Is this a sign of the end of the world???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least a part of the problem with Hollywood finding original material is that, once upon a time, they used to make movies out of classic literature or popular books, but since no one actually reads books anymore (including the writers), that no longer works. How can you do a movie about "Hamlet" when:
a) No one has read it,
b) No one has any idea who Shakespeare was, and
c) everyone thinks that it must be about small hams.

I agree with Mushtang that a reboot is a retelling of a story in a different way, while a sequel is a continuation of an original story, even if that continuation is many years later and is meant to revive a story that has been dormant.

I said earlier that I don't really like the lack of imagination shown by endless sequels and reboots, but sometimes the movies really are pretty good. I really liked Jurassic World! That was fun! I also have enjoyed the new Planet of the Apes movies. Personally, I like the new Star Trek movies, although I understand the objections. I'm looking forward to the Star Wars movies too.

I just wish there were more original ideas. That's why I'm REALLY looking forward to The Martian.

At least a part of the problem with Hollywood finding original material is that, once upon a time, they used to make movies out of classic literature or popular books, but since no one actually reads books anymore (including the writers), that no longer works. How can you do a movie about "Hamlet" when:
a) No one has read it,

Maybe they could use CGI to do Hamlet with pigs?

(Technically, I don't think you can call doing a movie version of Shakespeare "original".)

My wife and I were talking about this last night, and it seems like all the most original entertainment these dys is Fremont so-called "indie" filmmakers and also the so-called "golden age of TV" --- the really high quality programming being put out by premium cable channels. Big budget, mainstream movies are sometimes great, but seldom original, these days.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;Z0GFRcFm-aY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Z0GFRcFm-aY[/video]

Good point. I never made a reference to her weight as I think that is cruel; I just don't think she's the least bit funny. And why did anyone think they needed to remake this movie? To be honest, its not a great movie, but the cast is pretty darn near perfect (although Rick Moranis is a bit too goofy for my taste). I have it on DVD and enjoy it, but with different actors playing the parts played by Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, the movie would have been pretty bad.

Not a great movie? What?! The second wasn't all that good I will give you that. Ramis and Murray were great together, throw in Akroyd and yes like you say, darn near perfect cast. And without them the movie probably wouldn't have been worth a darn. Would Iron Man be as good without Downey Jr? Star Wars or Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford? Even the quality of 007 films revolves around who is 007.

I like some of the reboots. Though the only one that comes to mind is Star Trek. I never sat through any of the original Star Treks, but I love the new ones. Sure anxious to see the new Star Wars for sure...I agree it is a sequel, not a reboot. Jurassic World also. Haven't seen Mad Max, but I think it is some sort of continuation of the story, though the originals weren't exactly sequels per say. J.J. Abrams doing both Star Wars and Star Trek, I find that funny.

As for the Ghostbusters film. I would have to agree that McCarthy is a horrible choice for the lead role. Not because of her weight or looks or anything, she just doesn't fit the part. No one can replace those guys, but they can do better than the cast they have now. Zooey Deschanel comes to mind. Mayim Bialik can get nerdy as proved in The Big Bang Theory, could fill in for Egon, Linda Cardellini (Velma) for Ray.. Anyway... much better choices out there.

At my old work, we would make our own fancast for a Ghostbusters reboot (we had a lot of downtime). Robert Downey Jr for Vakeman, Jay Baruchel (Sorcerers Apprenitice) as Egon, Ludacris or Tyrese Gibson for Winston.. never could find someone for Ray we only settle on NOT Set Rogen.

I think they find the river of ectoplasm at the bottom of Carcoon.. oops spoiler alert.

"I looked at the trap Ray" HAHA I love it.

Mike

a) No one has read it,

Maybe they could use CGI to do Hamlet with pigs?

(Technically, I don't think you can call doing a movie version of Shakespeare "original".)

My wife and I were talking about this last night, and it seems like all the most original entertainment these dys is Fremont so-called "indie" filmmakers and also the so-called "golden age of TV" --- the really high quality programming being put out by premium cable channels. Big budget, mainstream movies are sometimes great, but seldom original, these days.

For what it's worth, Shakespeare borrowed all of his plots. There are older versions of the Hamlet story out there. If Shakespeare were alive today, he'd be writing for TV or the movies.
There have been many, many films in recent years based on Shakespeare. Jane Austen had her vogue, too.

And what books were more popular than the Harry Potter series?

For what it's worth, Shakespeare borrowed all of his plots. There are older versions of the Hamlet story out there. If Shakespeare were alive today, he'd be writing for TV or the movies.
There have been many, many films in recent years based on Shakespeare. Jane Austen had her vogue, too.

And what books were more popular than the Harry Potter series?

True, many of these stories are recycled, even by Shakespeare. But when you said they used to make movies out of classic books or literature, I was thinking in terms of using the dialog and setting, etc. Films based on Shakespeare usually use his language, which is what he is famous for.

But it's true that certain stories are retold over and over again in new ways. I read an article recently about how some of the characters and their story lines in Game of a Thrones very closely parallel certain classical tragedies going all the way back to the Greeks.

True, many of these stories are recycled, even by Shakespeare. But when you said they used to make movies out of classic books or literature, I was thinking in terms of using the dialog and setting, etc. Films based on Shakespeare usually use his language, which is what he is famous for.

Not me, Peartree said it.

I agree with Mushtang that a reboot is a retelling of a story in a different way, while a sequel is a continuation of an original story, even if that continuation is many years later and is meant to revive a story that has been dormant.

I said earlier that I don't really like the lack of imagination shown by endless sequels and reboots, but sometimes the movies really are pretty good. I really liked Jurassic World! That was fun! I also have enjoyed the new Planet of the Apes movies. Personally, I like the new Star Trek movies, although I understand the objections. I'm looking forward to the Star Wars movies too.

I just wish there were more original ideas. That's why I'm REALLY looking forward to The Martian.

Well.... I saw "Terminator Genisys" tonight. I had not even been anticipating it that much, but it was a weird day and at 9:45 I got to wondering... is it playing now and could see it tonight? Yep, a 10:20 showing.

It fits more into the category of sequel since it takes the original movie's 1984 timeline and then..... [spoilers]. Wasn't practical to have the same actors as in the original so those parts were re-cast, such as Sarah Connor being played by the Mother of Dragons. I mean, Emilia Clarke. Though they worked out a way to have Ah-Nuld in it, both current-age and CGI younger 1984 versions. And another actor from the original is in it. A notable actor playing a new role is Matt Smith, who played the 11th Doctor in Doctor Who.

I LIKED IT.

There's some mixture of elements in the first two movies, even though this is a sequel. Also a bit of Back to the Future and even a dash of Blue Thunder. Lots of action, of course, but also a crap-load of story going on with a few "WTF" moments (in the sense of surprises, not crappy), even some funny moments.

As for other movies that get sequels.... it's all about how good each sequel is. To me, Aliens was a better movie, than Alien was. The three Star Wars "Prequels", were very disappointing with effects over plot and silly alien creatures that I had to figure some were created just to show off for the Boss - George Lucas (I do not even mean JarJar, the less said about him the better). Will Episode 7 be more like the original three, or the prequels? Well, looks more like the original three. There was no purpose to make yet another one that would be as crappy as the prequels were.

Remakes, those depend. I LOVED Ben Stiller's the Secret Life of Walter Mitty. And yes I saw the original with Danny Kaye but never really got into it. Of course his is not just a remake since the story is a lot different, just uses the basic premise.

Kristen Wiig was great in that movie (And may be great in The Martian as the NASA PR person, long as she does not get out of control). But I hated about 3/4 of the characters she did on SNL.... annoying (Checkout lady at Target), annoying (Lawrence Welk Show baby-armed terrible singer), annoying (Gilly), and other annoying characters.

So, Melissa McCarthy....she has been good and funny in some stuff, and in some other stuff that wasn't very good. I think in the ones that were not very good..... for the most part it wasn't her but the character and the script..... and the director. I mean, other comedic actresses would not have done better and could have done a lot worse in those same exact movies.

Same could be said for some actors like Jim Carrey and Will Ferrell. They have made some fantastic movies, and some horrible unfunny bombs. "Land of the Lost", I think Ferrell personally pushed to get that movie made, if so then that's all on him, and OMG did that stink. So did "Bewitched" which also had Ferrell as Darren Stevens. While OTOH some other TV inspired movies turned out well, like the Addams Family, and the Brady Bunch movie.

Of course, if there were no movies made of TV shows, we'd have missed a lot of great Star Trek movies with the original cast (usually the even-numbered ones were good) and the Next Generation's "First Contact" movie. The recent two, that imploded Star Trek History, I watched. But for one, I hate how they ruined established history (Canon) in big ways (Vulcan destroyed, unforgiveable), and for also blowing a lot of what made Star Trek so special, going for emphasis on mind-numbing effects over storyline (see also Star Wars Prequels).

Last edited:
Not a great movie? What?! The second wasn't all that good I will give you that. Ramis and Murray were great together, throw in Akroyd and yes like you say, darn near perfect cast. And without them the movie probably wouldn't have been worth a darn.

This is what I was referring to; the cast. Swap out any of the three main guys and this movie would have been on life support, or worse. In my opinion, a great movie should allow a little more flexibility in the cast.

I was also going to say that I have never seen her in anything that I actually liked and then I remembered she was in Gilmore Girls. She played Sookie. She did a great job on that wonderful show.

Yes, she was great in that one.

Agree to disagree then.

Not really a definition subject to individual opinion.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reboot_(fiction)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequel

Reboots are completely different animals than sequels. A reboot is a reprise of an original movie, with a different cast and script and feel. A reboot typically resets the "clock" associated with a series of movies to the beginning killing any continuity with other versions of the movie, while sequels continue the timeline of the original. A sequel continues the feel of the first movie, usually with the same cast and significant continuity, building in what has happened earlier.

For example: The two newest Star Trek movies with Chris Pine are a reboot and a sequel to that reboot, when compared to the original Star Trek movie and all the sequels that came after, which were of variable quality....;)

Last edited:
No, those are sequels, not re-boots. It doesn't matter how much time has passed between movies, if you're continuing the story line like they are in all those examples then it's just a sequel.

A re-boot is when you start the story over from the beginning and it goes down a different path. There were 3 Spider-Man movies made with Tobey Maguire, the last one came out in 2007. In 2012 they did a re-boot with Andrew Garfield where they started over and there was a different way that he became Spider-Man, his powers were different, etc. Those weren't sequels to the previous movies. Even the Tobey Maquire movies were re-boots because there were earlier Spider-Man movies made.

Same thing with Batman. The Christian Bale re-boot movies were a completely different arc than the ones where Michael Keaton was Bruce Wayne. The George Clooney Batman was a sequel to the Michael Keaton Batman, not a re-boot.

Star Wars Episode VII is not a re-boot. Neither is Independence Day, nor Jurassic World. It's too early to tell if the new Ghostbusters will be or not, but from what I've read it looks like it probably will be.

I just saw 'Terminator Genesys' and I, for one, am happy Arnold is back :)

I just saw 'Terminator Genesys' and I, for one, am happy Arnold is back :)

As I said, I saw that too. Really liked it.

The way the storyline goes..... while technically it is a sequel, the sequel story "reboots" a number of things, in a clever way (well, I liked and could understand how they accomplished it). Can't even say more than that without spoiling any of it.

To coin a term, the movie is sort of a Sequboot.....

- George Gassaway

Back