eRockets sure ain't Semroc

A month ago I placed my first order with eRockets and unfortunately it did not go well. I received my order quickly and most of the items were there but one item was wrong and the other was less than what I ordered (I had ordered a pack of six 3/16" x 3" launch lugs and only received one lug tossed in the box). I immediately called Randy and he said he would send the correct items right away. After two weeks of nothing I called again and he said he'd check on the tracking number and get back with me. After a reminder e-mail he finally replied on 6/19 with this:

"nope, never found it. We are going to reselect the order again today. Of course we will be out of the Edmonds kit. If the first order does show up please let me know."

That was the last I heard from him and he has not answered any more of my e-mails. And of course, nothing has arrived.

This is very disappointing. I had really hoped that eRockets would at least try to uphold Semroc's reputation of good customer service but apparently that's too much to ask. How difficult is it to stick some launch lugs in the mail? I had also hoped to order more Semroc items in the future but if they can't get a small order right then I'm certainly not going to trust them with a large order. Or any order at this point.

Living life on the edge...launching C's on a B field

Give em time. They're still getting their priorities in order. You can't expect instant gratification this soon. They are still trying to incorporate both companies. This is NOT something that happens overnight.

Thinking outside the box is normal for me. Went inside the box once and got claustrophobic.
    Can't never did!
    Inventions weren't created by skeptics.
    There's a bright side to every screwed up week.

Believe Randy is moving his office and inventory to a different facility as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bguffer View Post
    Believe Randy is moving his office and inventory to a different facility as well.
    True that!
    Thinking outside the box is normal for me. Went inside the box once and got claustrophobic.
    Can't never did!
    Inventions weren't created by skeptics.
    There's a bright side to every screwed up week.

Somehow, I don't think waiting a month for the resolution of a transaction is expecting instant gratification.

I would agree that the order should have been resolved a bit quicker, but I don't think they should be burned in effigy for it. Sheryl and Bruce had a system and a routine in place and had it tweaked and everything was in place. Now you have two companies merging into one. Mind you one of those companies had nearly sold off their entire inventory. In addition you have to move one of the companies to another state and then right after the move the landlord decides they want the building back so now you have to move again. It will take time to get things running as smoothly as Semroc under Sheryl and Bruce, but it will get there. On another note, I have had an order from Randy with 9 kits, 8 of which were Semroc kits, 4 of which were new Semroc packaging and everything was as good as it has ever been from Semroc. The quality is still there. We should all be thanking Randy for bringing Semroc out of the ashes and making a commitment to continuing making all the kits we have come to love from Semroc.
    Paul Rudin BAR

"Duct tape. the force it is like. both a light side and a dark side it has. Binds the universe together it does."

L1 Madcow Nike Smoke H128
    NAR 96663
    FSA 481

Quote Originally Posted by bguffer View Post
    Here's where Randy responded to bradycross about the current situation of erockets/Semroc (as of June 10, 2015)

Quote Originally Posted by boadwayr View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    This is Randy Boadway of Semroc.
    I understand that our web page is still not up to snuff. We have been working hard to provide an easy place to find and order your parts. We are first adding pictures to the items, after that we will focus on descriptions. I understand that the old Semroc site has a lot of valuable resources and that is why we have not pulled the plug on it. We have no plans to allow purchasing off of the old site, it is not prudent to integrate it into our eRockets site or systems.

We are also continuing to focus on making parts available. There are currently almost 4000 SKU's of parts and we are down to about 400 not being available. I believe it will take us until the end of July to be back in production on everything.

We currently have 41 kits available and will continue at the pace to have about 84 in stock by the time the Christmas rush begins.

Our landlord in Dayton has decided that he wants to use our space for something else. This is throwing a big monkey wrench into our plan. We are about to move into a larger facility over the next few weeks. Of course we expect part production will be minimal during the move.

If there is a part that you would like to have sooner than later please drop me a note, we are trying to accommodate any request as quickly as possible.

respectfully,

Randy Boadway, Semroc
    Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

I will add my $.02, because it's teh internetz and I can.

I've ordered multiple times from Randy, and gotten great customer service. Including one instance where USPS decided to fold a box with body tubes in it, just because they could.

I've ordered from the old Semroc, and had bits missing. It was right after they decided to close Semroc. Given everything they were going through, I chose not to contact them about it. Every other order I placed with Semroc was great!

My point is that even the best of folks have off days/weeks/months. I know how frustrating an apparent lack of customer service can be. I also know how it feels when you are absolutely buried by life, and there aren't enough hours in the day to do everything that needs to get done. I'm going to continue ordering from Randy, giving him the benefit of the doubt until he consistently proves otherwise.

I hope that the OP get's his issues resolved with eRockets quickly, that Randy gets everything into the new space successfully, and that everything is back up and running smoothly in a relatively short while.
    Bill

NAR #97213, L2
    Just a member of UROC
    Former member of NARHAMS and NOVAAR

I'll give a shout out to Randy for great customer support. He's made every order right, and quickly.

But there's been something to fix on every order I've placed. So his picking system isn't 6 sigma yet.
    Charles McGonegal
    Ciderwright
    AeppelTreow Winery & Distillery
    www.appletrue.com
    Ad Astra Tabernamque!

Quote Originally Posted by RocketGeekInFL View Post
    I would agree that the order should have been resolved a bit quicker, but I don't think they should be burned in effigy for it. Sheryl and Bruce had a system and a routine in place and had it tweaked and everything was in place. Now you have two companies merging into one. Mind you one of those companies had nearly sold off their entire inventory. In addition you have to move one of the companies to another state and then right after the move the landlord decides they want the building back so now you have to move again. It will take time to get things running as smoothly as Semroc under Sheryl and Bruce, but it will get there. On another note, I have had an order from Randy with 9 kits, 8 of which were Semroc kits, 4 of which were new Semroc packaging and everything was as good as it has ever been from Semroc. The quality is still there. We should all be thanking Randy for bringing Semroc out of the ashes and making a commitment to continuing making all the kits we have come to love from Semroc.
    I am really sorry I didn't see this post earlier. By now, I believe Randy has caught up with the Semroc Parts. I am so thankful he has kept the Semroc site up as Carl worked many hours obtaining the vast information on the site. I do know that in the beginning, Randy seemed to have multiple problems. First one was having to move just after having everything set up to start production. The second was, when we restarted Semroc to the public, Carl and Bruce had been working a year before, finding out what worked the best. Randy had to learn how to be a manufacturer in just a few weeks. He has done a fantastic job and I hope everyone gives him another chance or two. I know that just one bad review can destroy a business.

Sheryl,

I wouldn't worry about the OP's Review. Randy has done a Great Job getting Semroc back up and running since he took over. Other than this, I haven't read any other complaints since.
    Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

Sheryl:

I had long forgotten about this incident, but as the OP I thought it fitting I share with you—and the forum—the rest of the story.

This issue continued unresolved until after a third party closer to Randy became involved and contacted him on my behalf. Two months after the initial purchase, I received a package with the aforementioned launch lugs, a handwritten note from Randy apologizing for the long delay and a bag of kevlar shock cord. He didn't mention it, but I later noticed he credited my PayPal account for the kit I did not receive, making the wrong kit I received free.

Some months later I decided to give eRockets another try and was very pleased to receive my order quickly, accurately and safely packed. Subsequent orders have been equally satisfying. I have no hesitation being a repeat eRockets customer.

I've ordered from eRockets before... They have great customer service, and REALLY REALLY FAST SHIPPING!
    Thanks,
    Andrew - 13 year old rocketeer who loves to watch and fly model rockets all year long!!!
    2017 - 213.4 Ns _ Biggest motor, AT G125T, highest flight around 3,500'
    TRA Member #17056
    Andrew "Rockets Rock!" B.
    Owner, Andrew's Rocketry Shop - andrewsrocketryshop.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Shockcord View Post
    Sheryl:

I had long forgotten about this incident, but as the OP I thought it fitting I share with you—and the forum—the rest of the story.

This issue continued unresolved until after a third party closer to Randy became involved and contacted him on my behalf. Two months after the initial purchase, I received a package with the aforementioned launch lugs, a handwritten note from Randy apologizing for the long delay and a bag of kevlar shock cord. He didn't mention it, but I later noticed he credited my PayPal account for the kit I did not receive, making the wrong kit I received free.

Some months later I decided to give eRockets another try and was very pleased to receive my order quickly, accurately and safely packed. Subsequent orders have been equally satisfying. I have no hesitation being a repeat eRockets customer.
    We all appreciate the update. Thanks for posting it.
    We got two categories of pilots around here. We got your prime pilots that get all the hot planes, and we got your pud-knockers who DREAM about getting the hot planes.
    Now what are you two pud-knockers gonna have?... Huh?”
    Pancho Barnes-
    The Right Stuff
    http://www.mwavs.com/0053148414/M4RS...udknockers.m4r

Tripoli #2747

Randy is doing a great job, and I am thrilled to see Semroc introducing new kits again. I received the Blue Jay and Maple Seed last month. They are typical Semroc quality in design. The Blue Jay is built and ready to it's maiden flight next weekend. Semroc seems to be in good hands...

Cheers,
    Michael
    Last edited by iqsy59; 29th April 2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: I can't even get my namesake right!
    ROSCO | ICBM

There are a thousand things that can happen when you light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good. -Tom Mueller, SpaceX propulsion chief

Quote Originally Posted by iqsy59 View Post
    Randy is doing a great job, and I am thrilled to see Semroc introducing new kits again. I received the Blue Jay and Maple Seed last month. They are typical Semroc quality in design. The Blue Jay is built and ready to it's maiden flight next weekend. Semroc seems to be in good hands...

Cheers,
    Michael
    Yeah, Semroc kits are really nice! I definitely will order from them again!
    Thanks,
    Andrew - 13 year old rocketeer who loves to watch and fly model rockets all year long!!!
    TRA Member #17056

Wonderful to hear this! Thank you so much for the update. We had a similar incident when Semroc first reopened with the same outcome but we were really worried with our first bad review being public.

Sheryl

Was there notification that the Original Semroc site would disappear? I regularly would use the parts comparison pages and the rest of the site for referencing parts and rocket models I want build. Since I no longer can order on the Semroc side I then go over to the E-Rockets site and order the parts. Is E -Rockets going to bring back that information in some form? To me, it was an invaluable historic reference site for parts/kits. I now feel like we have lost something and its personal.

Drat! semroc.com was indeed an invaluable resource. *sigh*
    Bernard Cawley
    NAR 89040 L1
    AMA 42160
    KG7AIE

whoops hit wrong button. sorry.

At the Tuesday night build session there were a few folks working with Randy on a server issue, my guess is they are still having issues as everything is not a 100% yet.
    Mike Rohde, NAR 89414, SAM 0114, NARTrek Silver

2016 motors thru 12/10/16- 1/8A-1, 1/2A-20, A-39, B-46, C-56, D-10, E-7 =1238 n/s(175 flights)
    2017 motors thru 6/4/17- 1/2A-3, A-3, B-26, C-18, D-4, E-3, F-1 = 506 n/s (56 flights)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRohde View Post
    At the Tuesday night build session there were a few folks working with Randy on a server issue, my guess is they are still having issues as everything is not a 100% yet.
    Yeah, I take it that it can take up to a few years to get a business smoothly going... speaking of build night, I really need to get up there for Build Night.
    I just ordered from Randy less than a week ago, I ordered it on Monday, and it came on Tuesday! That is incredibly fast shipping. My review for them is A+++++
    Thanks,
    TRA Member #17056

Quote Originally Posted by kidagain View Post
    I now feel like we have lost something and its personal.
    Yes, very personal.

Quote Originally Posted by BEC View Post
    Drat! semroc.com was indeed an invaluable resource. *sigh*
    For those interested, Randy came through. The Semroc site is back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl@semroc View Post
    For those interested, Randy came through. The Semroc site is back up.
    To Randy at ERockets - Thank you for getting the site back up. Thanks for the Update Sheryl!
    Colorado Based BAR
    NAR #91740

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl@semroc View Post
    Wonderful to hear this! Thank you so much for the update. We had a similar incident when Semroc first reopened with the same outcome but we were really worried with our first bad review being public.

Sheryl
    That's hard to believe that Semroc had a bad review!
    I do wish Randy stuck with the White Boxes with Semroc in big bold black print on them.
    It's always a treat to open the mail box and now where it's from just by the box. A real thrill!

Cool! Thanks Randy and Sheryl.
    Bernard Cawley
    NAR 89040 L1
    AMA 42160
    KG7AIE

Quote Originally Posted by Woody's Workshop View Post
    That's hard to believe that Semroc had a bad review!
    I do wish Randy stuck with the White Boxes with Semroc in big bold black print on them.
    It's always a treat to open the mail box and now where it's from just by the box. A real thrill!
    I think he switched the boxes for several reasons. First, Semroc is the line of kits and parts that they make in-house. The business that actually sells kits and parts is eRockets; and they sell a lot of stuff that isn't Semroc. Second; they use a lot of USPS boxes for shipping. Why make your own specialty boxes when the carrier makes them?

However, I know what you're saying about those cool Semroc boxes. I still have a few Semroc boxes at home and use them for storing rocket parts.
    Zeus-cat
    NAR# 92125 L1
    Total Impulse for 2017: 1,398.8 N/s
    2017: 1/2A:0, A:1, B:6, C:18 D:9, E:4, F:1, G: I have NEVER launched a G motor, H:1, I:1
    Flights: 41

A month ago I placed my first order with eRockets and unfortunately it did not go well. I received my order quickly and most of the items were there but one item was wrong and the other was less than what I ordered (I had ordered a pack of six 3/16" x 3" launch lugs and only received one lug tossed in the box). I immediately called Randy and he said he would send the correct items right away. After two weeks of nothing I called again and he said he'd check on the tracking number and get back with me. After a reminder e-mail he finally replied on 6/19 with this:

"nope, never found it. We are going to reselect the order again today. Of course we will be out of the Edmonds kit. If the first order does show up please let me know."

That was the last I heard from him and he has not answered any more of my e-mails. And of course, nothing has arrived.

This is very disappointing. I had really hoped that eRockets would at least try to uphold Semroc's reputation of good customer service but apparently that's too much to ask. How difficult is it to stick some launch lugs in the mail? I had also hoped to order more Semroc items in the future but if they can't get a small order right then I'm certainly not going to trust them with a large order. Or any order at this point.
    I understand your frustration, but for the price of a few launch lugs and their poor service if it really upsets you just wash your hands of them and buy your stuff somewhere else. Lucky you didn't take a much bigger hit.
    NAR # 89516
    HPR Cert Level 1

Quote Originally Posted by AfterBurners View Post
    I understand your frustration, but for the price of a few launch lugs and their poor service if it really upsets you just wash your hands of them and buy your stuff somewhere else. Lucky you didn't take a much bigger hit.
    Might want to check out the OP's response to this nearly 2 year old thread. Issue resolved long ago. Happy customer like the rest of us!

Sheryl:

ROSCO | ICBM

There are a thousand things that can happen when you light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good. -Tom Mueller, SpaceX propulsion chief