Suggestions for Mach Breaker?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am an L2
Just broke 1 mile at LDRS

I don't see getting my L3 due to expense

Are there options to break mach with an L2 sized rocket? Using a Vmax motor?

Suggestions?

Thanks

I am an L2
Just broke 1 mile at LDRS

I don't see getting my L3 due to expense

Are there options to break mach with an L2 sized rocket? Using a Vmax motor?

Suggestions?

Thanks

You might want to look at a rocketry warehouse/wildman 2.2"/38mm or 3"/54mm rocket, there are lots of options and will break mach on J-L motors. Something like a 3" Darkstar will break mach on a fast burning mid K or large K/small L.

MD 38/54mm is also a great option.

How many machs do you want to break? Kinda depends on your flying field and recovery options. But mach 1 on l1 or l2 motors really isn't a problem.

Smacked Mach a few times in my Always Ready Rocketry Basic Blues 3" with a 54mm MMT. L265, L1000, K940, etc, etc.

look at my sig... mach is pretty easy with L2. a 54mm thin wall FG kit with a good sized 38mm J will do it no problem. 2.6" with a full J will. 3" with a full K or baby L will too.

Last edited:
Mach recognizes no cert level. Can be easily done on L2 motors.

Later!

--Coop

Wildmans PunisheR is a speed demon.

Not minimum diameter but weighs significantly less weight than a full size 3 inch rocket like the original DarkStar 3 inch.

Mine was 5lbs built without motor, a 3 inch rocket with 54mm motor mount.

Kenny

Last edited:
Mach is easy to break but a Vmax is not your buddy for that goal. They don't give you the long gear effect due to their short burn time so after the 4 tenths of a second or so, the rocket immediately starts slowing down. If you didn't get it in under a half a second, you aren't going to.

Another thing that might need adjusting is the L2 sized rocket idea. You'd be better off with a L2 motor in a L1 size rocket. That's a sure fire guarantee.

Madcow Screech. Aerotech J510W's in a 38/1320 case, or any of the Loki 38/1200's hit mach nicely.
https://www.madcowrocketry.com/2-6-thin-wall-fiberglass-dual-deploy-screech/

17772071686_b19e3d2372.jpg
17612107379_3410a67086.jpg

18593955203_b98d2eb144.jpg
19028877809_82e0f0bebc.jpg

LOC vulcanite and nuke pro max are both mach capable on L2 motors.

I have a 4" rocket built from LOC tubing with a 2 layers 6 oz glass coating and 1/4" plywood fins with tip to tip glass. Weighs about 10 lbs without a motor. It hit Mach 1.2 on a Pro54 6GXL L935 and only went about 9,500 ft.

As other have said, a smaller, lighter rocket will easily hit Mach with L2 motors and certainly go faster and higher than mine.

I would suggest you consider the altitude and factor that into your flying field. Mach is nice but if you can't get it back......

Good Luck

I have a 4" rocket built from LOC tubing with a 2 layers 6 oz glass coating and 1/4" plywood fins with tip to tip glass. Weighs about 10 lbs without a motor. It hit Mach 1.2 on a Pro54 6GXL L935 and only went about 9,500 ft.

As other have said, a smaller, lighter rocket will easily hit Mach with L2 motors and certainly go faster and higher than mine.

I would suggest you consider the altitude and factor that into your flying field. Mach is nice but if you can't get it back......

Good Luck

Good tips. I went a little over mach 1 on a 12 lb rocket (no motor) on an L935 to about 8000 ft. This was my 5.5 inch extended Polecat Nike Smoke. It was 83 '' tall. Extended for dual deploy, no tip to tip. Mach 1 is not hard, all depends on what you want to accomplish, how big of motor you want to use, and how high that you want your rocket to go. Apogee Aspire will go mach 1 on g motor as said above, but getting electronics in to verify is easier on a slightly bigger rocket such as 54 mm min. diameter or larger. Mach 2 is harder, requires pretty good waiver for higher altitudes and good search and recovery methods. Mach 3 is for the serious and probably requires a few trials to achieve (also translates to bigger wallet). 2000 mph is a pretty good milestone for after mach 2. Good luck. I am working on mach 2.

I will need to look into a new rocket to do this....

I thought getting mach was more difficult. It seems mach 1 is not really that hard - just the right motor/rocket combination

My L2 rocket is the X-celerator. It is 4" diameter and has split fins.
I just flew it on an L1000. Got to 8300+ feet and 880 ft/sec
Fully loaded with motor it weighed a tad over 18 pounds

Now my L1 rocket was the Ariel. Looking at some stock sims it should achieve Mach 1 with the right motor. I need to check my build against the stock file.
Just hope it holds together - but I built it pretty good (no reinforcements though)

I will need to look into a new rocket to do this....

I thought getting mach was more difficult. It seems mach 1 is not really that hard - just the right motor/rocket combination

My L2 rocket is the X-celerator. It is 4" diameter and has split fins.
I just flew it on an L1000. Got to 8300+ feet and 880 ft/sec
Fully loaded with motor it weighed a tad over 18 pounds

Now my L1 rocket was the Ariel. Looking at some stock sims it should achieve Mach 1 with the right motor. I need to check my build against the stock file.
Just hope it holds together - but I built it pretty good (no reinforcements though)

It is a real thrill to get your first mach one. Punch through it. Don't work up to it. Have fun and enjoy!

got to 1.5 mach with my unmodified LOC vulconite. No glass, no epoxy..you just don't need those boat anchors. You just need the J600.
Beat that on my wildman DD with the L935....

got to 1.5 mach with my unmodified LOC vulconite. No glass, no epoxy..you just don't need those boat anchors. You just need the J600.
Beat that on my wildman DD with the L935....

I've got a Vulcanite I'm just dying to toss a J510W in.... mmmm Wonder if it'll hold a K1127....

mmmm Wonder if it'll hold a K1127....

My guess if it does, it won't for long! I bet somewhere in the flight profile you will find the speed of paper. I know it's a bit north of M1.4 but how much? I guessing not a whole lot.

I lost my mach 2 capable 54 mm min. diameter Space Cowboy on a K300 going an estimated mach 1.3 to around 20 k. I am rebuilding from scratch. It weighed under 10 lbs with motor.

The PML Ariel? Does it have the plastic Quantum tube? If so, I believe high-speed flights are not recommended, as the plastic can't take it.

Don't forget the DD upgrade :p Dunno why anyone makes a kit to go over a mile single deploy :)

Because DD in a 29mm is a pain in the butt. The av-bay is way too small and difficult to prep, at least for me (diminishing eyesight and non-nimble fingers).

The BH29 seems pretty heavy and durable for its size, so it can drop quickly from a mile with no damage with just a streamer/small chute.

Last edited:
Don't forget the DD upgrade :p Dunno why anyone makes a kit to go over a mile single deploy :)

I tend to agree with you, but then I remember getting chastised in a post for letting my "East Coast" show. From what I've gathered, when flying on the wide open spaces in the west, popping the main at a mile or two isn't considered too much of an issue. It just means you have to drive a few minutes more to get the rocket. Doing that on the East Coast is definitively an issue.

Last edited:
Back