Any South Dakota folks in here?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHaase

Reaction score
The distance to clubs in neighboring states is turning into a logistical issue for me. I still intend on making it to some TSM launches at some point, but that's about 4+ hours each way for me to drive.
I'd love to get something going in the Sioux Falls / Brookings area. There's got to be some rocketry folks around. I mean, Sioux Falls did send a TARC team to DC a few years in a row now.
Flyers at the only hobby shop in the area with a rocket selection have so far provided zero responses.

Any 'East River' people on here at all, other than myself?

-Hans

Got one e-mail from a local guy that saw my flyer in a hobby shop.
Anybody on the forum at all?

Only need 1 more NAR member to get a section.

Try reaching out to local High Schools to see if any of them have clubs or if any of the science teachers are interested...you'll likely get a good lead there and may help spread the love of the hobby. Sometimes the parents get involved and become members as well. :)

Oh goodie. NAR provided me with a list of e-mail's in the state (not many, mind you, under 10), and my e-mail program goes bonkers. I hopefully only e-mailed them all once, but I may have just sent them a 'welcome' message like 6 times in 10 minutes. That'll go over well.

-Hans

Oh goodie. NAR provided me with a list of e-mail's in the state (not many, mind you, under 10), and my e-mail program goes bonkers. I hopefully only e-mailed them all once, but I may have just sent them a 'welcome' message like 6 times in 10 minutes. That'll go over well.

-Hans

You mean an association just provided you with the email addresses of 10 of its members? Unless members specifically agree to this kind of information sharing on signing up, I would think this is pretty irresponsible, no? Maybe I am too uptight about security... 😕

The NAR does have a designed program for this; they won't just send you the entire membership roster.

Good News! It looks like we have enough local members who are interested in kicking something off. Not just that, but also enough of us with High Power certifications to offer cert flights as well.
Even better, a potential motor vendor who's interested in making the launches when we start.

Time to cross my fingers and get into some actual work at this.

-Hans

First meeting was today for the "South Dakota Rocket Jockey's". Not a huge turnout, there were only 3 of us, but it's enough to form a NAR section.
2015 may not have much action, but 2016 is shaping up to be a good year for us.

Just got my paperwork in the mail, we're now NAR Section 785.

Sweeeeeet

Should be some awesome places to fly out there. Lots of wide open space.

Congrats on the club! I don't live there, but I've been to Hecla many times for pheasant hunts and always wanted to launch some big high altitude rocket with all that open space!

Latest posts

Back