Common Sense Fireworks Safety?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
This Video is kinda' funny. It's hard to immagine that people can be so stupid, but apparently they are so someone had to make this PSA.
Sparklers are hot. Duh.:facepalm:

[video=youtube;hZ_G2xvt6qk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=106&v=hZ_G2xvt6qk[/video]

"Don't try this at home...we're what you call professionals."

Those poor crash test dummies and watermelons. Who speaks for them?? Who I ask you???!

This Video is kinda' funny. It's hard to immagine that people can be so stupid, but apparently they are so someone had to make this PSA.

Sadly, there are indeed people so stupid:

https://www.naplesnews.com/news/national/police-man-shoots-off-firework-from-top-of-his-head-dies

Police: Man shoots off firework from top of his head, dies

CALAIS, Maine (AP) — A young man who was drinking and celebrating the Fourth of July tried to launch a firework off the top of his head, fatally injuring himself, authorities said Sunday.

Devon Staples and his friends had been drinking and setting off fireworks Saturday night in the backyard of a friend's home in the small eastern Maine city of Calais, said Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety. Staples, 22, of Calais, placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set it off, he said.

The firework exploded, killing Staples instantly, McCausland said.

His death is the first fireworks fatality in Maine since the state legalized fireworks on Jan. 1, 2012, authorities said.

Calais is on the Canadian border near New Brunswick.

State fire marshals were also investigating several other Fourth of July fireworks accidents involving injuries in Friendship, Jefferson, Lebanon and Woodstock. They said most of the accidents involved burns and eye injuries. McCausland said further details were expected to be released later Sunday.

In 2011, lawmakers voted to repeal a 1949 law banning fireworks, reasoning the industry would create jobs and generate additional revenue.

Last edited:
Sure we all laugh at this video, but let me tell you, it's no laughing matter!

One time I tied a string around my head, and my friend used that string to guide a bottle rocket straight into my eye! My eye exploded like a broken egg! It was terrible!

And then another time, I was leaning directly over an aerial mortart round, and it blew my styrofoam head clean off! I was left with just a burning stump of a neck!

And then another time my friend had a 2,000-degree hot burning sparkler and stuck it up against my shirt, and I just stood there until my clothes caught fire! Ouch! Fortunately were were both wearing sun visors, so we didn't get sunburns, but it didn't help much against the burning clothes... Looking back on that, I should have backed up and said, "Stop trying to light my on fire, you dummy!"

A surprisingly large number of people try to launch bottle rockets from their butts.

i know something is seriously wrong with me. That just looked like hella fun. Shoot- I'd a paid THEM to let me do this. Of course, I'd have to build (edit)

(Boss just walked in)

That right kiddies! No fireworks are ever fun! Do you want to die from a sparkler? Or have to tell your brother his neck is on fire except he can't hear you now? Would you promise not to call your Dad "Cyclops" to his back? Noooo, we can't have that. The Patented Fyrwrxz Colouring Book provides hours of entertaining and special effects drawings of all YOUR favourite fireworks you can fill in while making the noises with your mouth. You can choose your owns colours and whatever sound YOU want them to make. Tear out a page and give to your Mom for 4th of July-she'll be soo happy you are 'safe and sane' this year. Pet friendly too! Birds love the exotic carpet patterns on their cage floor! Only $29.95 post paid.

I'm sorry, but I can not watch that video and laugh.
As an EMT, I have seen the damages that fireworks can do.

Here are the injury results from the last two nights of fireworks here on Washington's long Beach Peninsula:
Firework to the head. Transported to ER and Life Flighted.
Hand injury. Transport to ER and Life Flighted.
Eye injury. Transported to ER.
Foot injury. Transported to ER.
Firework fight, assult from the firework fight, trauma and CPR performed. Transport to ER and Life Flighted. Fatality.

These are the only reported 911 responses that required EMS and were transported by EMS. Dispatch had to prioritize EMS and Law responses do to the volumn of calls.
There were numerous minor injuries and property damage that are not reported to 911. Also, not reported are the assults and verbal confrontations over the unsafe discharging of fireworks. We also had one car fire that was results of fireworks.

The video is a very good public information video on firework dangers, but we shouldn't laugh at it.

What's funny about the video is not the message, which is serious. It's the kind of cheesy way it's produced. I got a chuckle out of it.

[video=youtube;hZ_G2xvt6qk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=106&v=hZ_G2xvt6qk[/video]
In the many years I was a member of the Pyrotechnic Guild International, I attended many of the wonderful annual conventions. At every one of those, regardless of the state laws in the state where the convention was being held, PGI members attending the convention were legally allowed to buy and shoot in a large designated area under safety monitor (PGI member volunteers) supervision entire circus tent quantities of every type of consumer fireworks available. The PGI has a modern, well equipped ambulance and member paramedics and MDs to voluntarily man it. Never a single fireworks incident until at one convention, we I heard the siren of the ambulance and thought, "Uh-oh..."

Heart attack.

My point is that with knowledgeable, safety conscious individuals, even the largest consumer firework items can be safely shot. As always, it's the clueless and the morons who'll spoil it for everyone.

I've always wondered why someone doesn't make a FORTUNE by operating the same sort of strictly supervised fireworks sales/shoot operations with state permission even in states where the sale and use of fireworks by the general public is illegal. There would be strict supervision - play around in any way and you are instantly kicked off the site and your remaining fireworks confiscated. This would be made clear before entry onto the site. Site entrance and departure would be closely monitored so no fireworks leave the site - purses would be searched on departure and those entering would be made aware of that; no containers of any other kind would be allowed; no one believed to be under the influence of any drug (especially alcohol) would be allowed - yes, small amounts could leave in pockets, but illegally obtained fireworks always show up in states where they're banned anyway. A liability waiver would be required to be signed and anyone under 18 would need to be be accompanied by a parent or guardian and that waiver would include a statement that the person signing it and those they were supervising were not under the influence of any drug.

I encourage rocketeers especially to join the PGI for at least one year, especially if their convention is going to be in your area, keeping in mind that you can't just pay to join at the last minute prior to the convention. You'll get a great newsletter with amateur fireworks manufacturing articles (be legal if doing that!), the convention attendees include major fireworks manufacturers who fire displays intended to sell their wares to the pros in the PGI, the nightly displays are excellent especially the opening and closing ones where you might see things like custom made 24" and 36" shells fired, and during the amateur fireworks competitions you'll see things you'll very rarely if ever see at US displays like lampares (salutes with added liquid fuels) and girandolas. The daytime hours of the week-long convention is filled with amateur fireworks making seminars, firework related collectors markets, BATFE public meetings, and other fireworks relevant stuff.

In a closing display, I once saw several shells that burst into HUGE internally lit, perfectly formed oriental lanterns that then hovered like hot air balloons (it was absolutely amazing). Another closing night display used microcontroller fused and timed shells exclusively (like at the Disney displays) that were computer shot in perfect time with music that was being broadcast over a local FM station for the event. BTW, non-members are allowed to attend the closing display and are provided with very large areas to park and watch, but are kept separate from PGI members and at a greater distance from the display.

https://www.pgi.org/

header_logo.png

I've always wondered why someone doesn't make a FORTUNE by operating the same sort of strictly supervised fireworks sales/shoot operations with state permission even in states where the sale and use of fireworks by the general public is illegal. There would be strict supervision - play around in any way and you are instantly kicked off the site and your remaining fireworks confiscated. This would be made clear before entry onto the site. Site entrance and departure would be closely monitored so no fireworks leave the site - purses would be searched on departure and those entering would be made aware of that; no containers of any other kind would be allowed; no one believed to be under the influence of any drug (especially alcohol) would be allowed - yes, small amounts could leave in pockets, but illegally obtained fireworks always show up in states where they're banned anyway. A liability waiver would be required to be signed and anyone under 18 would need to be be accompanied by a parent or guardian and that waiver would include a statement that the person signing it and those they were supervising were not under the influence of any drug.

I was just up at the Laramie County shoot just south of Cheyenne Wyoming. All the vendors up there on the State Line have a shoot. The stores were packed, lines out the doors. All the buyers were Coloradan's laying out big bucks and who wished they could live in a State as Wonderful as Wyoming! Being in the middle of 25 box stations all letting go Class C fireworks at once is awesome, better than any commercial show and it just keeps going on an on and on. We left at midnight and they say it goes to 2 AM. Going on for eight years now and from what I heard no serious injuries.

Back