HOMEMADE EXPERIMENT

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I leave this thread open

• Yes, I want to hear of your progress(or failures)

• No, I think Your a nuisance to the rocketing comunity

Results are only viewable after voting.
hmmm, Hampton roads,VA.

This sounds like the guy who got us kicked off our field in central VA. an "ex NASA" "engineer" wanted to launch a "special project".

Plus out of 5 years of flying ive never seen/heard of you. and I know a helluva lotta rocketeers in VA/MD/NC

Ben

I am soooo glad the Atlantic Ocean is the margin of safety between me and you!

Have you thought of starting small and working up? Picnic tables don't fly very well either and are much safer.

Cameron/Clegg Out

Hopefully not replying to a troll, but here's some real advice.

You have to do this one step at a time.

Design and build a full scale motor. Test fire it and get pressure and thrust data with video.

Then, we'll talk design of the flight vehicle.

If this is a time sensitive project consider contacting flyers who have actually done these types of projects. Probably only 0.01% of L3 certified flyers could pull it off.

Mike Fisher
Binder Design

the guys in the Hampton Roads area that are serious about this hobby have a hard enough time keeping our launch sites without this kind of bad publicity. why not build a nice rocket and go for altitude or something like that make a serious attempt rather than making our hobby a joke.

This. Is. The. Best. Thread. In. TRF. History.

jsderimig for President.

Sure, I love the Talon thread (and maybe I'm biased) but this has given me more :y: and :roll: moments than anything.

I say you fly it. Check your minimum safe distance tables and pentuple them. Then build a concrete and rebar bunker. Then light those bad boys and watch it go.

Before you do it, be sure to let us know how many and what kind of motors you use, what recovery systems will be employed and what ignition method(s) you'll use. That will give us a chance to start a pool on how many of the motors will actually light, how many of the lit motors will CATO and whether any form of recovery device would actually deploy.

This portapotty could become the best (quasi-)rocketry drinking game EVER.

Keep the thread going!

hmmm, Hampton roads,VA.

This sounds like the guy who got us kicked off our field in central VA. an "ex NASA" "engineer" wanted to launch a "special project".

Plus out of 5 years of flying ive never seen/heard of you. and I know a helluva lotta rocketeers in VA/MD/NC

Ben

Not the guy...the one you're thinking of is in Williamsburg (and to be fair about it, he didn't actually fly anything at the 'field", he simply made a phone inquiry about flying a larger G powered scale NASA rocket project - and that alone was enough to focus attention on the rocketry activities occuring in a County public park, not exactly "our field"). I'm sure he didn't feel too good about what transpired, but clearly, in a responsible manner (if what I heard was accurate) he made some phone calls to the club rep. first and then not hearing anything, then the park office before he actually did anything, and what happened after that was likely inevitable.
No one is happy about, but that's water under the bridge now. I miss that launch opportunity very much, and you being so conveniently located to it, maybe more so.

I'm not sure why the urge to do this project .......
Kyle and his team put a high power rocket engine on a porta potty at LDRS in Argonia on the Discovery Channel's The Rocket Challenge so it isn't exactly going to be very unique for all the trouble...and it sounds like there will be a few more problems with this project than the ones Kyle's team had to deal with...

outhouse2.jpg

Last edited:
Priceless!:D

------
Now I have to wipe of my monitor... spit coffee all over it.:caffeine:

The "potty launch" thread here is going about as well as on other forums.

I wonder what the CG/CP relationship is on a port-o-poddy?

At least spell it right...

PORTA- POTTY... IE Porta(ble) Potty (IE Dookey, doo-doo, stink pickles, etc... )

Later! OL JR :)

At least spell it right...

PORTA- POTTY... IE Porta(ble) Potty (IE Dookey, doo-doo, stink pickles, etc... )

Later! OL JR

LUKE... give in to the Dark Side.......:dark:

I was born in Boston, we say: "Pod-a-Poty". If it's really clean we call it a "Wicked pissa, pod-a-poty".

----------
Now to flying Potties:

You all know I love the wild side of rocketry.
The problem is just making certian everyone who may attempt this sort of thing (potty launch ect.) realize the difference between Rocketry and a stunt.

Stunts, made for T.V. or otherwise, will be on the rise with more T.V. coverage of Real rocketry events.
Have you seen the add for LDRS coverage on the Science channel? (launching chairs and grills: all CG efects):rolleyes:

So as responsible Rocketry folks we need to point out the difference between Rocketry and stunts.

That's all I'll stop now...

:eyepop: Wait a second..... Did I just call myself responsible . I must be getting old.

My day job is design and qualification of aerospace parts (structures). One VERY useful tool is PFMEA and FMEA analysis.

If you follow these tools (don't know what they are, look em up or msg me) HONESTLY, you can significantly reduce the chance of failure. On other big projects I have worked on, FMEA/PFMEA analysis was very useful in getting a sign off.

P.S. I would look at the failure modes where one motor only comes up to zero or partial pressure and design in a LOW RPN for that mode

Back