Remove cat before launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reinhard

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Don't forget to check your vehicles for unintentional violations of the safety code.

[video=youtube;J_8mdH20qTQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=35&v=J_8mdH20qTQ[/video]

Reinhard

Last edited:
Interesting that the camera was set up facing to the right as if they knew it was going to happen.
Either way, as someone who loves animals, I'm just glad it ended well.

Good thing they didn't try to grab the cat in mid-flight because it probably would have freaked and made a run for it (as it finally did when it landed).

By leaving it alone they allowed it to hold onto the wing for dear life which was the best thing it could have done anyway.

I saw this vid a few weeks ago, without knowing any clue about the cat (the link I clicked, by George Rachor IIRC, hinted at a reason for an emergency landing shortly after takeoff). So it was quite a shock to see the cat crawling into view. At first I thought it was special effects.

The camera view, seems like it was set up to show the passenger and the side they would be looking out from. So I do not think it was rigged, just that there was a 50% chance the camera was looking the correct way when a cat that had crawled inside the wing managed to crawl back.

I just watched that video for the first time today, 04 July 2015.

If THAT VIDEO had NOT had a HAPPY ENDING, well, F*** MY JULY 4TH....

{Yes, I'm a CAT PERSON. 'Nuff said....}

VERY few people on TRF would be cruel enough to post such a video if it had been a tragic ending. Can't say no people on TRF would, unfortunately (though one seems notably absent of late, possibly banned again).

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
I have always believed cats can survive a very long fall anyway, I was told they can take a terminal velocity landing so long as they are orientated feet down and the most dangerous fall for a cat was a short one as it may not get itself orientated with its feet down quick enough. I am a cats person by the way and have a little experience with this. One of my cats called Kipper took a skydive from the top of a four story building and survived perfectly fine (a similar fall would be almost certainly fatal or at the least life altering for a human), on the other hand 'Lucky' managed to jump from a second floor window, land on a sun parasol which fell over and the cat took a dive onto her side (not enough height to get her feet down) and was seriously injured as a result from a relatively low height fall - probably less than 5' high.

For all that I am gald that puss in microlight didn't decide to jump for it - I think it was a flight for the passenger hence the camera being angled for her much like me in a Rally car a few years ago (had a mad run with a pro rally driver round a course).

The cat in that video looked suitably unworried I thought - whenever my cats have had an 'accident' like running into a closed door they always have a wonderful way of walking away as if to say 'yeah - well I was just testing the hardness of the door/glass is all - it wasn't an accident you know just a routine test'

The genuine look of shock on the pilot's face leads me to believe that if it WAS planned, he sure as hell wasn't in on it! VERY funny!

I have always believed cats can survive a very long fall anyway, I was told they can take a terminal velocity landing so long as they are orientated feet down and the most dangerous fall for a cat was a short one as it may not get itself orientated with its feet down quick enough. I am a cats person by the way and have a little experience with this. One of my cats called Kipper took a skydive from the top of a four story building and survived perfectly fine (a similar fall would be almost certainly fatal or at the least life altering for a human), on the other hand 'Lucky' managed to jump from a second floor window, land on a sun parasol which fell over and the cat took a dive onto her side (not enough height to get her feet down) and was seriously injured as a result from a relatively low height fall - probably less than 5' high.

For all that I am gald that puss in microlight didn't decide to jump for it - I think it was a flight for the passenger hence the camera being angled for her much like me in a Rally car a few years ago (had a mad run with a pro rally driver round a course).

The cat in that video looked suitably unworried I thought - whenever my cats have had an 'accident' like running into a closed door they always have a wonderful way of walking away as if to say 'yeah - well I was just testing the hardness of the door/glass is all - it wasn't an accident you know just a routine test'

Not true. My cousin had a Cat in an apartment on like the 30 something story in Rhode Island, and the cat got onto the porch and jumped right off and died.

Cats can fall incredible distances and live. I remember reading an article a few years ago that did a statistical analysis of cats that had fallen from high places. At relatively low heights, like a one-story roof, the cat almost always is uninjured and survives. The cat stretches downward with its feet and legs and arches its back, and its body is like a spring that absorbs the shock.

At higher and higher heights, the cat is more likely to be injured or killed in the fall, up to its maximum mortality, which is the hieght when the cat will reach terminal velocity for that spring-like posture. After that, for higher falls, something weird happens, and the rate of injuries and death start dropping again. That's because the cat abandons the spring-like posture and instead spreads out in a flying squirrel posture.

Seriously!

That slows the cat down. Terminal velocity for the flying squirrel posture is lower than the spring posture so the cat doesn't hit the ground as hard. Up above a certain height, the rate of deaths and injuries levels off, so the likelihood of surviving say a 100-story fall is the same as 200 stories or 1,000 stories, and it's actually better than the maximum mortality that happens at a lower height. Cats have fallen from more than 100 stories and lived to tell the "tail".

If a cat falls from 100 stories, and you are on the 50th floor, this what it sounds like:

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW... Thump!

If a cat falls from 100 stories, and you are on the 50th floor, this what it sounds like:

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW... Thump!

Holy Doppler shift, Batman!

I'm always interested in stuff like this, from an evolutionary point of view. I can see how the "when falling, assume spring position" would come to be, since I can see felines through the ages, being good climbers, needing this skill to maximize fitness.

It's harder for me to figure out where the flying squirrel programming came from, and more to the point, the ability to switch from one behavior to the other in a rational way. It's not like falls from cliffs would be a common thing to form the basis for a "survival of the fittest" selection. One day I'll have to look into this more... probably there is a reasonable explanation out there.

Marc

Back