Wildman Jayhawk motor retention

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

75Grandville

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen the build thread, but didn't want to hijack that.

I was wondering if anyone has tried (or thought about trying) a Giant Leap slimline retainer, and keeping the retainer inside the tailcone. Or an AeroPack MD retainer, and again keeping the motor flush with the tailcone, just for the sake of appearance.

My concern is melting the tailcone. I've actually got a slimline somewhere, just need to dig it out and see if it fits. MD would look cooler, but then I would need to manage all of the extensions.

I am most of the way through building mine. I have a regular Aeropac recessed all but about an 1/8" into the tail cone. Had to leave the 1/8" out so I could get ahold of the cap to screw off.

I think I remember CJ sharing that in tight quarters like this he will drill a hole in retainer cap and use a small finishing nail to snug/loosen the cap as needed.

Kenny

I am most of the way through building mine. I have a regular Aeropac recessed all but about an 1/8" into the tail cone. Had to leave the 1/8" out so I could get ahold of the cap to screw off.

On my 4" Polecat Jayhawk, I mounted the Aero Pack up inside the fiberglass tailcone, and ended up scraping skin off my fingers a few times reaching inside to screw on / off the cap. But it did fit and looked okay. The Aero Pack cap itself is a tight fit inside the 2.6" tailcone, however, so IMHO you'll have to either leave a little showing (like Dennis) or modify a cap and use a tool like CJ describes.

Interestingly, the newer CTI 54mm aft closures are now drilled that way also.

Last edited:
Back