HOMEMADE EXPERIMENT

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I leave this thread open

• Yes, I want to hear of your progress(or failures)

• No, I think Your a nuisance to the rocketing comunity

Results are only viewable after voting.
4 motors, all on corners and home-made. Recepie for disaster. One motor not starting with the off-axis thrust will have this flipping across the ground spreading parts and burning motors everywhere. Clusters require you to keep the motors as close together as possible to the center of mass. This way failure of the rocket due to a motor failure at ignition is minimized. This is what needs to be tested over and over, getting 4 sugar/nitrate motors to come up to pressure at the same time without fail.

....good luck with that:rolleyes:

Last edited:
4 motors, all on corners and home-made. Recepie for disaster. One motor not starting with the off-axis thrust will have this flipping across the ground spreading parts and burning motors everywhere. Clusters require you to keep the motors as close together as possible to the center of mass. This way failure of the rocket due to a motor failure at ignition is minimized. This is what needs to be tested over and over, getting 4 sugar/nitrate motors to come up to pressure at the same time without fail.

....good luck with that:rolleyes:

'so you think we should cut a whole in the middle and put them in the center?

Thanks

Davis Out

I'm staying out of this one. (The mods all go "WHEW")
This guy can't spell, is nowhere near being a "professional," has no experience, obviously doesn't have a clue what he's into.
This should make for some great watching.....

:pop:

Yeah, a bunch of FX idiots out to blow something up, just what we need around here (if that's really who they are - which I doubt). If they think that TRA, NAR and Tripoli are a waste of time then I think the next best prerequisite for this team would be anvil launching! That ought to give this group some good experience launching heavy objects into the air.

The mods should shut this stupidity down and the sooner the better.

Yes, please end this madness!

JD

:pop:

Yeah, a bunch of FX idiots out to blow something up, just what we need around here (if that's really who they are - which I doubt). If they think that TRA, NAR and Tripoli are a waste of time then I think the next best prerequisite for this team would be anvil launching! That ought to give this group some good experience launching heavy objects into the air.

The mods should shut this stupidity down and the sooner the better.

HELLO EVERYONE
I AM WITH ADVANCED AERONAUTICS
I PLEADE YOU TO FINISH READING THIS THREAD AND REPLY, NO MATTER HOW CRAZY OR A BAD IDEA YOU THINK IT IS

WE ARE PLANNING ON MAKING HOME MADE ROCKETS WITH PVC ENGINES
OUR ROCKET PROPELLANT WILL BE MADE OF
KNO3(POTTASIUM NITRATE)
SORBITOL(NATURAL SUGAR)

THEN WE WILL ATTACH 4 OF THESE 7 FT ROCKETS TO A PORT--O-POTTY WHICH WE WILL REINFORCE WITH ALUMINUM

AND HOPEFULLY IT WILL FLY

PLEASE TELL ME ANYTHING YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS.

DAVIS OUT
ADVANCEDAERO.WEBS.COM

You asked for it.

I find you and your project to be annoying, senseless and childish. I voted to end the postings. If you want to fly rockets join TRA or NAR. If not ... go away.

OCYMMV ... just my opinion.

Last edited:
You asked for it.

. . . . . . . . senseless and childish.

This is exactly how this came across initially. It's not rocketry in any way, shape or form. It's a bunch of FX morons doing a stunt and since this is a rocketry forum I think it has no place here. It reminds me of those Rednecks Famous Last Words jokes - "Hey Bubba, hold my beer and watch this!!"

I vote to keep this thread open. I find it immensely entertaining. Civilization will survive.

To those it offends, simply stay away from this thread.

Edit: Perhaps most don't realize whom the joke is on?

Last edited:
I vote to keep this thread open. I find it immensely entertaining. Civilization will survive.

To those it offends, simply stay away from this thread.

Edit: Perhaps most don't realize whom the joke is on?

Thanks incase you havent looked it 4 to 6 so I think this thread will survive.

So thanks for voting yes.
Vting will close tommorow and if the differential is not more than -20 than I will gladly close the forum.

Thanks again

Davis Out

AeronAdvanced, have you given any consideration to Sodium Bicarbonate/Acetic Acid motors?

NaHCO3
CH3COOH

This would be one way you could avoid having to invite the BATFE and local fire department. It may also avoid your attracting attention of the FBI and CIA.

I do happen to agree with you that the NRA is a lot less than helpful when matters of rocketry are concerned. TRA and even Tripoli have fancy websites with many pictures of rockets. They look rocket oriented to me.

AeronAdvanced, have you given any consideration to Sodium Bicarbonate/Acetic Acid motors?

NaHCO3
CH3COOH

This would be one way you could avoid having to invite the BATFE and local fire department. It may also avoid your attracting attention of the FBI and CIA.

I do happen to agree with you that the NRA is a lot less than helpful when matters of rocketry are concerned. TRA and even Tripoli have fancy websites with many pictures of rockets. They look rocket oriented to me.

Ok Im going to look into that thank you.
And yah If I ever joined one it would be TRIPOLI.

Thanks to being one of the few helpful people so far

NaHCO3
CH3COOH

I highly doubt it will have anywhere near enough thrust to launch a port o potty into the air.

But I think it would be fun to test with.

Also Where is the best place to buy industrial motors.
Just looking down both roads. waying my options.

Thanks for once again to all the helpful people.

Also I am thinking of canning this thread and starting a new one,that hopefully only helpful people will post on. Im adding that to my poll.

Thanks

Davis Out

Hey, Well what do you suggest if you dont mind me asking?
And as I have previously wrote we are still doing both thrust and burn rate testing .
And as soon as we get conclusive data up we will post it.

Thanks

Davis Out

If you have to ask, I suspect you have little to no experience building rocket motors. PVC as I understand it does not hold pressure real well and is susceptible to CATO's. I don't think I can discuss anymore about building motors and be within the rules of this forum. Frankly, I don't know a lot more than that anyways.

In your original post you stated that you are going to put 4 ea 7 foot long motors on this porta-potty. That's a lot of thrust for a motor built conventionally. That's something in the O to P range I suspect depending on the diameter of the motors. Four baby P motors? Unless you want to put about 1000 lbs of reinforcement inside, the potty will shred thus endangering your life along with anyone within a half mile radius. I guarantee it. Plus, the FAA is going to want to discuss some matters with you if that really is the size of your motors. Do some research on filing waivers for class 3 rockets. Have fun getting that approved with the FAA. :bangpan: If I am wrong about the size of these motors please specify your intended impulse - preferably in NS.

I have been trying to give you the benefit of the doubt while others were piling on but the more information I see from you the less experienced you appear to be and the more nervous I am about this project. I've been flying rockets since 2005 and am an L2 and also vice prefect of my club and even I wouldn't feel comfortable taking on anything like this. I don't think you understand the enormity of what you are taking on...

Have you thought anything about recovery?

How are you going to calculate your center of pressure?

What is the stability margin?

What is the estimated thrust to weight ratio?

I know I am going to get severely criticized for this but...If someone contacted me and asked to fly a porta potty at one of our launches I would be inclined to say yes. However, there are a slew of questions I would ask (much like the ones above and many many more) before allowing such a flight. And there better be some VERY good answers from a very very experienced flier i.e. "I donno" means no flight. Why is that? It's because people with as little experience as myself know just how many crazy things can go wrong with a "normal" rocket built by very experienced fliers and here you are with zero experience wanting to fly something very big and very scary. Please don't hold it against all of us if we seem dubious of this project.

-Dave

If you have to ask, I suspect you have little to no experience building rocket motors. PVC as I understand it does not hold pressure real well and is susceptible to CATO's. I don't think I can discuss anymore about building motors and be within the rules of this forum. Frankly, I don't know a lot more than that anyways.

In your original post you stated that you are going to put 4 ea 7 foot long motors on this porta-potty. That's a lot of thrust for a motor built conventionally. That's something in the O to P range I suspect depending on the diameter of the motors. Four baby P motors? Unless you want to put about 1000 lbs of reinforcement inside, the potty will shred thus endangering your life along with anyone within a half mile radius. I guarantee it. Plus, the FAA is going to want to discuss some matters with you if that really is the size of your motors. Do some research on filing waivers for class 3 rockets. Have fun getting that approved with the FAA. :bangpan: If I am wrong about the size of these motors please specify your intended impulse - preferably in NS.

I have been trying to give you the benefit of the doubt while others were piling on but the more information I see from you the less experienced you appear to be and the more nervous I am about this project. I've been flying rockets since 2005 and am an L2 and also vice prefect of my club and even I wouldn't feel comfortable taking on anything like this. I don't think you understand the enormity of what you are taking on...

Have you thought anything about recovery?

How are you going to calculate your center of pressure?

What is the stability margin?

What is the estimated thrust to weight ratio?

I know I am going to get severely criticized for this but...If someone contacted me and asked to fly a porta potty at one of our launches I would be inclined to say yes. However, there are a slew of questions I would ask (much like the ones above and many many more) before allowing such a flight. And there better be some VERY good answers from a very very experienced flier i.e. "I donno" means no flight. Why is that? It's because people with as little experience as myself know just how many crazy things can go wrong with a "normal" rocket built by very experienced fliers and here you are with zero experience wanting to fly something very big and very scary. Please don't hold it against all of us if we seem dubious of this project.

-Dave

Recovery Yes I have already mentioned that. Parachute.

Center of Pressure-There is a formula (not known by heart) Punch the numbers in, numbers are not definite yet soo.

Give me a sec for your other questions

Davis Out

For the CP formula, I presume you are talking about the Barrowman formula. Just so you know, it is designed around the idea of a relatively conventionally shaped rocket or missile, and will probably not work on this design.

I voted yes, it's pretty entertaining.
But seriously, if someone really wants to do something, who are we to say you can't do it or it's a stupid idea? I've done some wacky stuff, like makeing toilet paper fly, people said it wouldn't work, but it did, 3 finned rockets were once thought to always be unstable, and that's obviously isn't true, so Instead of trying to trip him, let's give him some pointers and advice, after all, He came to this forum for the same reason the rest of us did, to give and share knowlage so we can all enjoy a hobby, and yes, even flying porta-pottys counts, if it helps people believe this, think of this as a new branch of the hobby....

SD :2:

Ps, make sure no one is in the porta potty when it goes up :D (sorry, I had to say it, you will not beieve how many people......)

I am not a "noob" Everyone on the launch and production team is proffesionals.

Now the engine will probably be N but we are not possitive as we are jsut now starting testing (as of today)

For recovery we will have a self deploy full size parachuet put into the assemply, along with a GPS tracker incase we loose sight of it.

Thank You for Replying even if you do think I am an idiot.

Davis Out

Why I don't think you are an idiot, I do think that your lack of care regarding spelling and subject-verb agreement regarding your explanation does not give me confidence that your project is that well thought out. If you cannot do what is simple, how can you hope to do something that is far more complex?

That said, that you would consider using PVC and propellant together shows a lack of knowledge regarding materials selection. PVC pipe is not to be used in pressurized air systems, and that is common knowledge in the construction business.

Greg

'so you think we should cut a whole in the middle and put them in the center?

Thanks

Davis Out

Dude, seriously? Was that meant as a real question? I really hope this is nothing more than a hoax being played on us by someone who actually knows what they're doing.. In case it's not:

I have a question I don't believe anyone has asked yet- Why? Why do you want to launch a porta-potty? What exactly is the objective here? What is it you're trying to accomplish? Are you just trying to prove you can stick a motor in something and make it fly, or is there a legitimate objective here?

If it's the former, look up a show called Master Blasters. They pretty much prove you can make anything fly, regardless of whether it's supposed to or not. If the latter, then what's the logic/reasoning behind launching a porta-potty?

In case this thread gets used as evidence in court later on, I'd like to go on record as saying this is a bad idea. I checked out your website, and it looks like none of you have any real experience in rocketry, let alone high power rocketry. Hollywood FX doesn't count as rocketry experience. Your question above, "So you think we should cut a whole (sic) in the middle and put them in the center?" tells me you've given no thought as to how this is actually going to work and that you have absolutely no experience flying rockets. These aren't toys we're playing with here man. These things are dangerous if not used properly.

Maybe I should encourage you. I mean the worst that can happen is a little more chlorination of the gene pool, right? Unfortunately it's the others I'm more worried about.

No offense, but most of us TRA and NAR folks take anything that might make us look bad pretty seriously. While you personally aren't affiliated with either NAR or TRA, this is exactly the type of project that has the distinct possibility of gaining us the exact kind of attention we don't want. Perhaps you could get "JONATHON MORGAN-ROCKETRY ADVISOR" to poke his head on here and give us his qualifications?

Last edited:
So, if this is an effort to launch a portapotty would you need to use a 'P' motor?

Aeron, don' let all of the Negative Nellies discourage you.

It's not that some of us are trying to be negative, it's that it doesn't come off as a project that someone with any semblance of rocketry related experience is doing. It would be different if someone with an actual reputation in rocketry was going to launch a porta-potty and try something new. That's not the case here. Here you have someone without so much as basic rocketry experience asking remedial questions and not providing much in the way of good, solid answers. This project scares me.

That said, to each their own I guess. Fortunately he's not a member of either TRA or NAR, so when a mishap occurs, it won't have an impact on either organization. Plus, any and all legal obligations and liabilities will be his and his alone, so whatever. Knock yourself out. Myself and several others are on record as saying this is a bad idea, but it won't be held at a sanctioned event and won't be using any of the commercially available propellants, so hey, have a blast!

Since TRF doesn't have a joke-of-the-day forum, or any place to retain these sorts of gems, maybe we need a new forum where we all can go to get a chuckle when we need it. Then when these kinds of people show up the mods could just sliiiiide the post over onto the separate forum. I will not even remotely suggest that such a collection of drivel would serve as any deterrent whatsoever against any possible future performances, but it could be a handy place for other jokes as well.

I would recommend against naming the new forum anything like

-VMAB (various, miscellaneous, assorted b%llsh%t)
-Just Another Wannabe
-I'm A Perffessunnel
-Don't Waste Your Time/Electrons
-Where Did I Leave My Beer?
-Looney Bin
-Shallow End of the Gene Pool

Those titles would all be insulting and offensive.

Instead, I think the perfect title for the forum would be Silvie's "Stay put. They'll find you."

Last edited:
Back