Criterion - Biggest Rocket Record

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feckless Counsel

Petitio principii
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
TRF,

What is the judging criterion for world record “biggest” model or hobby rocket? Is this category recognized by any official records committee such as The Guinness Committee?

Regardless of flight performance it seems to me the best criterion would be:

Size = (Total volume enclosed x total installed impulse) / 1,000,000

I like that criterion because it combines the two prevailing notions of “biggest”, physical size and power.

By that criterion and using rough numbers:

1/ 10 Saturn V = (3,770 m^3) * (181,000 N-s) / 1,000,000 = 19.3

1:1 V-2 = (12,720 m^3) * (30,794 N-s) / 1,000,000 = 11.1

A theoretical 3-foot diameter by 36-foot rocket flying a 100% Q-motor would score:

(9.6 m^3) * (164,000 N-s) / 1,000,000 = 1.6

Last edited:
Interesting metric. There was a lot of discussion about this surrounding the V-2. I'm inclined not to have one 'winner'. It would be cool to capture the specs of, say the top 10 contenders. Rate them for biggest volume, biggest single motor, most installed impulse, as well as whatever other metrics people are interested in.

Mr. Stafford,

My purpose is not to disparage the spectacular achievements of others, especially the Australian team. But clearly there is interest towards the claim of world record and the biggest. That is a single title. For there to be competition in that title there must be an objective criterion.

I understand you do not directly support the single superlative. Otherwise, for those who would dare compete, how should this community reckon the present title and set stage for entrants.

Feckless Counsel

Feckless, I realize you weren't raining on anyone's parade. However, I would say good luck in getting any sort of consensus on this. At least in our community. That's based on the discussions that I saw. I just like ogling all these huge rockets :dark:

Mikec,

Thanks for your finding. I agree that appears to based on length coupled to a basic assumption in scale. But I think we would all hold noses when a 12-inch by 42-foot fiberglass javelin makes claim to the title. Of course we still want to see that. But the biggest?

I understand your point about arbitrary criterion. But, for there to be a true record, there must be a criterion. Otherwise there are just some really big rockets and their fans, an awesome thing.

If it were your decision how would you make criterion?

Feckless Counsel

Mr. Stafford,

Thank you for your comment. I have the utmost respect for Team Australia and I just wanted to be clear on that point.

Is your meaning there can be no world record model rocket because the community of rocketeers cannot agree a criteria? Sort of like the difference between the football team and the band? In the band everyone is a winner.

Feckless Counsel

Mr. Stafford,

I hope the brevity of your response isn’t irritation. Had you replied more like the band I would have applauded that. There is merit in saying we celebrate every achievement big and small, record or not. Indeed this forum embodies that sentiment from beginner to scratch built to experimental propellant.

Still we have a problem? What is the criteria and who arbitrates a world record? Have you any ideas?

Feckless Counsel

"Big" as a term is ambiguous. The biggest rocket of course is the rocket with the largest size.

Jderimig,

Thank you for your comment. May I respectfully say you have offered no insight to this question exactly according to Mr. Stafford’s point. Big is the biggest as you say. But that comment is absent any critical effort. If it were your responsibility to decide the criteria what would that be?

Feckless Counsel

Mine%2BIs%2BBigger%2BThan%2BYours.gif

Jderimig,

Thank you for your comment. May I respectfully say you have offered no insight to this question exactly according to Mr. Stafford’s point. Big is the biggest as you say. But that comment is absent any critical effort. If it were your responsibility to decide the criteria what would that be?

Feckless Counsel

No biggest is not defined. Size is. When you go to a launch, generally there is no disagreement on who the biggest or largest rocketeer is. Likewise there should no disagreement on what the biggest rocket is.

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

Excellent insight as to the boundaries of this hobby. May I please thank you all for your insight and consideration in these matters. In every respect I would have expected nothing more from this forum. You gentlemen are the Sheppard’s of Inspiration to this hobby. In that I am refreshed.

Thanks again,

Feckless Counsel

Latest posts

Back