New Estes Pro Series II - Sahara

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktchem

Reaction score
Just saw this under the Pro Series II menu on the Estes website

009713 - Pro Series II™ Sahara™ Description
Pro Series II

NEW! NEW! NEW! A web exclusive, this is the only place you will this find rocket. Standing over 4 feet tall, the Sahara comes with the quick release motor retention system just as the other Pro Series do. (Motor Retainer Set is also sold separately). Though massive looking, the construction of this kit is not difficult. Building and finish work can easily be accomplished over a few days.

Be sure and get your Sahara before they are gone!

9713.jpg

https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/pro-series/rockets/009713-pro-series-iitm-saharatm

It may be a web exclusive like the Scion since it notes "NOTE: NOT packaged for retail."

However Estes pre-production pics and info are notorious for being incorrect (check out the info in the packaging pic of the new Odyssey...wow, goes up to 150ft! lol)

007235_package.jpg
(should be 750')

Last edited:
Is it a Pargent or an Argizon?

Reminds me of the great Pizzly vs. Grolar Bear debate. Although Zonkeys are always Zonkeys, never Debras --- cuz Debbie don't like that.

Oooh, I like it even better than the Argent. I have no idea where I can launch mid-power around here, but I'm tempted...wish I saw this thread before I placed my order for the 4th of July sale.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the web exclusive super-special "Le ViaVentArgeZon". :)However in all seriousness, I think it's a cool design and they'll likely deprive me of more of my savings. :D
That was scrapped for the new Maxi Der Parleviaventargemoke :wink:

Looks like a nice rocket. I wonder if its just another way to expend parts. Between this and the Scion it looks like a parts blowout. Wonder if they're giving up on mid power.

Every launch I go to has many PSII launches. They're very popular. I just can't imagine them killing the series off.

Every launch I go to has many PSII launches. They're very popular. I just can't imagine them killing the series off.

I actually love them and think it was a great move for Estes. I only got into this hobby a few years ago, but I don't think Estes ever released so many rockets which (with some minor mods) allow you to gain Level 1 HP. Also the cost just keeps going down. Fantastic value, great designs, simple builds, gotta love em'!

If Estes does give up on the current line of PSII builder kits, I think it will probably be due to the agreement with Aerotech for the rebranded composites not working out in some way. They are a rocket kit company, but they are also a rocket motor company. I'm sure that decisions about what rockets to sell has something to do with what motors those rockets will move out the door. Since the PSII builder kits only work well with the composite 29mm motors, that may not be working out for Estes. They may choose to concentrate more on kits that work well with the 29mm BP motors instead.

Of course, that is speculation about the possible cause for something that hasn't happened and may not happen, so it's a pretty much worthless theory...

I do find it interesting the Estes does NOT mention any composite motors in the the specs and has the max altitude at 700' on an F15 motor...

I'm betting sales on the motors aren't what they expected. Anyone really looking at the PSII kits is most likely more experienced and aware of the AT line of motors. Why pay so much from Estes when there are cheaper options?

Well, frankly, Estes charges more for their version of the Aerotech SU and they don't include an ignitor. I only buy Estes composite motors when I can't get the Aerotech...

Well, frankly, Estes charges more for their version of the Aerotech SU and they don't include an ignitor. I only buy Estes composite motors when I can't get the Aerotech...

The only ones I ever bought were a couple years ago when Frys electronics put them all on clearance for 10 bucks each. The AT single use F and G motors are cheaper, include an igniter, and have a much greater selection of propellent types.

It makes sense for Estes to concentrate on rockets that use their own Black Powder motors. I'd like to see more builder kits made for the E16 and F15. Frankly, I think this kit, and the Scion, and most of the builder kits are too heavy for those motors.

"Be sure and get your Sahara before they are gone!"

"Availability: Out of stock"

It makes sense for Estes to concentrate on rockets that use their own Black Powder motors. I'd like to see more builder kits made for the E16 and F15. Frankly, I think this kit, and the Scion, and most of the builder kits are too heavy for those motors.

I guess the question I have about that is with regards to the reliability of the large BP motors. I've been told so many horror stories of the 29mm motors CATOing that I'm real reluctant to try one. The only one I witnessed being launched first hand was one of the E16 (IIRC) at LDRS, and it blew up on the pad. I tend to put a lot of work into building an finishing, and don't like the idea that a stupid motor would blow it up because it isn't proven to be generally reliable. I understand that there's always a risk in launching these things, and have at least come to terms with the notion that any flight could be its last (so build accordingly). I just prefer to avoid an undue risk if possible.

I guess that's a long-winded way to ask: have the E16 & F15 motors become reasonably reliable, or is there still a (perceived?) high CATO rate? I say reasonably on purpose; I know that when dealing with BP, nothing will ever be 100%...

I guess the question I have about that is with regards to the reliability of the large BP motors. I've been told so many horror stories of the 29mm motors CATOing that I'm real reluctant to try one. The only one I witnessed being launched first hand was one of the E16 (IIRC) at LDRS, and it blew up on the pad. I tend to put a lot of work into building an finishing, and don't like the idea that a stupid motor would blow it up because it isn't proven to be generally reliable. I understand that there's always a risk in launching these things, and have at least come to terms with the notion that any flight could be its last (so build accordingly). I just prefer to avoid an undue risk if possible.

I guess that's a long-winded way to ask: have the E16 & F15 motors become reasonably reliable, or is there still a (perceived?) high CATO rate? I say reasonably on purpose; I know that when dealing with BP, nothing will ever be 100%...

I have bought and flown many of the E16/F15 motors. All have been 100% successful.

Has anyone bought one yet? I'm curious if the kit comes with a decal for the roll pattern checkers. Other PS2 kits don't have decals, but that's a feature that would be difficult to mask evenly. If not, I wonder how long before Stickershock adds it to their PS2 offerings (as well as the Scion)...

I'm betting sales on the motors aren't what they expected. Anyone really looking at the PSII kits is most likely more experienced and aware of the AT line of motors. Why pay so much from Estes when there are cheaper options?

It was great when you could walk into Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon and walk out with a pair of G80-7Ts. But now you have to pay HazMat to get the Estes motors just like Aerotech.

Grab some hobby line cases .. most of the loads are non haz !

3 pack of E reloads on discount are a cheap thrill.. there are even some $10 G reloads to be had..and you get to choose propellant!

With the drill tool you never have to forecast your delays before ordering again..but be warned they are gateway motors.

Kenny

Last edited:
Grab some hobby line cases .. most of the loads are non haz !

3 pack of E reloads on discount are a cheap thrill.. there are even some $10 G reloads to be had..and you get to choose propellant!

With the drill tool you never have to forecast your delays before ordering again..but be warned they are gateway motors.

Kenny

Yeah. $500.00 in mid power motors later and now he tells me!

Gateway my rump. RMS is a straight up addiction. And probably the second coolest addiction on earth.

Last edited:
Looks like an Argent cut down enough to fly well on BP motors (13.2 oz.).

Gateway for sure. It won't be long and you'll be eyeballing some 38mm skidmarks for this baby and wishing you'd put in the bigger MMT and glassed on the fins when ya had the chance.

Muahahahahaha

It does rather look like a short-snout Argent.

Never put an engine block in anything.

Back