Direct Port venting for Altimeter Baro Sensor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jderimig

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
At LDRS34 I test flew my Honest John with a different way of venting the "av bay" for baro sensing. My Honest John av-bay is huge as I simply attach the electronics to a bulkhead and slide the assembly down to a coupler. So everything below is wide open. I did not want to drill large ugly holes in the air frame.

Instead I attached a tube directly to the baro sensor (it is a ported sensor to allow this) and ran the line to a single plastic port in the airframe. In between there would be a small accumulator/filter (volume ~1 cu-in) with baffles and damping material. The technique was successful with a reasonably smooth baro trace through apogee. There is further fine tuning I want to do with the time constant of the filter.

Photo below is a picture of the tube connection to the altimeter.

20150701_124334_small.jpg

On the left black piece is the port that goes through the airframe. The blue piece (LP filter) goes over the port on the inside of the airframe. Tube runs to altimeter port.

20150701_170353_small.jpg

Interesting, I have never seen that approach before and certainly don't know enough to critique either way. One thing that I have read in the past is that having multiple holes is better than one so I wonder what implication that has on this approach.

Love to see people thinking outside the box!

Back