake in a company will be prevented from cutting their holdings over that time period, the China Securities Regulatory Commission said in a statement.

Last edited:
Here's one of the garbage economy-related figures revealed as garbage via simple analysis:

What's the Real Unemployment Rate in the U.S.?
June 16, 2015

https://www.oftwominds.com/blogjune15/real-unemployment6-15.html

Conclusion:

Based on income, I set the fully employed rate at 60%, and the marginally employed/unemployed rate at 40%. If we accept the BLS's 121 million full-time jobs (which once again, this doesn't make sense given even minimum wage full-time jobs earn $14,500, and 50 million people report earnings of less than $15,000), we still get a marginally employed/unemployed rate of 25%: work force of 160 million, 121 million fully employed.

These numbers align much better with the real economy than the official unemployment rate of 5.6%. It's nonsense to count everyone earning a few hundred or few thousand dollars annually as being employed in the same category as full-time workers or those earning $15,000 or more annually.

Here's an explanation of other manipulated garbage economic figures that are plugged into the garbage econmic theory's models to give them... garbage squared results. All due to a long series of small changes in the way figures are computed, ALWAYS managing somehow to make the figures look better:

[video=youtube;kpNt2JdCcFA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpNt2JdCcFA[/video]

I heard this years ago and its still true today: if you laid all the economists in the world end to end, they still wouldn't reach a conclusion.

I heard this years ago and its still true today: if you laid all the economists in the world end to end, they still wouldn't reach a conclusion.
Yep, they can't do CONTROLLED experiments, their task is about as complex as predicting the weather, and they have VASTLY too few data points to plug into their grossly simplistic models based upon grossly simplistic theories. And yet with THIS they try to run the world, actually mostly during the past 30 years when the philosophy of central bankers went from mostly "hands off" on the economy and a very lite touch to mostly all-in "hands on."

Suddenly The “Experts” Are Dumbfounded
by Mark St.Cyr • July 7, 2015

https://markstcyr.com/2015/07/07/suddenly-the-experts-are-dumbfounded/

Over the course of the last few years one thing that has been prevalent more to my eye than nearly any other time I can recall is just how many so-called “experts” have lined up whether to be “next guest” on TV or radio. Or, they’ve taken to the pages of print, screens, or books to proclaim how their prognostications “were surely sound.” And as proof they were quick to point to the financial markets. The rationale? They must be correct in all their assumptions for – “Just look at these markets!” Well suddenly when one looks at these markets – it’s not for the reasons the “experts” wanted. Now it’s: “What in the world is going on in these markets!?”

As I write this, every market in-which one was told were trading at all time highs based on “fundamentals” isn’t just faltering. Some are in outright panic mode. China’s markets are in outright free fall. So far every attempt to stem the losses has been met with even more selling pressure. So much so, hundreds of some of their largest companies have been halted (i.e., can’t be sold) for fear of complete collapse. The PBoC as well as other proxies within their markets have pledged 10’s of BILLIONS of yuan (worth 10’s of billions U.S. for comparison) and it worked for less than 24 hours. So far the market losses are in the TRILLONS of share holder cumulative value. And as the market prepares to open once again, the fear is the worst is yet to come. Every market opening as of Monday has turned from “excitement” as the market went ever higher to – just a hold your breath and pray. Not in Years, and really, not even months – but weeks.

Greece has done the exact opposite of what all the “experts” said it would do. Now that other part of the equation that was supposedly “ring fenced in” or “priced in” seems to be anything but. Today alone the U.S. markets are showing just how vulnerable they are. Every so-called “dip” is once again being bought. However, not for the reasons of just a few months ago. Today, those dips are being bought purely out of what is known in the field as “headline risk.” This risk isn’t what it was a few years ago. Today, “headline risk” is fueled by the parasitic scourge of the markets now known as High Frequency Trading (HFT.) With these machines set to read any headline (good or bad) then launch their arsenal of front running, algorithmic stop hunt seek and destroy programs – you get a market as was shown today. A perfect headline of “Looks like we have a maybe!” and the swing from the lows to highs was so predictable it was laughable. (funny how we’re getting these as Europe’s markets close, then 30 minutes before ours do…no?)

This isn’t anything resembling “efficient markets.” This is what a pure adulterated markets look like. And it’s only the beginning in my estimation.

None of what is currently transpiring in the markets was supposed to be there. The so-called “smart crowd” said people like myself were “idiots” for questing their reasoning’s. I have only one question I guess: How’s all that “fundamental” “fairly priced” __________(fill in the blank) holding up when looking at the price action of just Monday and Tuesday?

I’ve had a few conversations over the last few days and some have been quite interesting. One of the main questions (because the topics discussed were being very highly debated as were the conversations a little heated) how was it that I have not only “stuck to my guns” as far as my premise (that premise being that most financial “experts” were full-of-it) in the face of so many telling me both privately and publicly that “I was wrong.” And it was pointed out to me (more than once) many of those “experts” are some of the biggest names in finance.

I had an answer, however the answer I gave was not as poetic as the one given by Richard Feynman that I have framed hanging in my office. I’ve pretty much made my career of doing what the so-called “experts” normally state “can’t be done.” By doing – exactly that. My career stands as my testament. However, for those who ever doubt themselves, or sometimes feel they shouldn’t voice their opinion on certain subjects when deep down they know they have a valid argument, but feel hindered to express it because someone else doing the “expressing” is considered a so-called “expert” therefore who are you to question them. I’ll leave you with Mr. Feynman’s quote on “Experts.”

“There are myths and pseudo-science all over the place. I might be quite wrong, maybe they do know all this… but I don’t think I’m wrong, you see I have the advantage of having found out how difficult it is to really know something. How careful you have to be about checking the experiments, how easy it is to make mistakes and fool yourself. I know what it means to know something. And therefore, I see how they get their information and I can’t believe that they know it. They haven’t done the work necessary. I have a great suspicion that they don’t know and that they’re intimidating people.” – Richard Feynman

(For those maybe not familiar with Dr. Feynman, just one of the historical points and contributions he’s made to science and physics, he was the man who diagnosed it was the O-rings that caused the Space Shuttle Challenger’s disaster.)

As I’ve stated so many times before, there are two types of “experts.” One who has done what they profess which gives them both the perspective, along with the ability, to express what they believe will help others. Or – like the many out there – who’ve only: read someone’s book, about what they read in someone else’s book, and now wrote a book, so that you can now buy their book – to read – what they’ve read.

The New York Times, citing floor trades, said new software to blame. The market outage has stretched to two hours. Official say a cyber-attack is not to blame.

"Trader on the floor of the exchange in lower Manhattan, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said that after the suspension began, traders were told that the problem was related to updated software that was rolled out before markets opened on Wednesday.

According to the trader, the exchange said that the new software caused problems soon after trading began on Wednesday and the exchange decided to shut down trading all together to fix the problem."

Great timing for a "software update," huh, with the Chinese and other Asian markets collapsing and the DJIA heading down?

Funny comment I found about the NYSE issues today - "Today, the NYSE computers became sentient. They computed actual stock valuations, got depressed and decided to shut themselves down."

What stopped the Chinese stock market plunge, for now? A compilation from multiple sources:

The best and briefest summary comes from China Southern Fund Management chief strategist Yang Delong, who said that the government efforts "hit the right spot." Well, yes, when you threaten to arrest sellers, it does tend to have a short-term effect.

Elsehwere in Asia, the Nikkei 225 closed +0.60% after tumbling 3.2% earlier in the day, as the Chinese "anti-selling measures" spread and "inspired' confidence, with the ASX 200 unchanged and weighed by materials as iron fell to a record low. Across the board equities did pull off worst levels as gains in Chinese stocks sparked an improvement in confidence, which also weighed on JGBs, with losses exacerbated by a weak 30-year JGB auction which drew the lowest b/c since 2004.

The Chinese gain promptly rippled through Europe as well, which now appears more focused on Asia than on Greece, and European shares rose most since July 1.

[Apparently] the so-called "contained" risks from Greek contagion are non-existent as despite the best efforts of The SNB (and ECB), European stocks and peripheral bonds have tumbled; and now Japanese investors have dumped over JPY 4 trillion foreign bonds in June - the most ever.

One can't help but wonder why, if Draghi's QE [the EU's QE] was successful, why are foreigners not piling into risk assets en masse... but instead selling the most ever as apparently Greece matters after all.

Margin calls and restrictions on selling in China will force Chinese wealth funds and other major players in that market to sell wherever they can around the world. The Greek tragedy playing out in Europe does not help. It may help Treasuries in the short run, but stocks remain extremely vulnerable.

China and the world will learn that it cannot insulate itself from its insane bubble promoting policies by forbidding selling. It’s a big world, and the big China players have access to it.

DEFINITION of 'Short Selling'

The sale of a security that is not owned by the seller, or that the seller has borrowed. Short selling is motivated by the belief that a security's price will decline, enabling it to be bought back at a lower price to make a profit. Short selling may be prompted by speculation, or by the desire to hedge the downside risk of a long position in the same security or a related one. Since the risk of loss on a short sale is theoretically infinite, short selling should only be used by experienced traders who are familiar with its risks.

Consider the following short-selling example. A trader believes that stock SS which is trading at $50 will decline in price, and therefore borrows 100 shares and sells them. The trader is now “short” 100 shares of SS since he has sold something that he did not own in the first place. The short sale was only made possible by borrowing the shares, which the owner may demand back at some point.

A week later, SS reports dismal financial results for the quarter, and the stock falls to $45. The trader decides to close the short position, and buys 100 shares of SS at $45 on the open market to replace the borrowed shares. The trader’s profit on the short sale – excluding commissions and interest on the margin account – is therefore $500.

Suppose the trader did not close out the short position at $45 but decided to leave it open to capitalize on a further price decline. Now, assume that a rival company swoops in to acquire SS because of its lower valuation, and announces a takeover offer for SS at $65 per share. If the trader decides to close the short position at $65, the loss on the short sale would amount to $15 per share or $1,500, since the shares were bought back at a significantly higher price.

When China's market started to have problems , before the news hit a months ago, along w/ Greece, market forecasters said US exchange would have no prob.
I tried to find one person that would say it would adversely affect US markets. None. US market are nothing but a foreign market today. There's nothing US about it.
Swear it sounded like propaganda as what China's been doing.
S&P- down 8% from yr high.
DJIA- down 11% from yr high.
Basically lost all gains for the yr.

Yea,, right.

The same bad advice before 2008.
I felt like chicken little 2006/2007 warning family/friends to move or else.

Almost any prediction will come true given enough time. ;)
But you will note the timing of mine. I haven't been saying it here since 2008.

EDIT: Plus, the skill is in knowing whom to listen to. Thus, my Mark Twain quote below. How obvious should it be that one shouldn't listen to the people who didn't predict the last two crashes and who were shouting, "Buy, buy, buy!" right up to the last crash. And many of those who have been spelling doom since 2008 are also Chicken Littles. One has to attain a deep understanding of what is actually going on because the mainstream financial media is 99% clueless.

Last edited:
Forget the Fake Statistics: China Is a Tinderbox
August 10, 2015
When China's tinderbox economy implodes, who will be left to bid up the world's surplus
commodities and real estate?

https://www.oftwominds.com/blogaug15/China-tinderbox8-15.html

China, the Hollow Dragon
August 17, 2015
In terms of profitability and trade-generated wealth, China is a hollow dragon.

https://www.oftwominds.com/blogaug15/hollow-dragon8-15.html

Understanding the "Exorbitant Privilege" of the U.S. Dollar
November 19, 2012

https://www.oftwominds.com/blognov12/triffin-USD11-12.html

Could the U.S. Become the Unrivaled Superpower Again?
January 29, 2015

https://www.oftwominds.com/blogjan15/superpower-US1-15.html

Absolutely, for fundamental currency exchange reasons that don't require the GARBAGE Keyenesian economic theory to see or to realize.

"The mystery is how a conception that is vulnerable to such obvious counterexamples survived for so long. I can explain it only by a weakness of the scholarly mind that I have often observed in myself. I call it theory-induced blindness: Once you have accepted a theory, it is extraordinarily difficult to notice its flaws. As the psychologist Daniel Gilbert has observed, disbelieving is hard work." -- Daniel Kahneman who shared the 2002 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences with Vernon L. Smith.

The nitty-gritty details on China from the guy responsible for the development of the Minsky computer code I linked to in a video above who also saw the 2008 crash coming from a mile away and warned of it:

Why China had to Crash, Part 1
26 Aug, 2015

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevekeen/2015/08/26/why-china-had-to-crash-part-1/

Intro:

"Engineers should find this argument easy to understand and informative, but tedious to read because the logic is so obvious. Economists are probably going to find it almost impossible to comprehend, clearly wrong, and they will probably be enraged by it.

So who should you trust if you’re neither? Firstly, think of how often you successfully trust engineers every time you operate a domestic appliance, hop in your car, drive over a bridge, or fly between continents. Then think how often you have unsuccessfully trusted economists (when I’m asked socially what I do for a living, I describe myself as an “anti-economist”— before I elaborate that I am a Professor of Economics but regard the dominant school of thought in economics as dangerously deluded).

Finally, work out which profession you’d rather trust if the two groups disagree—even when we’re talking just economics."

China Crash: You Can't Keep Accelerating Forever
24 Aug 2015

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevekeen/2015/08/24/china-crash-you-cant-keep-accelerating-forever/

Is This The Great Crash Of China?
Aug 19, 2015

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevekeen/2015/08/19/is-this-the-great-crash-of-china/

China’s Monumental Debt Trap—-Why It Will Rock The Global Economy
by David Stockman • February 5, 2015

https://davidstockmanscontracorner....ebt-trap-why-it-will-rock-the-global-economy/

The sell-off in commodities
Goodbye to all that
A decade of [China's] bingeing on raw materials may leave an even longer hangover
Aug 22nd 2015

https://www.economist.com/news/fina...erials-may-leave-even-longer-hangover-goodbye

Excerpt:

"The real curse for producers is over-supply in almost all raw materials. Yet they continue to act as if they are blithely unaware of it. Capital is still pouring into holes in the ground, creating a hangover that may last at least a decade. Jeff Currie of Goldman Sachs says past cycles suggest it can take up to 15 years to work through the over-investment. 'The world has just flip-flopped,' he says."

please-disperse.gif

ChinaRailFreight.jpg

ChinaIndustrialProduction.jpg

China-Containerized-Freight-Index-2015-05-01.png

spot-copper-5y-Large.gif

iron-ore.jpg

china-housing-index.png

Untitled.png

oil%20supply%20demand.jpg

The politicians, pundits and fortune tellers have been aware of the gathering storm for decades because they orchestrated it. The real purpose of the Jade Helm 15 training exercise may soon become apparent.

[video=youtube;Z-DSFrGnQrk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-DSFrGnQrk[/video]

BTW, the fellow with the pained expression on his face is my very own congressman, John Ratcliffe, R, 4th District, Texas, who replaced Ralph Hall before old Ralph room temperature. Beyonce looks HOT!

Last edited:
Oh...but what a Time to start buying a bit, especially oil!
I'm not a financial advisor (except to myself obviously), but the inflation adjusted trough after the 2008 crash would be a DJIA of 7375. I may step in earlier because a flight to the least-dirty-shirt-in-the-hamper US dollar and US equities could prevent such a deep trough this time around. A strong dollar will trigger (actually is triggering) massive problems in the Forex (FX - currency trading) markets due to emerging markets (EM) bubble borrowing in dollars. The classical "race to the bottom" in the currency devaluation wars (aka, "beggar thy neighbor") that NO ONE can win in the long run (EXCEPT the US dollar - see the link describing that above) has only just begun. The FX market dwarfs equities (stocks). PER DAY trading estimates comparison:

FX_Market_Size_body_Picture_2.png

The easy money policy of central banks in the EU and, especially, the Fed has in an attempt to pull us out of the last bubble/crash caused a worldwide commodity/production glut due to massive overbuilding/mining caused by that central bank flooding of the world with massive amounts of money (aka, debt) to spike us out of the last crash caused by massive overbuilding caused by flooding the world with massive amounts of money (aka, debt) thereby, yet again creating artificially high levels of demand (but even worse this time because it's global) that is now on a rapid downward slope due to world economies that have not actually been "fixed."

In other words, they tried to fix the last bubble/crash by applying even greater quantities of the same thing that CAUSED the last bubble/crash, like trying to "cure" alcoholism with alcohol. Alcohol may stop the DTs, but it doesn't actually permanently fix the underlying problem.

This is all due to their attempt to centrally plan the world's economy via degrees of financial manipulation never before seen in history, all based upon a proven again and again to be garbage (bubble/crash/oops didn't see that coming, bubble/crash/oops didn't see that coming, bubble/crash/oops didn't see that coming) economic theory that persists as dogma because it tells both banks and governments what they WANT to here: "You can borrow your way to prosperity."

The politicians, pundits and fortune tellers have been aware of the gathering storm for decades because they orchestrated it. The real purpose of the Jade Helm 15 training exercise may soon become apparent.
Please don't pollute this thread with conspiracy theory garbage.

Oops, forgot to include this HUGELY important bit of info. Talk about 'yer COLOSSAL malinvestment due to (too)easy money (aka, debt). Watch this, it's fascinating:

China's Ghost Cities

[video=youtube;trs_udhjWqc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trs_udhjWqc[/video]

China%E2%80%99s-Real-Estate-Bubble2.jpg

China%E2%80%99s-Real-Estate-Bubble.jpg

Please don't pollute this thread with conspiracy theory garbage.

Winston, I have nothing but respect for your broad knowledge of economics and their relationship to current events. However, I also know from first hand experience that the military is constantly training for various contingencies both foreign and domestic. While stationed at Ft. Hood, Texas in the spring of 1964, I participated in a training exercise held in Arizona/California called Desert Strike. Something like 50,000 troops and their equipment traveled from military bases in Texas to Arizona to practice desert warfare for a month. This was at a time when the U.S. was ramping up our jungle adventures in Vietnam.

Now you may think my posting about Jade Helm is "conspiracy theory garbage", but that training exercise is for real and it's purpose is to prepare for urban warfare in the United States in the event that it ever becomes necessary. If the information you posted results in an economic situation like that which has already occurred in Greece and China, things could get ugly in America in a hurry and it would make sense that our military would be called upon to restore order. There is nothing "political" in my post as this current crisis is the result of a bipartisan effort as you correctly pointed out.

Thank you for your very informative post.

Last edited:
...In other words, they tried to fix the last bubble/crash by applying even greater quantities of the same thing that CAUSED the last bubble/crash, like trying to "cure" alcoholism with alcohol. Alcohol may stop the DTs, but it doesn't actually permanently fix the underlying problem...

Tell me the difference between R's and D's again... (anyone?)

A massive culling is approaching...

Last edited:
The Dow rally yesterday was a perfect insight into how truly messed up is the world economic situation. The rally was for one reason alone that is, not surprisingly, getting zero mainstream financial media play so far:

Fed’s Dudley backs away from (a measly estimated 0.125% to 0.25%) September rate hike
Aug 26, 2015 12:20 p.m. ET

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/feds-dudley-backs-away-from-support-for-september-rate-hike-

"New York Fed President William Dudley, a pivotal member of Fed Chairwoman Janet Yellen’s inner circle, backed away Wednesday from supporting an interest-rate hike at the U.S. central bank’s September meeting.

The New York Fed President is a fairly dovish U.S. central banker. But more important, he is seen as reflecting Yellen’s views. Dudley said it was important not to overreact to the stock-market tumble and stressed his views could change again before the Fed meeting on Sept. 16-17."

Look at the time of that post, then compare it with the start time of the rally in the Dow. And yet not a single word so far anywhere in the mainstream financial media about that ONE statement being the SOLE reason for the rally in the Dow. No real explanation of the rally at all, actually. Instead, in a huge, bold font headline we find:

DJIA rockets 619 points
Dow, S&P enjoy biggest percentage gains in 4 years

The truth of the matter is that the Fed's ZIRP (Zero Interest Rate Policy) that was supposed to weaken the U.S. dollar via inflation (among other supposedly "curative" effects that haven't occurred) has actually strengthened it which makes all of that dollar-denominated debt converted to emerging market currencies during the massive Chinese commodities demand bubble more expensive to pay back in dollars.

These emerging market commodity producing economies are already experiencing very hard times because of the rapid drop in the previous artificially inflated commodity demand from China (and the world) and the resulting plumetting commodity prices. Increasing rates in September as the Fed had said it was planning to do would make things even worse for them by making those dollars even more "expensive" in relation to their domestic currencies (see below “Hot Money” Flees Latin America, Triggers Currency Bloodbath, Risk of Mega Debt Crisis). Australia is also feeling the China/world commodity demand downturn with a large mining company there just announcing yesterday that profits are down 88% over last year.

The Fed's catering to FOREIGN market problems which it is in a large part responsible for relieved the U.S. markets due to worry about worldwide crisis contagion from the VASTLY larger FX market and that led to the rally. Can't find anything in the mainstream financial media about that yet.

This large equity market reaction to ONE statement by ONE guy who says he's PROBABLY changed his mind about a PUNY 0.125% to 0.25% increase in the Fed Funds Rate after holding it at near zero for a historically unprecedented SEVEN YEARS should tell you absolutely, positively EVERYTHING you need to know about the REALITY of the world's economic situation and about inflated world equity "market" valuations.

Historically unprecedented period of Fed Funds Rate near zero (ZIRP):

https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/FEDFUNDS/

Unwinding The Mother Of All Carry Trades?
Mar 17, 2015

https://seekingalpha.com/article/3006246-unwinding-the-mother-of-all-carry-trades

The surging greenback is wreaking havoc on most emerging markets and might lead to a bigger crisis and deflation down the road. The dollar and other carry trades will ignite and likely exacerbate any crisis in the emerging markets.

The Looming Carry Trade Bust
Jan 06, 2015

https://realmoney.thestreet.com/articles/01/06/2015/looming-carry-trade-bust

If a carry trade rout were to occur, the logical markets that are hurt the most would be emerging market debt, equity, and currencies. Additionally, commodity prices would fall and put negative pressure on the debt and equity of firms most closely associated with them.

But the computer algorithms that do most of the stock trading these days (see "Making Sense Of The Sudden Market Plunge" below) didn't take the following nuance into account. Very bad. More centrally planned economic manipulation is pending to try to keep the game going, each move producing all kinds of unintended negative consequences while adding even more potential energy to the coiled spring of negative consequences:

“one of the catalysts for the EM (emerging markets) outflows is the looming Fed hike which, when taken together with the above, means that if the FOMC (Fed Open Market Committee) raises rates, they will almost surely accelerate the pressure on EM, triggering further FX reserve drawdowns (i.e. US Treasury (UST) dumping), resulting in substantial upward pressure on yields and prompting an immediate policy reversal and perhaps even QE4.

Now that China’s UST liquidation frenzy has reached a pace where it could no longer be swept under the rug and/or played down as inconsequential, and now that Bill Dudley has officially opened the door for “additional quantitative easing”, it would appear that the only way to prevent China and EM UST liquidation from, as Citi puts it, “choking off the US housing market,” and exerting a kind of forced tightening via the UST transmission channel, will be for the FOMC to usher in QE4."

And so the game continues...

Finally, about market rallies, six of the ten largest point gains in the history of the stock market occurred between September 2008 and March 2009 during one of the greatest market collapses in history, 5% to 11% rallies in just one day:

2008-10-13: +936.42
2008-10-28: +889.35
2008-11-13: +552.59
2009-03-23: +497.48
2008-11-21: +494.13
2008-09-30: +485.21

“Hot Money” Flees Latin America, Triggers Currency Bloodbath, Risk of Mega Debt Crisis
Aug 26, 2015

https://wolfstreet.com/2015/08/26/h...-currency-bloodbath-risk-of-mega-debt-crisis/

Making Sense Of The Sudden Market Plunge
Aug 21, 2015

https://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/94051/making-sense-sudden-market-plunge

Winston, I have nothing but respect for your broad knowledge of economics and their relationship to current events. However, I also know from first hand experience that the military is constantly training for various contingencies both foreign and domestic. While stationed at Ft. Hood, Texas in the spring of 1964, I participated in a training exercise held in Arizona/California called Desert Strike. Something like 50,000 troops and their equipment traveled from military bases in Texas to Arizona to practice desert warfare for a month. This was at a time when the U.S. was ramping up our jungle adventures in Vietnam.

Now you may think my posting about Jade Helm is "conspiracy theory garbage", but that training exercise is for real and it's purpose is to prepare for urban warfare in the United States in the event that it ever becomes necessary. If the information you posted results in an economic situation like that which has already occurred in Greece and China, things could get ugly in America in a hurry and it would make sense that our military would be called upon to restore order. There is nothing "political" in my post as this current crisis is the result of a bipartisan effort as you correctly pointed out.

Thank you for your very informative post.
I strongly suspect that the next crash will not be deep enough to produce civil unrest here. Because of many different factors vs. the 2008 crash as described in many of the above links and a bazillion others I have not posted here, the trough may not even be as deep as in 2008. There may even be be a slow, deep descent over YEARS which would be less traumatic in the short run, but more economically damaging overall. It's best for many reasons that the crash be quick. One major reason is that it provides a clear signal for investors to plow back into the market with gusto and lift us out of the doldrums after the absolutely essential Darwinian force in capitalism called "bankruptcy" is HOPEFULLY actually allowed to function this time around. I suspect they will be forced to allow it because this time there simply won't be enough capital to bail out concerns that deserve to fail in a capitalist system. Most of our current problems, actually the entire world's problems, come from three decades of not allowing that essential force to work! Without it, you have nothing more than crony (who you can bribe) "capitalism." As even Alan Greenspan has said, "If they're too big to fail, they're too big."

However, when it comes to civil unrest, China is another story altogether. They are in an incredibly HUGE debt bubble that makes the world's 2008 sub-prime related bubble look like absolutely NOTHING.

EDIT: China’s Spending on Internal Policing Outstrips Defense Budget
March 6, 2011

March 6 (Bloomberg) -- China spent more on its internal police force than on its armed forces in 2010, and plans to do the same this year, as the government deployed security forces around the country to control growing social unrest.

The surge in public security spending comes as so-called mass incidents, everything from strikes to riots and demonstrations, are on the rise. There were at least 180,000 such incidents in 2010, twice as many as in 2006, Sun Liping, a professor of sociology at Beijing’s Tsinghua University, said in a Feb. 25 article in the Economic Observer.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...police-force-in-2010-outstrips-defense-budget

Why China is so worried about labour unrest
The blunt tools China used to stimulate its economy in 2008/09 are no longer available as its economy slows again
June 10, 2015

https://www.macleans.ca/economy/economicanalysis/why-china-is-so-worried-about-labour-unrest/

Last edited:
Back