I've had it with IE on 8.1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my bit. I was hating IE so bad, but it was all I knew. My friend Sean turned me on to Mozilla/Firefox, and I've been with it ever since. Prolly going on nearly ten years now. Can't ditch what works best for ya, eh?

Here's my bit. I was hating IE so bad, but it was all I knew. My friend Sean turned me on to Mozilla/Firefox, and I've been with it ever since. Prolly going on nearly ten years now. Can't ditch what works best for ya, eh?

Same here Mozilla FireFox all the way, I ditched IE about 8 or 9 years ago. FF has lots of mods for it that improve functionality, appearance and ease of use. IE belongs to MS and they don't like to share as much, so fewer people develop add-ons for their apps.

From the dark side, switching is not easy. One must go where the light is bright. Do this, and I assure you, it will be, that for you, a greater path, has been chosen.

Yoda.jpg

Thanks Gary.
I take it the "Pockets" on FF is like "Folders" on IE?
I really need to get all my vendors back on favorites, or what ever FF calls it.
So far, it's a ton faster and not a single hang up or lock up with 8 tabs open including several here, email and FB, and even 2 ebay tabs.

I've been a Firefox fan for 10+ years. More recently I've added Chrome as my backup browser. (It's good to have two, as some sites may struggle with compatibility.) I avoid IE entirely.

Chrome! Nuff said...... Why anyone would ever consider IE is beyond me, no disrespect intended to the OP. And from a strictly personal pov, Firefox isn't even in the running.

Firefox for years, also have Opera. Different design and flow but works flawlessly.

Thanks Gary.
I take it the "Pockets" on FF is like "Folders" on IE?
I really need to get all my vendors back on favorites, or what ever FF calls it.
So far, it's a ton faster and not a single hang up or lock up with 8 tabs open including several here, email and FB, and even 2 ebay tabs.

Bookmarks is what FF calls it for favorite places. Now go get the ad block plug-in and see what we have all been used to for so many years.

For most everything, I use Firefox, and keep it pretty "locked down" with FlashBlock, AdBlock+, NoScript, and Ghostery plugins. It's a little too locked down to see everything on the forum, so I use Chrome (with AdBlock+ and Ghostery) for TRF, and very little else. I don't know the last time I used IE.

I run all three on my PC and add Safari n the mix on my Mac, but I prefer FF and have for may years now. You will have some interoperability issues with the odd site that is optimized for I.E. but it should be fine. Chrome is my backup as it is a lightweight browser, but I am disappointed in the fact that the developers in their infinite wisdom do not allow the browser to automatically flush cache and history, you have to do it manually and I personally see that as a big negative for Chrome.

Haven't you heard... Windows 10 is the messiah (Win7 reincarnate).

You'll have to wait 'til then to get relief from your life of misery.

+1 for Firefox!
My old computer and IE were a disaster compared to my new one and Firefox with Ad Blocker Plus.
This is what computing should be, but for so long I suffered with Internet Explorer and Vista. I've paid my dues.

I use Firefox for years, and Chrome now, also. Only use IE when I have to test for someone.

Seems most forums are very Chrome friendly or Firefox.

Same here, W8.1 and IE were aggravating as heck. My son said to try FireFox, that it far exceled over IE... I have been very happy with the switch.

Why anyone uses Internet Exploder is unknown to me.

I am a diehard chrome fan. IE is best used for accessing download links for Chrome and Firefox. :)

Firefox for me - I really do not like the way that Chrome saves your searches, etc., and then shared them with Google. That, and all the other security and "Google" problems.

Why anyone uses Internet Exploder is unknown to me.

To answer your (presumably rhetorical) question, while I am a Chrome fan, I have to use several county assessors websites for research in my business and they use Silverlight. Each time I access their websites I get a large popup notice I have to Agree to stating "Google Chrome is no longer supporting the Silverlight plugin necessary to access......" etc. So why do I use Internet Explorer? Because the information is not available anywhere else and I have to use it. Technically I could use FireFox - practically in my work environmental I simply have to use IE. :rant:

One of the reasons I have 4 monitors, I'll open Chrome for most of my research and have one monitor open to what has to be accessed via IE

IE will be no more when Win10 is released. PC users will get Microsoft Edge instead. Can't you tell the difference?

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435883224.647869.jpg

You have 4 monitors on one system?

Yup.

My command center:

IMG_5776.jpg

IMG_5777.jpg

I like the browser Waterfox. It is a 64bit firefox, but more stable than firefox.

Anyone who is unhappy with their browser or the internet experience in general may wish to check out https://www.privacytools.io for some enlightening information and links to the suggested browsers, add-ons, and testing utilities.

After learning of this site on yesterday's "Security Now" podcast by Steve Gibson, I checked it out.

"I laughed. I cried. I fell down. It changed my life." A tip of the cap to the first person who recognizes the quote.

Anyone who is unhappy with their browser or the internet experience in general may wish to check out https://www.privacytools.io for some enlightening information and links to the suggested browsers, add-ons, and testing utilities.

After learning of this site on yesterday's "Security Now" podcast by Steve Gibson, I checked it out.

"I laughed. I cried. I fell down. It changed my life." A tip of the cap to the first person who recognizes the quote.

Cowboy Feng's Space Bar and Grille by Steven Brust (I cheated, Google)

This is a bit of a specialized comparison, but a year or so back I had occasion to do a heavy JavaScript performance flyoff of IE, Firefox and Chrome. We were pushing the limits of how many overlay objects could be rendered on OpenLayers maps. Chrome won by a fair margin, Firefox was 2nd (could handle around half as many objects IIRC), and IE was a very distant 3rd, bogging down with only about 20% of the number of objects we could display on Chrome. Chrome's behavior also degraded much more gracefully, whereas IE would "hit the wall" and pretty much go unresponsive beyond a certain point. FF was somewhere in between.

@hardline - plugin support is on the road to destruction for all browsers. Both IOS and Android have already banned browser plugins completely (support completely removed in current versions of both OS's) and plugin support is going away from desktop browsers in the near future. Too many security holes arise. We've had serious compatibility issues with legacy SW products that are overly dependent on browser plugins, especially the java plugin. Sites that continue to rely on plugins are going to become unusable.

Last edited:
Back