Toothless Alligator Clips

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You all know the these, they come on all LP controllers.
Estes use to sell these.
Does anyone know where I can buy a bulk of 20 or so cheap?
I build a 5 rod launch pad years ago, but it got left behind in the move.
I need to make a new one, but I am having a hard time finding the clips.
Radio Shack has all but is gone around here, so no luck there.
The big box stores look at me like I'm an Alien when I ask...
Tried to search online, most sites want to quote you.
I just want a GD bag of clips so I can get on with this.
I'm spending too much time searching and too less time making it.
HELP, Please!
J

FWIW, the NAR sells stainless, smooth-jaw clips for $1.20 ea here: https://blastzone.org/nar/narts/store.asp?groupid=81620092133327

Mark

Ditto Mark!
I and My club have been using These 1-1/8" smooth Jaw Stainless steel test clips for over 13year now. They outlast Copper, Chrome or Tin plated steel micro clips by a factor of 10. Since switching over all of our club Launchers(100+ clips) leads to these Stainless steel clips I haven't had to do a yearly micro clip change-over period. Every so often I'll have to repair a lead where the wire has been burned off or broken but generally can save and reuse the clip...when was the last time you were able to reuse a micro clip? I think over the last 5 years I've had less then 6 suffer broken internal springs, and yes the spring is 304 Stainless also.
We fly monthly with several hundred models flown each month Plus many outreach programs that double or so those number flights.
Your not making anyone rich by buying Stainless Steel micro clips your Saving yourself a lot of money over time.
The are well Worth $1.20 each.....don't be penny wise and pound foolish:)

If you don't like that price I can give you the name of the only US manufacture making these Stainless Test clips but they have a 100piece minimum order at around 1.05 each including tax;)

Micro Clips-a_3-Chrome-Stl,Cu & St-Stl(128dpi) _08-06.jpg

Soldering StainlessSteelClips(Pictorial)-b_09-07-12.jpg

Last edited:
You all know the these, they come on all LP controllers.
Estes use to sell these.
Does anyone know where I can buy a bulk of 20 or so cheap?
Radio Shack has all but is gone around here, so no luck there.
J

30 years ago - the 1985 Estes catalog had micro clips listed at 0.95 cents for a pair.

Radio Shack still sells the plain copper ones and lists the price at $2.99 for a bag of 10. That's an incredible low price if you can find them - they are out of stock online. You might try calling Clare Hobby Electronics (a Radio Shack store) to see if they have any in stock (989) 386-2012 I think they are about an hour drive from you Woody.

Otherwise - the link above from Newark @ .041 cents each is about the best price you are going to find... and yes shipping adds about $5 or $6.

Radio Shack sold copper coated steel micro clips, not solid copper.
The copper coating would wear off quickly and the low quality steel would then rust.

34C solid copper clips are good and can be soldered with normal everyday solder.

Stainless steel clips will last forever. Buy them from NARTS. If you don't want to buy the special liquid flux for stainless steel (from a specialty welding shop), you can use a drop of pool acid with regular rosin core solder.

30 years ago - the 1985 Estes catalog had micro clips listed at 0.95 cents for a pair.

Radio Shack still sells the plain copper ones and lists the price at $2.99 for a bag of 10. That's an incredible low price if you can find them - they are out of stock online. You might try calling Clare Hobby Electronics (a Radio Shack store) to see if they have any in stock (989) 386-2012 I think they are about an hour drive from you Woody.

Otherwise - the link above from Newark @ .041 cents each is about the best price you are going to find... and yes shipping adds about $5 or $6.

go to feebay and search "mueller bu-34" and you will find 10 for $4.99 plus a couple bucks shipping.

I read somewhere that you could try paperclips as a substitute for clips. Wrap the wire to the paperclip and then "clip" the igniter.

Back